Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:50 AM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times

Advertisements

Is South Florida folks friendly~? How is it to where your originally from~? Do you find the people most likely to strike up a conversation more in South Florida than where your originally from~?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
believe it or not yes...I actually made a new friend from Publix..lol we see in other in the afternoons when shop...But apparently My experiences are different than others people do actually talk to us in Boca...I guess I dont Focus on it too much if people are nice or not...People say HI I say HI etc....

Old 04-12-2011, 01:14 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
Is South Florida folks friendly~? How is it to where your originally from~? Do you find the people most likely to strike up a conversation more in South Florida than where your originally from~?
Well, I think it's just like any other place I've been. I live in San Antonio Texas right now and have moved around the country as well. Texas, Lousianna, Mississippi, Alabama, & Georgia all have more hospital people than Florida in my experience. In those southern areas, people are more willing and open to talk to you out of the blue. They hold doors open for you. Kids at school strike up a conversation with you. I won't say it's not chill but they are sort of.

People in Florida, in my experience, are slighty the same but different. Most people in South Florida don't try to strike up a conversation with you unless that is in their personality or you started it first. But when they do, they have been very nice and understanding just like anywhere else I have been to. Like me, I don't strike up a conversation unless I have something to ask you or you introduce yourself first. But that's mainly because I'm an introvert. Not because I'm a Floridian. I think Floridians are generally very nice. Especially the older ones.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:11 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,045,334 times
I've always lived here in KY, but I have noticed lately that there are locals who aren't friendly. It is depressing when your making a conversation and they completely ignore you. This is at the health club I belong to.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:00 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I have thought about this topic and some depends on what city you will live in FL. I have met some nice people. I feel that the rude people tend to be more over the top here then where I have lived before so it sticks out more. Does that make sense?
I am trying to focus on the nice people. Not much I can do about the rude ones. Since you have only lived in KY I am thinking it will be a change regardless and will take some time to get used to. I have lived in many states and FL does have a different feel.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:23 PM

26 posts, read 56,710 times
I'm originally from upstate New York. People were very friendly there and everyone, including me, would strike up conversations with anyone we came in contact with, pretty much. We knew all of our neighbors very well. By neighbors in upstate New York, that means anyone on your road. My road was about 2 miles long and we literally knew everyone who lived on the entire road and then about 3/4 of the people living on the roads branching off of ours. I lived there from age 12 to 19. When I moved to south Florida, I quickly realized things were not like they were where I grew up. I immediately felt unwelcome. I thought it may be because I was from New York and Floridians didn't like New Yorkers. I had been told that on WAY more than one occasion. Then I realized, most of the people down here aren't natives and that people that live in florida, in general, just aren't friendly! They were more friendly when I was younger. Probably because I spent most of my 20's in bars and people I worked with got to know me and probably felt sorry for me. Since I left that scene, it's been REALLY bad. Either that or I just notice it more because I actually care since I have children and want people to be kind to them, and me, so they learn to do the same. I have to say, I honestly can count on two hands the number of times a door was held for me to walk through when I was pregnant or when I am pushing my double stroller with two toddlers in it. Don't know how many people reading this know what it's like to open a door and push a double stroller through but it's not one bit easy and more times than not, there is someone ahead of me that just lets that door shut! I remember as a kid, we were taught to ALWAYS hold the door if someone is behind us!! ALWAYS!! I was also taught to say hello to anyone that makes eye contact. It's just a natural response now. I don't even think about it and I swear, MAYBE half the time, someone says hi back. I cringe when I go to our local Publix supermarket! I know the service is never good and we wait at the deli and bakery forever, even when there is absolutely NO line and I have made eye contact with an employee. Everyone seems to move at a snails pace and not care one bit about their job or the people they're working for. I hope my girls don't get discouraged from all the unfriendliness and above all, I hope they don't learn or think that it's acceptable for them to treat people the way we're usually treated! I hope they appreciate their job and try their best to be great employees and actually like working! You'd think with times the way they are, people would make darned sure they're busting their butts to be an exceptional employee. It's NOT the case down here! I have always appreciated every job opportunity whether it was not the job for me and I ended up giving notice or if it was a fantastic position, I ALWAYS had the same work ethic and always appreciated what I had and treated everyone the same and never worked on my own terms! I always did what needed to be done and then some. VERY rarely have I thought...that's an exceptional employee or given great praise or a great review or written a letter to a manager of an employee since I've lived here. The only time I usually receive good service is at restaurants and that's usually the restaurants we frequent! Please don't think...then go home! There are PLENTY of things I HATED about home and that's why I'm down here. There are WAY more positives than the people that live here! I am in my very late 30's now and still to this day, keep the same values and say hi to anyone who makes eye contact, I always hold doors, even if I'm going through with my double stroller, I'll hold it for the person following me. I smile at everyone. Say please and thank you, move out of the way when I know I'm not on my side of the aisle, keep my kids inside when they're sick, cover my mouth and nose when I cough or sneeze, let someone that only has a few items in front of me in line when I have a ton of groceries, I wave people to go first at a stop sign, I answer my phone when someone calls even if I'm busy and have to tell them I'll call them back...I do call them back. I don't know what's so difficult about being nice! Mean people SUCK!

Old 04-16-2011, 12:05 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
^^^^^^ I couldn't disagree more. Most people here are very friendly. ^^^^^^

Old 04-16-2011, 12:50 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
^^^^^^ I couldn't disagree more. Most people here are very friendly. ^^^^^^
I agree with you I think it also has alot to do with One's Attitude..I had these people in back of me and my kids always hold the door for people and they were so nice and said thank you and they said this proves my point there are NICE floridians here...so if you have a good attitude then the rudeness doesnt matter..

Old 04-16-2011, 03:01 PM

239 posts, read 473,914 times
I totally disagree. FRIENDLIEST people in Florida. Have met very few (if any ANY ANY ANY) rude people.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:42 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
^^^^^^ ....I agree with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach