Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ra1007 View Post
Why Texas and not Florida?
More affordable for starters, more attractive for business.

Texas currently has a 7.9% Unemployment rate, Florida is 12% and Palm Beach County is 12.4%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 04:04 AM

239 posts, read 474,012 times
Right, so Florida should make itself more attractive to businesses.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:34 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
I look at it this way, No one has a crystal ball and No one knows for sure what is going to happen...It would be nice to see company's coming here but the Dimise of so many were basically due to the economy and I do think its going to come back its all a matter of when...

Old 12-02-2010, 07:32 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
There are no real good jobs coming to South Florida, High Tech from California will go elsewhere if it leaves more than likely Texas. Why move from one frying pan to another, with cost of living and cost of doing business being very high? Biotech is the only spinoff from California's industry that came here and that alone is very small compared to the population.

Unemployment in high, a lot of people have jobs in fields with nothing to fall back on, making good salaries but no idea how long it will last.
Why the doom and gloom?

Texas has higher property taxes and income taxes that effect residents.

Florida's COL has dropped substantially.

Dec. 2009 cost of living index in West Palm Beach: 91.3 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/West-P...#ixzz16xpi2AKJ

There have been stories in the past year about how companies have been shopping the area once again for relos and to set up shop due to the fall in COL since the housing bust. The early-mid 2000s simply made it difficult for them to set up shop here because of the expense.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:30 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Why the doom and gloom?

Texas has higher property taxes and income taxes that effect residents.

Florida's COL has dropped substantially.

Dec. 2009 cost of living index in West Palm Beach: 91.3 (less than average, U.S. average is 100)

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/West-P...#ixzz16xpi2AKJ

There have been stories in the past year about how companies have been shopping the area once again for relos and to set up shop due to the fall in COL since the housing bust. The early-mid 2000s simply made it difficult for them to set up shop here because of the expense.
Doom and Gloom? The truth is no good jobs are coming here, name any and surprise me and I'm not talking about Wal-Mart or a call center but high paying jobs. True that housing has come down but rents are still high

Texas btw does not have personal income taxes and no corporate income tax, Florida has a 5% corporate income tax, thus why Texas is more attractive for business.

Not that I'm saying move to Texas, just the facts of why they are attracting high tech and jobs from elsewhere.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:17 PM

85 posts, read 271,991 times
Fact is>> it is better elsewhere,,,fact is anyone who has left & wanted better conditions,(job,lower unemployment,lower cost of living,less regulation) has never come back to south FL & further they never regretted leaving.>>>BIG DEAL there's no State income tax???? so what you save in taxes you make up for in permit fee's for capital improvements on your home,higher ga$ prices because of higher tax rates in Ga$,,higher food prices,impact fee's.vehicle registration fee's (1st timers get screwed) business taxes are higher,various industry's must pay increases every year.The 16 yrs I been in business both my county licensing fee's,occupational fee's registration fee's & every town & municipality fee's have increased. there ain't one fee's this County never liked nor neglected to pass,or neglected to collect.
I don't pay for it ultimately the consumer does.Only because I have stayed on the cutting edge of innovation & diversification & I have a good referral base I am still in business & still (yes) making a profit,unlike all the other loser company's fly by nighters in this transient south fl,some call paradise.
Texas looks fine from here,however I am north bound,soon house currently under contract,,,seesh,,can't wait to kiss Soth FL goodbye

Old 12-04-2010, 07:12 PM

well that maybe for you..the GRASS ISNT GREENER ON THE SIDE its just different..and the fact the ECONOMY has affected everyone and every state like anywhere else it depends on what u do for a living...my dh's old collegues from NYC still out of work and guess what? THEY ALL LOST their unemployment extension and now what do they do? and quiet a few more are going to loose their jobs so Its no better up north...

Old 12-04-2010, 08:01 PM

239 posts, read 474,012 times
ITA. I'm up North, GL if you're coming here. They're eating us for breakfast sadly. Let us know how it turns out for you. I'm really dying to hear it. I think it's so great that you're here posting even though you can't stand south Florida.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:37 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Interesting thread. Lot of honest people telling it like it is. We visited Pompano Beach. I enjoyed the weather in December; I enjoyed the public transportation and the people I met on the public transportation, but found it a little boring. Beyond the tourist traps, there just was not much to do. I really hated the parking meters on the beach. I think I would enjoy Key West more. Our beaches in North Carolina are more pretty than anything I saw on the Altantic Ocean side. The drivers were so impatient too. You would think that a state that makes so much off tourists would be more tolerant that we sometimes had to slow down a bit to know where to go next. A few well placed traffic signs would be a help too. When we left Florida, my husband said, "I didn't loose anything in Florida so there is no reason to go back." I don't think Florida is a place I would ever want to live. We may visit again on the Gulf side or drive to Key West or take a ship from Charleston.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:54 PM

Florida isn't for everyone obviously..WE lived in NC for 2.5 very long years and it wasn't our cup of tea...and being from NYC and then living in Colorado, NJ and NC ....Florida is our home and where our family belongs...as all of us have never been happier anywhere else...but that is us...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach