Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Hey TriMt,

You do realize that even David Copperfield got robbed outside CityPlace after performing at the Kravis center? Luckily he was a magician and simply showed the thief (who was armed) that he had no possessions so the thief robbed the ladies David was with instead. After he drove away, David pulled out his cell phone and called police who promptly caught them.
Get with the program "CityGuy," David Copperfield got robbed in 2006.

Two people were also more recently kidnapped and murdered from outside the Boca Town Center Mall, yet I don't see you calling that place "ghetto," and really, I would never have any problem shopping at Boca.

Why? Because crime happens. Sometimes, even in nice places. Sometimes, bad people travel from bad areas to good to target people. Cars aren't exactly luxury items.

(by the way, the guys responsible for robbing Copperfield were not even from West Palm -- they were from Palm Beach Shores, on Singer Island!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy
In all seriousness, CityPlace was hoping to get Palm Beachers to cross the intracoastal and spend their money but it doesn't happen. It is a large development that is still trying to turn the corner of success just like Clematis street. The movie theatre, Cheesecake Factory and a few hotspots are doing ok but how many failures have there been? How many tenant/landlord lawsuits (over lack of security/high rents/promises of big anchor tenants)? CityPlace is now hoping the new convention center gets built in order to boost them to a level of success but even the city commissioners think that is too expensive of a gamble.
Cityplace is not for Palm Beachers. They have Worth for that. It is, however, a major draw for tourists. Retail managers with multiple stores in multiple locations will tell you the Cityplace customer is different from the Wellington customer, which is different from the Boca customer, and so on.

The convention center is already built. The hotel is at issue, and would have been built already if not for corrupt politicians. Also, there are already lots of good things on the horizon in and around Cityplace, including the Digital Domain building which should infuse hundreds of quality, employed people a day into downtown.

And of course restaurants have come and gone. Businesses DO fail. ESPECIALLY restaurants. Care to explain why SOME restaurants are always packed (Cheesecake, City Cellar, Brewzzis) while others languish and fail? Obviously if the other restaurants can get people in the door, and others cannot, it's not a lack of patronage. It means its a bad business, bad food, or over-saturated market. Used to be a couple years ago that nighttime traffic in Cityplace on the weekdays or summer was dead. There is a noticeable crowd most nights now.

Seriously, I only shake my head at the hand-wringing ninnies who say they are "scared" to go to Cityplace. Those kinds of people need to stick to their strip malls and far flung Western subdivisions where they can shop at Super Target without worrying their little heads about black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 10:51 AM

232 posts, read 773,153 times
Below is the copperfield link - pretty interesting - thanks for sharing.

"Famed magician hoodwinks muggers": David Copperfield's cool trick - ehMac.ca

You can't use one example and generalize that city place is unsafe. You put the same label on almost any public place in city with a large population. I will admit that I no longer go at night simply because it does not have the same atmospere it did say in 2005.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:07 PM

17,275 posts, read 21,998,333 times
TRIMT- Yes my David Copperfield story was a few years ago but has the neighborhood gotten any better? NOPE. Town Center actually had 3 murders in a short time period not the 2 you mentioned.

My point is they have great restaurants everywhere so why go to touristy CityPlace with the urban crime thrown into the mix?

I need to pay for parking to see a movie and go to Cheese Cake Factory then look over my shoulder going into the parking garage....no thanks.

West Palm beach is a very rough area around CityPlace, especially to the NW corridor (Tamarind Ave comes to mind). Not the place you want to get lost, change a tire or stop for gas late at night. I can certainly handle those situations but why press your luck, life is way too short for BS like that!

Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
TRIMT- Yes my David Copperfield story was a few years ago but has the neighborhood gotten any better? NOPE.
Actually, it has. Not only have several large scale condominiums gone online since then, bringing in a higher class of clientele and resident who can afford rents of $1000/month+ for 1 bedroom apartments, but crime in downtown WPB has gone down year after year since 2000, and yes, since 2006. There's also a downtown curfew for kids under 18 that has made the experience much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGuy
My point is they have great restaurants everywhere so why go to touristy CityPlace with the urban crime thrown into the mix?
Because there is no evidence of an epidemic of urban crime problems at city place, maybe?

Quote:
I need to pay for parking to see a movie and go to Cheese Cake Factory then look over my shoulder going into the parking garage....no thanks.
When was the last time you were even there? #1, if you see a movie, your parking is free. #2, I know many people who live in Cityplace and downtown WPB. Young professional people who go out at night, etc. I routinely walk there from my home, at night. Neither myself or anyone I know has been victimized by "urban crime." Then again, none of us buy or use drugs, or pick fights at 3AM after getting drunk at a club. If you look for trouble, or are involved in shadiness really late at night, then you will find it.

Quote:
West Palm beach is a very rough area around CityPlace, especially to the NW corridor (Tamarind Ave comes to mind). Not the place you want to get lost, change a tire or stop for gas late at night. I can certainly handle those situations but why press your luck, life is way too short for BS like that!
Why on earth would you EVER go to NE Tamarind at night, UNLESS you DID get lost (inexcusable in the time of navigation and smart phones)? To the south of Cityplace are residential neighborhoods that include million dollar homes and historic neighborhoods. To the west, highrise condos and the highway. To the east, the water and Palm Beach. The ONLY place you don't go is NORTH, past Banyan, and half the roads are blocked to traffic that way anyway. It's South Florida, you know very well that "bad" can be adjacent to "good" within a mile's drive.

But hey, that's OK. Next time I'm catching dinner and a show at the Kravis, surrounded by older folks having a great time and who are not cowering in fear of "urban crime," I'll remember that somewhere out there, people are huddled, scared and petrified to go downtown. When I'm downtown Clematis on the green, with all the families and their children watching an outdoor movie at nighttime, I'll remember that CityGuy thinks life is too short for him to enjoy same.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:21 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Get with the program "CityGuy," David Copperfield got robbed in 2006.

Two people were also more recently kidnapped and murdered from outside the Boca Town Center Mall, yet I don't see you calling that place "ghetto," and really, I would never have any problem shopping at Boca.

Why? Because crime happens. Sometimes, even in nice places. Sometimes, bad people travel from bad areas to good to target people. Cars aren't exactly luxury items.

(by the way, the guys responsible for robbing Copperfield were not even from West Palm -- they were from Palm Beach Shores, on Singer Island!!)

Cityplace is not for Palm Beachers. They have Worth for that. It is, however, a major draw for tourists. Retail managers with multiple stores in multiple locations will tell you the Cityplace customer is different from the Wellington customer, which is different from the Boca customer, and so on.

The convention center is already built. The hotel is at issue, and would have been built already if not for corrupt politicians. Also, there are already lots of good things on the horizon in and around Cityplace, including the Digital Domain building which should infuse hundreds of quality, employed people a day into downtown.

And of course restaurants have come and gone. Businesses DO fail. ESPECIALLY restaurants. Care to explain why SOME restaurants are always packed (Cheesecake, City Cellar, Brewzzis) while others languish and fail? Obviously if the other restaurants can get people in the door, and others cannot, it's not a lack of patronage. It means its a bad business, bad food, or over-saturated market. Used to be a couple years ago that nighttime traffic in Cityplace on the weekdays or summer was dead. There is a noticeable crowd most nights now.

Seriously, I only shake my head at the hand-wringing ninnies who say they are "scared" to go to Cityplace. Those kinds of people need to stick to their strip malls and far flung Western subdivisions where they can shop at Super Target without worrying their little heads about black people.

Good post and I agree with you 100% .... I live in Parkland which is 45 minutes from City Place .. yet we go there all the time .. it is a lovely area ... it does not look very ghetto when we go there ... not sure what that is all about ?

Old 07-12-2011, 07:17 AM

22 posts, read 53,623 times
I love how they call it a downtown.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:26 AM

87 posts, read 360,877 times
PLEASE I SO HOPE THIS REALLY HAPPENS!!!! I want a City Place in Jupiter!!!!!...I drive to City Place and sick of the drive...listen...there has to be a COMMON place where people can come together and enjoy something as a community and have community events or concerts...City Place has great FREE community concerts and believe me that does help retail ad bring people out...Why go spend my money at Palm Beach Gardens or West Palm Beach if I can spend it here in Jupiter my hometown? I am the furthest you will ever encounter as a shopping addict or mall lover, but I like going somewhere with my family where something is happening and enjoying the community and if I go we usually eat out and spend money...City Place is also attractive, that is key..

Old 07-14-2011, 11:40 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,629,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReniHope View Post
PLEASE I SO HOPE THIS REALLY HAPPENS!!!! I want a City Place in Jupiter!!!!!...I drive to City Place and sick of the drive...listen...there has to be a COMMON place where people can come together and enjoy something as a community and have community events or concerts...City Place has great FREE community concerts and believe me that does help retail ad bring people out...Why go spend my money at Palm Beach Gardens or West Palm Beach if I can spend it here in Jupiter my hometown? I am the furthest you will ever encounter as a shopping addict or mall lover, but I like going somewhere with my family where something is happening and enjoying the community and if I go we usually eat out and spend money...City Place is also attractive, that is key..
Most people walking around in Cityplace don't know each other. In fact, I bet most of them are not from West Palm Beach. What community?

Old 04-06-2014, 01:33 PM

141 posts, read 306,833 times
Default Wondering about it's status

Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
Before relocating here 2 years ago, I had read about this. It was one of the many reasons that I chose Jupiter, and now its coming to fruition. This in my opinion will be huge for Jupiter.

Construction Beginning on Harbourside Place EB-5 Investment Project – Jupiter, Florida USA
Tuesday, May 31st, 2011 at 3:54 pm.
The Florida Regional Center team and Harbourside Place Developers have been busy with travel and construction plans for the much anticipated Harbourside Place Downtown Project in Jupiter, Florida. The Harbourside Project has received every approval necessary from the Local, State and Federal Governments authorizing the construction to commence July 1, 2011. The highly desired project has a 21 month construction schedule and the Westin Hotel & Conference Center, Marina, Restaurants and Shopping is slated to be open for business by the 3rd quarter of 2013. The Town of Jupiter’s Community Redevelopment Agency has begun funding the construction, alongside the project developers, and is contributing $3,660,000 in government financing to this phase of the development.

Florida Regional Center’s Operating Manager, Nicholas Mastroianni II, and team are travelling back to China on June 1st to meet with various groups that have been placing investors into the Harbourside Place project. He will be meeting with partner agencies and holding a series of 11 seminars over the next 2 weeks. “If we keep up our current momentum in the worldwide marketplace we project the next 50 investors to be subscribed within 30 days” said Mastroianni.

On June 15th, FRC’s Director of Operations, Nicholas Mastroianni III, along with members of the FRC team will be in San Diego, California exhibiting and presenting at the American Immigration Lawyers Association Annual Conference. AILA hosts successful events and conferences year-round, but the Annual Conference is the largest gathering of immigration law professionals throughout the year. The conference brings together thousands of immigration law experts, government officials, and other legal professionals around the United States and the world.

The Groundbreaking Ceremony for the Harbourside Place Development and Jupiter Riverwalk project will be held on June 28, 2011. Speakers will include officials from the Town of Jupiter, Mayor Karen Golonka and Town Manager Andrew Lukasik, and State of Florida Agency Florida Inland Navigation District (FIND) Director, as well as Mr. Mastroianni. For more information on the FRC schedule in Asia, Europe or the Americas please contact info@FLRegionalCenter.com or visit visa eb-5| EB-5 Visa Program | Florida Regional Center | eb-5 investor visa, eb-5 program, eb5 america, eb5 greencard, eb5 regional center. If you are interested in attending the Groundbreaking Ceremony contact the FRC headquarters at +001.561.799.0027.
I'm sorry to bring up an old post, however this seems like an interesting prospect and I was wondering if this ever came to fruition and if so, how did it go?

Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 AM

228 posts, read 362,019 times
Drove down to Jupiter a couple of weeks ago, and they have the hotel and parking garage up. Looks.......interesting. I don't live there anymore, but my family who still live there, think its one big eyesore.

Too each their own I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach