Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 3,814 times

Advertisements

... I have no clue what to look for! I've looked through most of the posts on here btw.

Nice info and all, but I just wanted to throw out my situation and see what y'all would suggest.

I'm 23 year old male, currently looking to transfer my sales job down to WPB. I am REALLY... REALLY into the whole beach scene. The idea of being a little ways away from Ft Lauderdale and Miami helps my decision as well. Housing (apt/etc) would have to be under a grand. Me being a single dude, I work with what I have! I'm a 'Middle Class' guy.... I just DO NOT like the idea of being 5 minutes from a bad neighborhood. Getting mugged is something I uh.... would like to avoid! The area would help I guess?

I'm also constructing a self ran web-site for products/services that I plan to get up and running soon. So I'll be able to eventually shell out the cash for a nice pad in WPB. If anyone knows of any areas where there are some driven 'wanna make money' folks... that's what I'd like to know too.

After reading the posts, the following seem to be at least worth a though:

City Place
Downtown WPB
Downtown Delray Beach
*Palm Beach Gardens*
Jupiter
Royal Palm Beach
Wellington
West Boynton

I'm still young here... hahaaa. I'll be moving alone, and want to meet a few folks my age and have that nice weather 'year round' like I hear about.

Live music venues, gym locations, downtown nightlife, shopping areas, beaches, etc. They're my scene!

Any suggestions will help. Even if I missed a city that I should know about.

Thanks in advance, people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 02:53 PM

O.K.

Not many responses after 20 views, but I wanted to throw a couple of other things out there too.

How would y'all consider the cost of living out there? I heard a buddy of mine say he paid $8 for a beer there? Some place in WPB anyway. That sounded a little extreme to me.

Is anyone aware of a good apartment complex/community worth checking out?

Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:01 PM

154 posts, read 387,713 times
Boynton Beach maybe like near Federal as west is good but a drive,Lantana is a small berg old Florida too same area near the intracoastal.
The thing is renting at a complex is putting you at risk of shady neighbors.
There are some cool cottages & rooms for rent by owner you may try. but check out the area first daytime and night,, The Roaches come out after dark!!

Old 02-04-2011, 03:14 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,352,134 times
The problem is that the chill "beach scene," especially the laid back places like Lake Worth (some great neighborhoods near downtown such as Parrot Cove or College Park) and Lantana, etc., will come with the issue that you don't want to be too close to grittier elements. I guess the question is, what is a "bad" area to you?

The safe suburban communities might be too boring or more oriented towards families for you, but who knows...?

Old 02-04-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The problem is that the chill "beach scene," especially the laid back places like Lake Worth (some great neighborhoods near downtown such as Parrot Cove or College Park) and Lantana, etc., will come with the issue that you don't want to be too close to grittier elements. I guess the question is, what is a "bad" area to you?

The safe suburban communities might be too boring or more oriented towards families for you, but who knows...?
Crime, man.

Bums on the side of the road asking for change, sirens wailing at all hours.

Pretty much like parts of Houston, TX I used to drive through every now and then.

I'm not a snob, but I need some working class folks around me. Nice clean neighborhoods as well. It shouldn't be that much to ask, but then again, in these times.... sheesh.

Plus on my budget, I know I wouldn't be able to locate my self by a dang golf course or something of the sort. It would be nice, but I'm a realist.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:36 PM

438 posts, read 651,621 times
You might have to make a choice between 'middle-class' and 'affordable'. I think you'll find that much of the Tri-County area is either one or the other, with very little in-between---especially if you want to be near the beach. Have you given any thought to hooking up with a roommate through one of those online roommate services? Thats one way to split your expenses in half with somebody close to your age and who could probably be a hangout buddy, or your future girlfriend, or whatever...

Old 02-04-2011, 04:06 PM

1,071 posts, read 2,887,595 times
WPB is a great place to live if you reside in neighborhoods that are safe. The under $1000/ mo target for housing may just about get you into a safe, nice rental condo or apt but you would not be able to live within walking distance of a beach. My 25 year old single niece moved to the western Boynton Beach area from Virginia last June. She loves it there. Her favorite beach is Delray and is really enjoying Cityplace and Boca festivals, etc. She's met many great friends. Her apt. is a 1/1 with 2 large walk-in closets in a gated complex named Stoneybrook Apt. that has all the amenities. It is located on Boynton Beach Blvd very close to the turnpike exit and across from a beautiful Publix shopping center. She pays $900 per month. If you want a downtown WPB condo, there are many for rent if you can pay a bit more in rent. Best Wishes on your move.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:11 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,054,023 times
You say you want to avoid crime but be in a working class area. Pretty much anywhere working class in the US has crime these days especially with the crappy economy.

In any case compared with a big city, you don't really see a lot of crime and grime in PBC if you stay out of the ghettos, but in a lot of lower middle class areas there are low level crime stuff like break-ins. Not many homeless people in PBC compared with Orlando or bigger urban areas.

Downtown Lake Worth is right over a bridge from the beach and would be a quick drive or bike ride to the beach. Several nice bars and restaurants in the downtown LW area. I'd recommend it as a cheap place to live with stuff to do nearby, but there is crime in the area, stuff like break-ins. There are some new condos around there though that would be more secure.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:52 AM

70 posts, read 221,839 times
West Palm Beach is good, sometimes there are good deals on apartments/rentals just south of Okeechobee Blvd, east of 95 and south of the Palm Beach Atlantic University campus. Based on what you are saying, WPB or Lake Worth sound like good bets for lifestyle factors.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:02 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,352,134 times
Yeah, definitely think if you want the live music, rum bar beach time scene, you should check out downtown Lake Worth (again, neighborhoods such as Parrot Cove), and maybe from downtown/Cityplace -- south of Okeechobee Blvd. in West Palm, east of 95 as Zayetz says.

Also Delray Beach maybe... but Atlantic Ave. caters more towards the young professional set than the bohemian beach vibe of downtown Lake Worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach