Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 06:32 PM

13 posts, read 52,850 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with Calusa and/or Verde Elementary's "pull-out" gifted model vs. a full time center such as Del Prado Elementary or Banyan Elementary?????

I have heard great things about all of these schools but don't know which would be a better fit....full time v. part time.

any help would be appreciated!!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Calusa doesnt have a gifted program as our daughter attends there..We like the School however We would have Chose Del Prado if we were to do it again..She isnt gifted...the kids that are gifted and live in the Calusa District go to Baynan Ive heard good things about that school as well..Our friends love del prado and have been extremely happy there...

I would call the schools and see what difference if any, and ask all your questions...

Old 02-14-2011, 06:48 PM

Actually, Calusa does have a gifted program from what I understand. I called the school today and they said that they have a part time program. I guess that means the kids are in a general education class and then are pulled out for the gifted subjects. According to the Palm beach county schools website, several schools have this model. I am wondering if there is anyone who has experienced this model or can compare it to the other schools (i.e. Del Prado etc).

Old 02-14-2011, 07:06 PM

Interesting it must be new because my daughters friend attends Baynan Elem because of the gifted program and that is where they were sent too. but she is in 5th grade so I guess that would be full time gifted..good luck with where ever you decide...I can tell you the general classes in Calusa are Just Ok...

Old 02-21-2011, 10:12 PM

2 posts, read 16,368 times
Definitely go with Del Prado. I have no experience with Calusa, but attended Del Prado and had a good time, fondest memories of any of my schooling experiences. Although I attended the Del Prado full time gifted program about 20 years ago!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:18 PM

2 posts, read 16,368 times
The reason part time gifted is a poor idea is because it makes for poorly structured learning. The school teacher promises the students will leave homeroom and not miss any core content (ie., she will do science while the student does "gifted science") but inevitably what occurs is student will miss something important in homeroom, or worse, miss snacktime or something that may cause the child to perceive herself as a nonessential spectator of homeroom class, or worse being punished, or even perceived by other homeroom classmates as being unfairly rewarded or "smart." The full-time program is a better choice. The jury's out as to whether part-time is academically beneficial or socially disruptive.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:27 AM

I agree with brp and I also agree with Del Prado which is what I tell most people looking in this area..We are now zoned for Del Prado but my daughter didnt want to move out of Calusa as she is graduating and going onto Omni Middle in August...We wish we would have done Del Prado when we 1st moved down here..

Old 02-22-2011, 09:46 PM

u know what my daughters best friend attends baynan creek because she is gifted and her mother was told there was no full time gifted program obviously I do know what im talking about...because when I brought it to her attention after living here a few years she had no idea that there was a 1/2 day gifted program so I suggest if One has a problem with me dm me and tell me...I do not give out incorrect information because Calusa DOES NOT have a full time Gifted Program....maybe one should read more carefully..Del Prado Does...and for those children zoned for Calusa they have the OPTION to attend Banyan Creek Elem if they are in the Gifted Program...so one should always call the school district regardless as Zoning Does Change...

Old 02-26-2011, 07:22 PM

I went onto the palm beach county schools website and they listed Calusa as having a resource model for gifted at Calusa:
http://www.palmbeachschools.org/ese/...2011782010.pdf

When I called the school and asked they said the same thing.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 7,769 times
My family and friends think this is a horrible school. First their was the principal who stole and was relieved of her duties there. Then all the afterschool clubs were cancelled. They do not check ID's at the fron office and let people randomly sign in and go on campus. The car lines have always been slow and unorganized. The PTA requests money and fundraisers on a monthly basis, all using the kids as pawns, so if the parents do not contribute, the kids do not earn prizes. A mandatory dress code was enforced after school had already started and after the parents all bought new clothes. There is no gymnasium. There are no musical instruments taught. Teachers have referred to students there as "brats". Teachers have outright complained to parents about having a new principal and his lack of communication. Teachers do show favorites there, and many do not return phone calls or emails within a reasonable time period. The school is supposed to use Edline for communication, yet many of the teachers do not. We could go on and on. Del Prado should by no means be rated a 10. They start coaching the kids for FCATS constantly, and receive more funding for higher FCAT scores. Their focus is all about FCAT scores, and not enough about the important items children should be learning. Del Prado and their staff are a huge disppointment, and I would highly advise if you have a choice to go elsewhere, do it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach