Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,036,291 times

Advertisements

Im from Nj and thinking of relocating to Florida sometime within the next year.

I'd like to hear from anyone down here how they cope with the sun so that they are not sunburned all the time. I know it may sound like a stupid question how do you all manage to stay so fair? I don't want to be tanned all the time as I don't like that look.

What do you do to cope? Wear sunscreen all day everyday? Wear hats glasses all the time? Stay indoors most of the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 04:55 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,803,053 times
To me summer which lasts from May till Nov is too humid and hot to be outdoors much.
I always wear sunglasses when outside and if I were to be out in the sun I would have sunscreen on. I see some with hats too.
I am very fair and want to stay that way. Plus don't want wrinkles or skin cancer. Also I don't like the orange some people seem to turn in FL which I am assuming is from the sun.
Just going to and from the car to a place you should be ok. Though I think for healthy eyes sunglasses should be worn. If out I would apply sunscreen and often

Old 06-14-2011, 07:49 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,314,691 times
Im very fair as well and burn no matter where I live, however I do wear sunglasses...If I know im going to be outside for a long period of time, then I will use sun block, If not and im going shopping or going in and out of my car and errands I dont put anything on...You should be fine

Old 06-14-2011, 08:51 AM

232 posts, read 771,053 times
Summer during the day is not that much different from up north - just more consitent heat i guess? It's the nights that are different where it doesnt cool down as much.

Any "during the day" outdoor activity - I always put on sun screen as it's advisable no matter where you live.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:05 PM

1,108 posts, read 4,207,019 times
You can get sunblock shirts...hats....pants...shorts...and of course sun screen...when my wife and I visit Florida I almost go back as white as I came...I always have a sunblock shirt and hat on in the pool and I never get a sunburn...you can buy the short and long sleeve shirts at Modells...Sports Authority...and many other places...just google Rash Guard Shirts...Sun Block clothing...etc...and you will find more than you need...

I only use sunblock on exposed area's when in Florida and I never get a sunburn on my back/chest/head when wearing the sunblock clothing...

Old 06-19-2011, 04:26 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,036,291 times
Thank you for all the good ideas

Old 06-25-2011, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,390 times
what brand of sunglasses do you all recommend? I usually used polarized ones up here for driving. Just wondering if one is better than the other?

Old 06-26-2011, 10:00 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,618,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
Im from Nj and thinking of relocating to Florida sometime within the next year.

I'd like to hear from anyone down here how they cope with the sun so that they are not sunburned all the time. I know it may sound like a stupid question how do you all manage to stay so fair? I don't want to be tanned all the time as I don't like that look.

What do you do to cope? Wear sunscreen all day everyday? Wear hats glasses all the time? Stay indoors most of the time?
I try to stay out of FL...

Seriously, it is sunny here ALL the time - most people move here FOR the sun and the ocean, not to hide from it.

Anyways, sunglasses are advisable, get yourself a good quality pair. Hats also - especially if you plan on spending time out. As for sunscreen, I think it is a load of bull. When I was younger my parents used to take us for long vacations (30+ days, yeah this was Europe, none of that crap like here in the States with 3-7 days vacations). They would start taking us to the beach early in the morning - 7 am to 10 am and then 4:30 pm to 7 or so. We would get used to the Sun that way and acquire a tan without burning. As days went on we would stay in the Sun more and more until we naturally acquired a good color without any burns. All that lathering up with sunscreen is I guess for people who are VERY fair but I think way too many people abuse the sunscreens way too much, to the point they never actually catch the Sun even though they are in it.

My $.02

Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,044,398 times
After a while you will get used to the sun and you will learn what you need to do to stay out of it and it will be second nature and you probably won't need sunscreen unless you go to the beach for a few hours--people in FL aren't slathering on the sunscreen every day, they just avoid the sun when they can.

a) for one thing your skin will tan a bit after a while and you'll be less susceptible to burning (unless you're genetically really pale) but still be careful especially when your skin is still fair when you move there.

b) wear sunglasses when you can, make sure they are polarized to keep out UV rays. Wear a hat too.

c) if you're out walking, walk on the shady side of the street if there is one. Park in the shade so your car doesn't heat up a lot. Avoid dark clothes and don't drive a black car because black paint or material soaks up sun.

d) if you want to go to the beach in summer, try going later in the afternoon like after 5 or 6pm, it will be cooler and you won't get as much sun but the water will still be nice and warm.

e) take advantage of the fact that for most of the year it's still warm at night so you can go out to eat and sit outside, or sit out on the back porch eating dinner, you can't do this in a lot of places especially in spring or fall when it's cooler in areas further north.

Basically just stay in the shade when you can and don't stay out in the sun for very long. It's so hot in the summer in FL that you won't want to be outside in the sun anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach