Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:12 AM

522 posts, read 1,610,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Apparently, you've met the wrong folks here. I'm originally from here and there are things I don't like about my city, but there are a lot of things I do. I was in South Florida this past summer and found a lot that I did like, and a lot of things I didn't like, as your previous post mention. What don't you like about Louisville~? I don't like the drivers, and think ya'll drive better down there. I am very friendly person and maybe too friendly. I strike up conversations and when I was in Florida, not a lot of people do. They were rude and cold to me when I did. Few people I did meet, did return the conversation back to me. I loved the weather and the beach, and plan to go back there again.
Well, as I've said, I've only been here 6 months so I am hoping before I leave I can at least meet A COUPLE of people to be friends with. I have not found the people to be friendly in the least. And my experience in south Florida was different from yours - I found people striking up conversations with me all the time - not so much so in Boca I will admit, but even in Boca I found that to be the case more than Louisville. I, too, love the weather. But to live in FL year round you have to like hot weather or you'll be miserable. I knew alot of people who missed the seasons but I was not among them. The only think I didn't like weather-wise was Christmas never felt like Christmas in FL. I found that a small price to pay for the rest of the year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 11:10 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
What amazes me is seeing people who lived here that left and say how great it is elsewhere, still frequent the forum and make comments. I lived in several states including Florida, I never post in those forums and make comments. I'm not even a Florida native and I don't go to my native state forum on here and blast it and the residents and believe me I could.

If you moved, you moved for a reason. As much as you love some place or miss it, if you can't put food on the table or make ends meet, it doesn't matter where you live. Van down my the river may work for some people but I won't lower my standards too low to live someplace just for the fringe benefits.

Unemployment is high in PB County and the state, more so then other parts of the US. I'm sure there are lot's of people who left here bitter with no regrets and others more bittersweet. When I read people left because of the "heat" I'm like doh!

Old 11-20-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
What amazes me is seeing people who lived here that left and say how great it is elsewhere, still frequent the forum and make comments. I lived in several states including Florida, I never post in those forums and make comments. I'm not even a Florida native and I don't go to my native state forum on here and blast it and the residents and believe me I could.

If you moved, you moved for a reason. As much as you love some place or miss it, if you can't put food on the table or make ends meet, it doesn't matter where you live. Van down my the river may work for some people but I won't lower my standards too low to live someplace just for the fringe benefits.

Unemployment is high in PB County and the state, more so then other parts of the US. I'm sure there are lot's of people who left here bitter with no regrets and others more bittersweet. When I read people left because of the "heat" I'm like doh!
I moved because I had health issues and altho I have insurance it's an HMO and it was hard to find a good primary care doctor who would accept it. I did finally find a really good one but her staff was so incompetent it took at least a month to get a referral - a couple I never DID get. The system here works much more smoothly. And I have no family in Florida and I thought it would be good to be near family - NOT!! I really had not lived around my family for many, many years so I actually did not know them that well. Well, it turns out they are bible thumpers whose entire social life revolves around the church. They are VERY judgemental and I have absolutely NOTHING in common with them! I plan on staying and getting health issues addressed and then hopefully move back to south Florida - but, unfortunately, it DOES depend on money and I must say the horrible economy in FL scares me. Not as much as winter tho - LOL! People complaining about the heat in Florida is funny, right! That's like complaining about the cold in Alaska! Interesting comment about people posting on this forum who no longer live there and DIDN'T LIKE IT. Florida does not evoke nuetral reactions - people tend to either love it or hate it and sometimes both - (can't tell you how many times I heard people say they have a love/hate relationship with Florida) - and I was one of them at times, but they are not nuetral.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:34 PM

623 posts, read 1,303,100 times
Actually have a friend who is the same. She's bitter about places and other things but expresses it VERBALLY so she can hopefully get others to agree with her. She feels lonely if no one agrees with her and very out of control otherwise. She does admit this. Sad really.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:39 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
Well, as I've said, I've only been here 6 months so I am hoping before I leave I can at least meet A COUPLE of people to be friends with. I have not found the people to be friendly in the least. And my experience in south Florida was different from yours - I found people striking up conversations with me all the time - not so much so in Boca I will admit, but even in Boca I found that to be the case more than Louisville. I, too, love the weather. But to live in FL year round you have to like hot weather or you'll be miserable. I knew alot of people who missed the seasons but I was not among them. The only think I didn't like weather-wise was Christmas never felt like Christmas in FL. I found that a small price to pay for the rest of the year!

I also forgot to mention, it could be the area of town your living in too. The farther east you go, the more you will find people that are cold and not friendly. Maybe not everyone, but a lot. That area is like Hwy 22 or 42. I was staying in Delray and found people there to be somewhat friendly. I drove everywhere and even as far as Miami for the 3 weeks I was there. I love the hot weather tho, and right now it is too cold for me here. Anyways, is it a good time to go there around New Years Eve~? That is when I was thinking about going back, but most likely will go back in April.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:49 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanie55 View Post
I moved because I had health issues and altho I have insurance it's an HMO and it was hard to find a good primary care doctor who would accept it. I did finally find a really good one but her staff was so incompetent it took at least a month to get a referral - a couple I never DID get. The system here works much more smoothly. And I have no family in Florida and I thought it would be good to be near family - NOT!! I really had not lived around my family for many, many years so I actually did not know them that well. Well, it turns out they are bible thumpers whose entire social life revolves around the church. They are VERY judgemental and I have absolutely NOTHING in common with them! I plan on staying and getting health issues addressed and then hopefully move back to south Florida - but, unfortunately, it DOES depend on money and I must say the horrible economy in FL scares me. Not as much as winter tho - LOL! People complaining about the heat in Florida is funny, right! That's like complaining about the cold in Alaska! Interesting comment about people posting on this forum who no longer live there and DIDN'T LIKE IT. Florida does not evoke nuetral reactions - people tend to either love it or hate it and sometimes both - (can't tell you how many times I heard people say they have a love/hate relationship with Florida) - and I was one of them at times, but they are not nuetral.

Seems like a lot of people move to Florida for health reasons too instead of here, from what I have heard. We do have a lot of "bible thumpers" and people of faith here being that it is the "Bible Belt", as people call it. We also have a lot of people who have no faith too. In some ways, living in Florida would be good for me. I have family, but we don't speak. I've tried, but it isn't worth being yelled at for no good reason and/or being ignored. Holidays are depressing for me.

Old 11-20-2010, 03:59 PM

272 posts, read 909,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
^^^ Where in SC?
Charleston.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:16 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,919,924 times
^^Ok. Lots of character and charm in Charleston.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:26 PM

272 posts, read 909,148 times
Some of the downtown buildings are beautiful. On the other hand, people who live downtown are so poor, it's really a shame.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I also forgot to mention, it could be the area of town your living in too. The farther east you go, the more you will find people that are cold and not friendly. Maybe not everyone, but a lot. That area is like Hwy 22 or 42. I was staying in Delray and found people there to be somewhat friendly. I drove everywhere and even as far as Miami for the 3 weeks I was there. I love the hot weather tho, and right now it is too cold for me here. Anyways, is it a good time to go there around New Years Eve~? That is when I was thinking about going back, but most likely will go back in April.
I live in J-Town -it's kind of east but not REALLY east. I like Delray alot. April is beautiful in florida. Delray is nice. I really like Deerfield Beach though - check that out if you haven't already. There are nice restaurants down there where you have a full ocean view and the people are extremely friendly, not to mention the beach is beautiful - the water is clear as a bell. I always wanted to live there but unfortunately Deerfield Beach area tends to be either high end or low end housing - not much in the middle. And if you get too far west it tends to be spotty - there are some ghetto areas, especially between US 1 and Powerline. I also like West Palm's beach and the intracoastal up there is beautiful it's alot bigger than in southern Palm Beach County so the water is much prettier. City Place is a nice place to go in West Palm as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach