Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2011, 07:27 PM

3 posts, read 6,710 times

Advertisements

I want to live in Palm Beach Gardens or Jupiter, and I want to make sure that the lifestyle isnt going to be over my head. I have an opportunity to transfer to the WPB area and work for a major retailer.

I make 21.50 an hour and my girlfriend is a CNA and normally makes about 12 an hour, is this sufficient enough to maintain a decent lifestyle in these areas? We have one small child, aged 2.

Also does anyone know what CNA's make generally around there, and how are the hospitals? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 08:04 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Oh yea, more than plenty.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:14 PM

Thanks Boxus, are there any bad parts of Jupiter or PBG I should have to worry about? Also im looking to rent a townhouse or condo around 1000$, should I assume that there would be no homes in this price range in bad neighborhoods around WPB?

Old 08-04-2011, 11:10 AM

232 posts, read 773,443 times
If you are working WPB you might consider Royal Palm and Wellington. Your best bet is googling apartments. There might be reviews on google. You can then search for the apartements on here for user comments or ask if there arent any. For example search for woodbine on here to get an idea.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:05 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athletech1 View Post
I want to live in Palm Beach Gardens or Jupiter, and I want to make sure that the lifestyle isnt going to be over my head. I have an opportunity to transfer to the WPB area and work for a major retailer.

I make 21.50 an hour and my girlfriend is a CNA and normally makes about 12 an hour, is this sufficient enough to maintain a decent lifestyle in these areas? We have one small child, aged 2.

Also does anyone know what CNA's make generally around there, and how are the hospitals? Thanks in advance!
I know a CNA who makes $14 an hour in a hospital but, as in any career, income is often based on experience and skills. I also know someone who is only an HHA and makes anywhere from $10 to $12 an hour, depending on the assignment (driving elderly patients to appointments, shopping, etc.) She told me business is very slow and her hours have dropped. I always thought there would be a great demand for medical personnel at every level, so make sure she checks before you move. There are a lot more people where you're planning to live.

I'm on the other coast in Port Charlotte and housing and salaries are generally lower here, so I am assuming your girlfriend will make at least as much as a CNA in this county.

I want to mention that Florida offers an 18 month LPN program in many areas. That would increase her income to around $20 an hour. I was in a hospital last year for a week and almost every nurse I saw was an LPN. I'm not in the medical field, but maybe she can apply her previous training and experience toward her LPN for credit. (I really don't know.) Just a thought.

Jupiter and PBG are both very pretty areas. I had relatives in Palm Beach County (they've all passed on) The hospitals and skilled nursing facilities I'm most familiar with are in Delray Beach. I used to pick up people at the WPB airport and it only took me about 30 minutes.

Just make sure your job is secure, the income will be the same (or more) and you'll be getting benefits. I'm sure you know this already, but sometimes companies adjust salaries for different locations.

I know this isn't specific info, but I hope it helped a little. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2011, 12:34 PM

Thanks JustNancy, that was great insight into the medical field as it pertains to my GF. She wants to move up the ladder so the LPN is the next logical step, so I appreciate the info! And we are moving from Chicago area, so we are downgrading the amount of people in the work field lol.

And my job is great, while most places were downgrading the last couple years, we keep growing, with a 1 billion dollar profit last year, PROFIT. So we are very very secure, but I can appreciate your concern as Ive seen so many friends and family lose jobs the last few years.

Im just tired of the state of illlinois and everything it doesnt have to offer, and all the crooked politicians and high taxes!

Old 08-06-2011, 03:11 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
The average 2 bedroom apt price would be more then 1000. I read somewhere 1300 and I think that is very low. A townhouse would be more. I would say an average pay for CNA would be 9 an hour. There is always the rare find in terms of job or place. A CNA though because of so many elderly I would think there would be more in home opportunity but I don't know that for a fact. I would also look if her certificate can be transfered because she may have to retake the course.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:17 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Don't think you're going to escape the corrupt politicians living down here.
I moved here from Wisconsin in '95.
The property taxes here aren't too much different than the Midwest.
That being said, I'm still here, so obviously it's working for me.
Stay away from Riveria Beach.

Old 09-14-2011, 06:58 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athletech1 View Post

Depends on yours standards, rents are high here in nice, safe and clean areas. Figure in Daycare costs too, if either one of you can't watch the baby.

Old 09-16-2011, 07:21 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,692,068 times
So funny. U make the exact same amount as I do an hour.

I live in Delray Beach, which is considered south palm beach county and am barely supporting myself. However my situation may be completely diff than urs.

I have plenty of debt, car loan, student loan, etc. credit card, etc. U may not have that.

If I had no debt I would be living pretty good, not fabulous, but decent, so I imagine u could do the same. especially if u get ur woman to work lol jk, not but seriously, I think if u guys budget accordingly, u can swing it.

Just dont go crazy like a lot of people do and lease apartments and cars they cannot afford to keep up with the south florida image of fast cars, hot girls, and cocaine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach