Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 AM

36 posts, read 103,106 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of some complexes that will rent to people with "not so hot credit". I am starting a new job and my offer letter was 41k. This is my first full time "real job". I have some rental history from living with my parents. I am looking in Boynton/Boca/Coral Springs/Deerfield etc. Basically anywhere that is in driving distance to my new job on Glades Rd. I of course would want a safe area as I am a single younger (25) female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 02:36 PM

232 posts, read 773,271 times
Check out the below link - one idea might be to find a condo to rent from a owner via craigslist or newspapaer. They do not want to sell the condo/townhouse due to the market and are trying rent. Chances are they will rely on refenences rather then a credit check.

Renting With Bad Credit - How To Rent An Apartment With Bad Credit

Old 09-22-2010, 05:51 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpink View Post
Anyone know of some complexes that will rent to people with "not so hot credit". I am starting a new job and my offer letter was 41k. This is my first full time "real job". I have some rental history from living with my parents. I am looking in Boynton/Boca/Coral Springs/Deerfield etc. Basically anywhere that is in driving distance to my new job on Glades Rd. I of course would want a safe area as I am a single younger (25) female.
Most apartments are not concerned with credit or history, it' the private owners that request those details.

That's a pretty good salary and I'm amazed you even found a job here under the current economic conditions, let me guess it's in the medical field?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:56 PM

36 posts, read 103,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Most apartments are not concerned with credit or history, it' the private owners that request those details.

That's a pretty good salary and I'm amazed you even found a job here under the current economic conditions, let me guess it's in the medical field?
Thanks for that info.. Ill be down there Sunday to check things out

Old 09-24-2010, 07:25 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post

Pretty good salary for Palm Beach County? Hmmm. Let's see: take home pay after taxes probably about $3000/mth, probably less. Rent probably about a $1000/month for a safe, decent place, food, $200 (at a minimum), car insurance $100, cell phone $50, high speed internet $50, TV another $20-50 depending on tastes, gas, car maintenance (depends on what you drive).

That's about 1/2 of your take home pay, entertainment not included. If you are single (even if not) you will probably want to go out once or twice a week, let's say $30-$50/night, that's $300-$400/month. If you have some student loans or a car payment, you are quickly approaching your salary limit. This also assumes that you will be cooking all your meals and taking them to work, no eating out. Also assumes no credit card debt you are paying off.

Be ready for extra expenses coming down here - changing tags from another state to FL, maybe higher car insurance (I moved from Missouri and it was higher here), one or two rents down and security deposit for whatever place you end up renting etc.

Can you survive on less? Sure, you don't need to go out, you don't really need internet (public library should have one for free), you don't need cable TV, you can live in a cheaper, less safe place, you can eat Ramen noodles and mac&cheese every day or you can shop at a farmers market for veggies. But, for average American lifestyle $41K/yr here is barely making it.

Then you also need to save some money for when your car breaks down or for any other unforeseen expense.

Saving for a home? Sure, if you can forgo all the above extra expenses, but it will be a long, difficult road.

My $0.02.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:43 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Pretty good salary for Palm Beach County? Hmmm. Let's see: take home pay after taxes probably about $3000/mth, probably less. Rent probably about a $1000/month for a safe, decent place, food, $200 (at a minimum), car insurance $100, cell phone $50, high speed internet $50, TV another $20-50 depending on tastes, gas, car maintenance (depends on what you drive).

That's about 1/2 of your take home pay, entertainment not included. If you are single (even if not) you will probably want to go out once or twice a week, let's say $30-$50/night, that's $300-$400/month. If you have some student loans or a car payment, you are quickly approaching your salary limit. This also assumes that you will be cooking all your meals and taking them to work, no eating out. Also assumes no credit card debt you are paying off.

Be ready for extra expenses coming down here - changing tags from another state to FL, maybe higher car insurance (I moved from Missouri and it was higher here), one or two rents down and security deposit for whatever place you end up renting etc.

Can you survive on less? Sure, you don't need to go out, you don't really need internet (public library should have one for free), you don't need cable TV, you can live in a cheaper, less safe place, you can eat Ramen noodles and mac&cheese every day or you can shop at a farmers market for veggies. But, for average American lifestyle $41K/yr here is barely making it.

Then you also need to save some money for when your car breaks down or for any other unforeseen expense.

Saving for a home? Sure, if you can forgo all the above extra expenses, but it will be a long, difficult road.

My $0.02.
That's the average for Palm Beach County (around $40K or so), did not say it's a livable wage or a means of keeping up with the lifestyle here. I agree with 100% on your points.

I just don't see that many jobs paying that well as I use to see, I know a lot of qualified people who can't even get a job paying that, reason I questioned the original poster on the line of work, I got no answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach