Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 01:59 PM

12 posts, read 73,576 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are a late 30's couple here and me and my family are moving to Florida from the UK later this year. We have 3 kids, 16, 13 and 11. Have been looking into which area would be best for them and us. Firstly thought that we would want to live in Coral Springs but after reading a lot of the posts here are now thinking of Parkland and West Boca. We will be renting for the first year probably and want to spend around $2,000 per month for a 3-bed house. Is that realistic?

We are coming to visit next month and will look at all areas but need some good social life especially for the 16yr old. We are used to living not far from London with great restaurants and will need to make a whole new social life.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 07:56 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
$2K/month is somewhat doable but it depends where and what your standards are. One thing with rentals now is due to the downturn in the economy there is a great demand, people are not buying houses as much as they were. I have seen rentals dry up literally, and prices slowly bump up based on this demand. On the flip side there are people who have investment properties that don't want to sell them now because they are upside down, so renting them is a the best option. It will take some work to find some homes, but I would suggest you hook up with a reputable real estate agent and let them know what your looking for.

Another thing, have you ever been to South Florida? Have you visited, why are you choosing to move here? Job? Family? or just permanent vacation?

There are a lot of Brits here, I have worked and work with a few. South Florida is very culturally diverse, more so the further south you go where it quickly becomes South America.

If you do not have a job lined up and are not very wealthy, then I suggest you rethink your move. The Job market here is not so great right now, unless your in the medical field. I'm not sure how your handling Visas, work permits and etc. either. All of this can be stressful on H1B holders, I know because plenty of my coworkers had to deal with this for years before getting a Green Card.

If you are looking for the London lifestyle, you will not find it here. My one British coworker always told me that people here are not friendly when you walk into a Pub compared to the UK, I can't say this is 100% accurate based on my experiences but you may find people to be different then what you are use to.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 PM

12 posts, read 73,576 times
Thanks for the message. We have been to south Florida many times and are looking for a better quality of life as well as the good weather. We will be buying a business and are eligible for an L1 visa as my husband owns a company here in the UK with his brother which will continue to run. I am sure that the people are much more friendly than us Londoners. We are known to be extremely cautious and uptight. I don't know any of my neighbours here whatsoever and I live in a small cul-de-sac (dead-end road). We are not looking for the London lifestyle at all. Just a more relaxed pace of life and making some good friends.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:42 AM

27 posts, read 65,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
$2K/month is somewhat doable but it depends where and what your standards are. One thing with rentals now is due to the downturn in the economy there is a great demand, people are not buying houses as much as they were. I have seen rentals dry up literally, and prices slowly bump up based on this demand. On the flip side there are people who have investment properties that don't want to sell them now because they are upside down, so renting them is a the best option. It will take some work to find some homes, but I would suggest you hook up with a reputable real estate agent and let them know what your looking for.

Another thing, have you ever been to South Florida? Have you visited, why are you choosing to move here? Job? Family? or just permanent vacation?

There are a lot of Brits here, I have worked and work with a few. South Florida is very culturally diverse, more so the further south you go where it quickly becomes South America.

If you do not have a job lined up and are not very wealthy, then I suggest you rethink your move. The Job market here is not so great right now, unless your in the medical field. I'm not sure how your handling Visas, work permits and etc. either. All of this can be stressful on H1B holders, I know because plenty of my coworkers had to deal with this for years before getting a Green Card.

If you are looking for the London lifestyle, you will not find it here. My one British coworker always told me that people here are not friendly when you walk into a Pub compared to the UK, I can't say this is 100% accurate based on my experiences but you may find people to be different then what you are use to.
Hi I picked up your thread as it pertains to me in a sense.

I'm a US citizen but been in europe for decades now, (came to study and stayed) But looking to move back soon. From Ft Lauderdale Fla
Oakland pk broward , originally but dont like the area anymore. looking to move little further up north east coast and found some reasonable priced places in Riviera Beach 33418 and wondered if a good place to live. Can work online so job not important, but area is!

Any local info would be appreciated

Thanks

Old 03-05-2011, 10:42 AM

323 posts, read 634,067 times
Hi, I am from the NY/CT area and am looking to possibly move to Florida. Look into Jupiter, FL. They have great schools, low crime, and lots of restaurants. Also, beaches are gorgeous! It is a higher-end area with good areas surrounding it, so you will feel comfortable. Good luck!

Old 03-09-2011, 06:57 AM

27 posts, read 65,552 times
Default Thanks HAT456

Thanks for suggestion HAT456, know jupiter well got family living just up road in hobe sound. I think Jupiters a bit rich for my blood. But wish i could afford it. I'm on a strict budget ( which is decreasing daily ???) $150k is top dollar hopefully alot less, I'm really looking for local neighborhood info, I find these forums great for local knowledge and the subscibers, are great for extoling that.

Thanks again Bob

Old 03-09-2011, 07:44 AM

323 posts, read 634,067 times
I'll keep reading for local info also! Good luck.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:47 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,399,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdun1 View Post
Thanks for suggestion HAT456, know jupiter well got family living just up road in hobe sound. I think Jupiters a bit rich for my blood. But wish i could afford it. I'm on a strict budget ( which is decreasing daily ???) $150k is top dollar hopefully alot less, I'm really looking for local neighborhood info, I find these forums great for local knowledge and the subscibers, are great for extoling that.

Thanks again Bob
You can buy a home under 150k in Jupiter. It might need a little work, but it can be done. Jupiter Village, and a couple other areas have some nicer options.
Boynton has some decent areas that would give you more homes to chose from.

Old 03-24-2011, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,293 times
Hi we are looking to move to the Orlando area from the UK and we are not sure how the school system works, for our son who is 14. Would he be set back a year or could he start from where he left off in the UK? Also what are the best areas for schools as we have read many conflicting reports. This is the most important aspect of the move as this will have to determine where we live.

Does the school system work in the same way as the UK in respect of you need to be in an 'enchacement' area to get a place in the school.

Any response would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,199 times
Hi, we just moved from the UK 4 months ago, we used to live near London too. West Palm Beach seems great so far, there is a lot to do, I think you would like it.
We rent a 2-bed house for $750/month. It is a lot cheaper here than in Ft Lauderdale where we were initially looking at.
I don't know about schools, our son is only 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach