Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 11:29 PM

179 posts, read 565,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allhavoc View Post
I think it really depends on the person moving and the income. If you are young (late 20''s, 30's) and you can afford at least $800/month in rent, you'll enjoy the place. There's a lot to do in the city of WPB downtown area, including free shows and a generally nice city center atmosphere. Most of the other cities in the county also almost always have something going on.

I can't really argue with the people who grew up here and think it has gone to sh*t; I only moved down here about three months ago. I'm not so sure about the whole locking your doors when you are on Tamarind - maybe at some point it was really bad, but the city of WPB has done a really good job cleaning the downtown and adjacent areas up. People walk freely downtown until 4/5am in the morning no problem. Besides the downtown area, there are plenty of decent places to stay off the main thoroughfare (Okeechobee RD), again if you can afford at least $800/mo in rent.

I moved here from Tampa, and before that, Tallahassee, and West Palm Beach beats those two cities hands down. That is not to say some people would not prefer the sprawl of Tampa or the 'nothing to do' of Tallahassee, but if you are looking to move to an urban area that doesn't have anywhere near the crime rate of places like Chicago, Atlanta, or even, Miami, you can do worse than WPB.

My 2 cents (or dollars).
Your input is actually $$PRICELESS$$ KODOS to you

Old 05-23-2011, 12:33 AM

24 posts, read 179,206 times
There were a lot of growhouses in Port Saint Lucie about 5 years ago. A growhouse in January doesn't bother me. That area isn't in my neighborhood anyway, it's on the other side. I know there is some crime everywhere, but when a city ranks three times higher than the national average always, then that is a problem. Port Saint Lucie ranked the safest city in Florida more than once. I don't believe West Palm Beach ever has or ever could. The question isn't really about Port Saint Lucie, though, it's about West Palm Beach. I could've sugar coated my answer and said that West Palm Beach has a "diverse" background, beautiful palm trees, and sandy beaches with clear water. It does, I love the beach on Singer Island and Jupiter, the water is much nicer than Jensen Beach's. I just didn't feel safe at all living down there, I hated the traffic, and I wanted to move out for a long long time. I finally did and I am glad I did. It was a stressful place to live for me and I didn't like having to be on guard all the time. Getting robbed and pistol whipped with a gun, my car broken into, getting my apartment broken into, and being rear ended only to have the driver haul butt afterwards all within a 2 year timeframe was plenty enough for me. This happened in the supposedly nicer area too, not downtown, not in Riviera Beach. Some people might like that area or that enviroment, the person thinking of moving there might be perfectly happy down there as well, who knows, but if I asked what is it like living in West Palm beach I would want honest answers. I simply told him or her what it was like for me living in West Palm Beach....that's it.

Old 05-23-2011, 05:54 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,531,714 times
Discuss issues, NOT other posters. Be respectful. This thread is close to being closed. Warning.

Frank

Old 05-23-2011, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 12,445 times
My uncle lived in Flamingo Park. My cousin got into a lot of trouble from living there. It is super close to Tamarind Ave and the houses are really old. I would advise if you move to WPB not to live east of Jog Rd.

Old 05-23-2011, 03:23 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,581 times
The old houses are what makes it cool.How did your cousin get in troublr from living in FP?

Old 05-23-2011, 04:10 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal75 View Post
My uncle lived in Flamingo Park. My cousin got into a lot of trouble from living there. It is super close to Tamarind Ave and the houses are really old. I would advise if you move to WPB not to live east of Jog Rd.
Jog Rd is way the [expletive] out there. Does anyone under 80 live WEST of Jog Rd (excluding Wellington residents)?

Old 05-23-2011, 06:20 PM

(BTW --- at this stage in my life it would take a LOT to make me live west of I-95!!)

East of Dixie-all the way.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal75 View Post
Because he was a teenager and there were a lot of thugs that lived over there. He just got into the wrong group of kids...
Hey, no need to make excuses. Sometimes kids just don't receive proper home training. Hopefully he stopped being a troublemaker when removed from the evil influence of historic west palm beach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal75
The farther East you go the dirtier and older and more ran down it is. Don't go too too far West though, because then it will bring you to Belle Glade. Wow....gotta love all the name calling from TriMT7.
Yes. The further east you go, the dirtier it gets:

http://services.palmbeachpost.com/content/R3175519i1.jpg (broken link)

http://services.palmbeachpost.com/content/R3156478i1.jpg (broken link)

http://services.palmbeachpost.com/content/R3057599i1.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 PM

There is no need for that.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:41 AM

179 posts, read 565,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagirl28 View Post
There were a lot of growhouses in Port Saint Lucie about 5 years ago. A growhouse in January doesn't bother me. That area isn't in my neighborhood anyway, it's on the other side. I know there is some crime everywhere, but when a city ranks three times higher than the national average always, then that is a problem. Port Saint Lucie ranked the safest city in Florida more than once. I don't believe West Palm Beach ever has or ever could. The question isn't really about Port Saint Lucie, though, it's about West Palm Beach. I could've sugar coated my answer and said that West Palm Beach has a "diverse" background, beautiful palm trees, and sandy beaches with clear water. It does, I love the beach on Singer Island and Jupiter, the water is much nicer than Jensen Beach's. I just didn't feel safe at all living down there, I hated the traffic, and I wanted to move out for a long long time. I finally did and I am glad I did. It was a stressful place to live for me and I didn't like having to be on guard all the time. Getting robbed and pistol whipped with a gun, my car broken into, getting my apartment broken into, and being rear ended only to have the driver haul butt afterwards all within a 2 year timeframe was plenty enough for me. This happened in the supposedly nicer area too, not downtown, not in Riviera Beach. Some people might like that area or that enviroment, the person thinking of moving there might be perfectly happy down there as well, who knows, but if I asked what is it like living in West Palm beach I would want honest answers. I simply told him or her what it was like for me living in West Palm Beach....that's it.
I am so truly sorry for your tragic experience. After what you have gone through for your own sanity, you have to put yourself into what ever place allows you to feel safe.
But like you said, your incident occurred in an area not deemed likely to have such random crime. These things unfortunately are part of today's society, and because we are more populated, and have a broader and more diverse population, we of course are going to expect to have more crime. And unfortunately random cases such as yours, are not something you can pin point to a neighborhood, or even a town. That's why when what you went through was a horrific experience it was not something that is an everyday occurrence. It could've happened in Anytown, USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach