Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:28 PM

8 posts, read 34,214 times

Advertisements

LoxSFL, I would love to see you get to any beach in 20 minutes! You would be lucky to get to the Wellington Mall (on 441) in 20 minutes especially if you live out west behind the high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 PM

11 posts, read 39,586 times
Having grown up here, moved away, and then come back here to raise my children, I can say that Loxahatchee has its positives and negatives.

If you enjoy quiet country life in an idyllic community where you can enjoy your privacy, see the stars and hear the bullfrogs at night, keep a couple of horses or chickens for fresh eggs, drive whatever you want without a homeowners association chastising you, play your music as loudly as you want, and just have a lot of space and peace, it may be your thing. I have lived in the so-called "planned" communities here in South Florida and not had a good experience at all. My dog was too big, my mailbox was the wrong size and height, they didn't like my pickup truck (a brand new one, not rusted etc), my grass exceeded 0.50" at times (I was once sent a violation letter because it was 0.40 inches too high). That kind of nazi-like environment is really not my thing, and I enjoy my freedoms and privacy out here in my non-planned, non-gated community.

Now, some negatives....yes, there are a lot of so-called "rednecks", but that is really a subjective title and rather offensive on some levels. Besides, there has been a lot more diversity in the past few years, which is nice. Also, if you don't like plentiful wildlife (including an occasional gator!), larger than normal insects, dirt roads, large trucks, and some commuting time, you may not enjoy it here. Depending on where you live in Loxahatchee, it may take a long time to reach work or a major highway. I live right on the edge of the Acreage and it takes me 13 minutes exactly to reach the Turnpike. Not bad considering the quality of life out here. Yes, there is significant volume on the East/West connector roads, but that should tell you something about people not wanting to live further east!

Overall, I would say that if I had to live in South Florida, this is the only place I would ever consider. The people are nice, the schools are good, the dirt roads remind me of my childhood, the smells of horses and fresh air are everywhere, and I can still let my kids play in the yard without worrying about a drive by or an abduction.

I'll take Loxahatchee any day over the fake, overly-manicured planned communities with grandiose names like "Olympia'"and "Versailles" around here. LMAO. Who do these people think they are? Talk about delusions of grandeur.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:49 PM

70 posts, read 176,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Into_The_Mystic View Post
Having grown up here, moved away, and then come back here to raise my children, I can say that Loxahatchee has its positives and negatives.

If you enjoy quiet country life in an idyllic community where you can enjoy your privacy, see the stars and hear the bullfrogs at night, keep a couple of horses or chickens for fresh eggs, drive whatever you want without a homeowners association chastising you, play your music as loudly as you want, and just have a lot of space and peace, it may be your thing. I have lived in the so-called "planned" communities here in South Florida and not had a good experience at all. My dog was too big, my mailbox was the wrong size and height, they didn't like my pickup truck (a brand new one, not rusted etc), my grass exceeded 0.50" at times (I was once sent a violation letter because it was 0.40 inches too high). That kind of nazi-like environment is really not my thing, and I enjoy my freedoms and privacy out here in my non-planned, non-gated community.

Now, some negatives....yes, there are a lot of so-called "rednecks", but that is really a subjective title and rather offensive on some levels. Besides, there has been a lot more diversity in the past few years, which is nice. Also, if you don't like plentiful wildlife (including an occasional gator!), larger than normal insects, dirt roads, large trucks, and some commuting time, you may not enjoy it here. Depending on where you live in Loxahatchee, it may take a long time to reach work or a major highway. I live right on the edge of the Acreage and it takes me 13 minutes exactly to reach the Turnpike. Not bad considering the quality of life out here. Yes, there is significant volume on the East/West connector roads, but that should tell you something about people not wanting to live further east!

Overall, I would say that if I had to live in South Florida, this is the only place I would ever consider. The people are nice, the schools are good, the dirt roads remind me of my childhood, the smells of horses and fresh air are everywhere, and I can still let my kids play in the yard without worrying about a drive by or an abduction.

I'll take Loxahatchee any day over the fake, overly-manicured planned communities with grandiose names like "Olympia'"and "Versailles" around here. LMAO. Who do these people think they are? Talk about delusions of grandeur.
Agreed. Paying $260 a month to live 8 feet from your neighbor in an overpriced home with stucco ceilings that was constructed to look like every 4th home. I lived in Nautica Lakes for about a year and HATED the "community", most neighbors weren't friendly to know you and I'm extremely outgoing. I approach everyone with a smile. I even had a neighbor call the police on me for walking in the middle of the street around midnight. The cop came and asked what was I doing, I said "I'm looking for my cat, you think they'd ask what's wrong instead of calling the police!".

Pretention runs high in those areas. Part of keeping up with the Jones's must mean losing any signs of true class.

I love Loxahatchee, Acreage, parts of Royal Palm, and Jupiter Farms.

I'm next to commercial pier right now in Fort Lauderdale in very nice home, but I'm looking to buy a home in your area right now. I miss the privacy so much.

Don't even get me started with condo and town home living. Neighbors are better known, not heard.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:59 AM

2 posts, read 13,989 times
ALL of S Fl as well as other states have illegal problems. Dynamics of many states have changed, ie census for KY has a huge increase in Hispanic and Asian population.

Yes taxes are high in PBcounty, thats the cost of living in the county and if you have not purchased a home since the crash, you are most certainly paying high taxes. Rural areas, which is common, have an additional cost for services, regardless of what county you reside. Since Loxahatchee is unincorporated, you will pay an additional $1000-$2000avg for taxes. ALso, those that that desire the lifestyle Lox has to offer, will not be choosing to live in gated locked community and pay $300+ for association dues. Yes people need to desire where they live or it will make them unhappy, and I agree a long commute is not something I would want either.

Foreclosures in Lox are certainly more noticeable, mostly a result from no other buildings being present other than SFhomes, therefore you do recognize the presence more. Our census in schools have reduced about 30-50% this school year. In fact Boca and Lake Worth foreclosure is very significant if you look at the map, certainly more so than in Loxahatchee. But keep in mind Loxahatchee is not a rental community, but single family residence with acres. In Boca you could easily have ten foreclosures on 1 acre because of condos.

Yes, if you live behind the high school it will certainly add 10 min of commute time to reach Sem. Pratt Whitney, and if you drive south to get onto I95, it will certainly take you another 20 minutes that way too,

If on the other hand are NOT located off Sycamore behind the high school, and in the northern part of the Acreage, you should be able to reach I95 easily in less than 20 min via Northlake Blvd, if its not rush hour. Reaching the ocean(Juno Bch) in 30 min is plenty of time, avg is 25 from Northlake, but again I live nearer to Northlake. I also drive south to Congress & Lake Worth Rd within 40 minutes and to Broward, taking 441 south to Hillsboro Blvd in 75 min.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:48 PM

26 posts, read 56,720 times
Sorry in advance, I didn't read all posts. Isn't there a huge Cancer cluster problem in Loxahatchee!? Isn't that why the homes are "such a steal?!"

Old 04-14-2011, 02:56 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,734,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcampo View Post
Sorry in advance, I didn't read all posts. Isn't there a huge Cancer cluster problem in Loxahatchee!? Isn't that why the homes are "such a steal?!"
All rumor, no fact. All the big class action lawyers were here for a week. They quietly left empty handed. There were some odd cases that occurred in a close area, but the cause has never been found, nor have any more cases come up.

My Hematologist was one of the leading doctors treating the victims, and even he denied that it was caused by anything in the area.

The home prices are low, well some are, mostly the foreclosures. No one who is living in a home and paying the Mort and selling is giving their houses away.

This is south fla, hot humid and rainy. Any house closed up and not lived in for 6 months will be a money pit.

Cheap houses, yup you get what you pay for.

Need info on the cancer thing you can get plenty of info at this link. Acreage Investigation Reports and Documents - In the Spotlight, Palm Beach County Health Department

Old 04-20-2011, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 13,900 times
I have family who lives there, its a nice quiet place with lots of farms, people who have horses, and yes some of the streets that go to drive-way of houses do have dirt roads. It is becoming more industrialized slowly. overall, its a good place for a family, if you looking for a place that has a night-life and is close to downtown and the shops and restaurants, Loxahatche is about 35 minutes from this stuff. SO it depends on you whether you like to live in a quiet area or an are with lots of stuff around it. hope this helps. check out other places you could find on my site for foreclosure homes for sale right now.....prices are great right now in palm beach.....!!!!

[url]www.foreclosurehomespalmbeach.com[/url]

Old 04-23-2011, 09:01 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
My wife and I are professionals who live in Loxahatchee. I have commuted for the past 5+ years to Cityplace (downtown West Palm) via Northlake, Beeline and I-95. It took me about 30-40 minutes one way.

Why we like it: quiet, dark at night, can grow my own garden, have chicken, horses and be self-sufficient. A lot of nice, mixed background people. Our neighbors are a sheriff with three children, very nice. Next to them a couple with two kids, not much education (he drives a dump truck), very nice people. Next door to us a couple - he is a UPS driver, she doesn't work, quiet and nice. Next to them a couple with no kids, four dogs, professionals, very nice people! On our left side another couple with quiet kids. Lots of space to run, jog etc.

Why we don't like it: unincorporated means "no rules" and some folks take that too far. You can have idiots on ATVs racing up and down your street and there is nothing you can do about that. Lots of rednecks with big trucks and small brains. We run or walk about 5 miles every night and we carry a stick because there could be loose dogs, some of the aggressive. The area has suffered from foreclosures and there are people moving in to rent - some of them treat the neighborhood like it is for rent, if you know what I mean.

Never had to call the sheriff but had a neighbor who did, he told me it took a while for them to get there. Someone said only one or two deputies patrol the neighborhood - that's not true, you can call PBSO and ask. I have seen many patrol cars around the area at different times of day.

One thing to note, they are widening Seminole-Pratt to four lanes so the area will get busier. Some folks hope the introduction of a better road will positively affect the housing prices. But it could mean more urbanization of the rural neighborhood.

I think nobody cares if you are gay or not and keep it to yourself - i.e. act like a normal person acts. If you go around looking to prove to people you are gay and free to be gay, well, I am not so sure everyone would be very understanding.

Jupiter Farms is a pricier and snobbier version of Loxahatchee. It is also a much shorter drive to the ocean.

My $0.02

Old 12-30-2014, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,064 times
The long car rides with my boyfriend, the darkness of night, fresh, clean air, birds and bunnies, private gardens, are some of the things that i enjoy most about living in loxahatchee. My least favorite things are lack of community(no events and everyone is closed up inside of their houses not wanting to communicate or even think of it), lack of parks(only a few parks very far away, nothing to jog or bike to), lack of interesting places and lack of variety of places(everything around there is the same, all houses and private double fenced fields [kind of creepy actually]). I am staying with my boyfriend and his family out here in loxahatchee and it isnt the best place to live if you want variety and community. I dont hear any gunshots like a few people said and there are a lot of plant nurseries everywhere. Now the city is planning on making a huge gated community right near where we are which will change the area completely, so i don't know what it will be like in a few years. All of the animals already left (probably hid in the preserve areas west, hiding from hunters or development), so it is very mute out here. No life at all except a lot of birds and occasional bunnies. I heard the water is bad here, although it looks fine to me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach