Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2011, 08:49 AM

368 posts, read 928,970 times

Advertisements

We live in Wellington (and my new job in orlando morphed into one in jupiter!) and since my son is entering VPK, we have to figure out what we're doing for kindergarten next year - Olympia in Wellington (Equestrian Trails) or PBG?

What are the good elementary schools and sections of PBG to live? I work close to US 1 and PGA Blvd so I'm looking for places to live and for schooling relatively close to work.

Thanks for info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 09:10 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,399,602 times
Sienna Oaks (neighborhood) and Allamanda Elementary would put you within mile or so of work. I live a few blocks from that area, and there's a ton of stuff to do. Lots of restaurants, a couple nice parks, and of course you are close to the beach!
There are lots of other neighborhoods, just depends on what you are looking for.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:18 AM

Thanks so much. We are looking for a neighborhood similar to where we live now (maybe not so congested since we live right off 441) where we can either rent or potentially buy a 4-5BR 2500 sq foot home.

Right now at Olympia we have access to a great clubhouse (swimming and playground) for our kids who are 1 1/2 and 4. Ability to have our 4-year old take his little scooter or bike around the neighborhood would be key and a nice fenced backyard. Being near the beach would be awesome. We have a year left on our lease so we're not necessarily ready to pull the trigger now but since the preschool administration is starting to get us anxious on the elementary school angle, we have to start researching good public elementary schools in the area. I guess we'll also have to look at childcares too if we move next year for my younger one. I'll be happy to pay less for childcare in PBG than where they are in Boca.

An area that seems less crazy is PGA Blvd right off the turnpike (that's where I exit from now coming from Wellington and the head east to work). I'd be fine living a little bit further west of 1 to have a bit more quiet.

Old 03-01-2011, 11:16 AM

232 posts, read 773,542 times
Another school suggestion - check out Lighthouse in Jupiter - very good school as well.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:08 PM

Default Lighthouse

I will! It seems to be only 15 minutes from my job. I'll look into daycares and neighborhoods in that school district as well.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:23 PM

50 posts, read 80,995 times
Default uggh

I so don't understand the schools being by the county instead of by the city like they are here in Ohio, my hubby almost got a job in palm beach county but they went on a hiring freeze last april, then we went off moving to FL and started a busines, now we find ourselves after this harsh winter still wanting to move there....we have kids 12, 7, 1 and 1 on the way, all girls!!

Can you please explain to me how the school districting works better, here we get a school based on what house we live in, from there from what I have read you have until March to put in a request to county school system and thenif too many apply to good schools the rest are picked by a lottery basis??

Does this have to be done every year? Like here if you start at one elementary school and dont move your kid grows up with same kids all
through school for the most part,

Hoe does it work for subdequent years do you have to put in the request every year or ocne they are assigned a school are they in every year? What about siblings, if you have to go through lottery process again does that mean 2 kids a year apart could end up at different schools?

just trying to make sense out of all this!!!

any help is appreciated, also good luck with your move! Hope y ou find the perfect house and congrats on job!!

Old 03-01-2011, 01:51 PM

141 posts, read 505,885 times
In Palm Beach county it does go by adddress/neighborhood - you can plug in your address on the website and get your school. There is ALSO school choice - lottery system to get in to magnet schools if you do not want to go to your assigned school.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:04 PM

623 posts, read 1,303,100 times
do you have to show the school your address and do that every year you are in the school?

(keep showing your lease or deed to the house?)

Old 03-01-2011, 02:28 PM

50 posts, read 80,995 times
Default in my experience

I would think you do have to provide address info to the school each year, so probably in every county if you want to go to a different public school than what your zone assigns you, then it goes to lottery system but it does take into account if you have siblings in the school and then proximity to the school....

I think I am starting to understand more.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach