Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:39 PM

16 posts, read 56,092 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am currently living in San Diego, CA but am looking to relocate to Boynton Beach. My wife and I would like to move there because we have more family on the East Coast.

Based on my research, Boynton Beach, Delray Beach and Boca Raton seem to match our preferences.

My current employer has given me the option to eventually telecommute so I could move there while keeping my job.

I do have a few questions about the area, if you guys could give me some insight, that would be extremely helpful!!!

-I have seen that houses built after 2001 are safer for hurricanes because they incorporate a much stricter building code. Is it safe to say that new construction now in South Florida is safe for hurricanes? This might be a stupid question, but I just wanted to get an idea on how a new home would fare during a hurricane. What are things to consider related to hurricanes while looking for houses?

-I know the economy is slow across the country right now, but are there good job opportunities in this area during better economic times?

-How does this area compare to Fort Lauderdale/Cooper City/Weston in terms of employment opportunities, safety, quality of life and home prices. I am hesitating between both areas but based on my research, would want to avoid Miami.

-Is Boynton Beach/Boca a good place to raise a family? Are there many families there?

Thanks a lot for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 07:06 AM

23 posts, read 47,869 times
Hi there!

I just moved to Boynton Beach from Chicago (with a couple months spent in Weston), and although i don't have any children and can't speak to that, I'm loving B.Beach so far! I really enjoy the area that I'm living in, there are lots of shops and restaurants and nightlife, and I'm really close to the beach.

When I first moved down to Florida, I lived with family in Weston for a few months, and found Weston to be a very suburban, family-friendly area with not too much else going on. It all depends on your personal preference, I suppose, but as a single gal, I've found that Boynton Beach suits my personality much better.

Good luck with your relocation!

Old 11-03-2011, 08:41 AM

122 posts, read 314,609 times
Notwithstanding the current economic climate, Boynton does not really have much in terms of a local economy with a large number of employers. The areas you mentioned in Broward do however have a somewhat more varied economy. At one point, Motorola had a very large presence in Boynton employing several thousand folks but the plant was shuttered several years back. Most folks who live there commute into Boca or Broward county for work. The demographics vary but the western unincorporated side of town (near the turnpike) is primarily all retirees. I've heard that younger folks are moving into some of the areas but there are still a good chunk of retirees west of Military and Jog roads.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:05 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,687,621 times
I prefer Boca and delray over Boynton... Just my preference.
I love boca, it has everything, tho it can be a bit "trafficy" especially along glades rd at the inerchange of I-95.

Florida Atlantic University is located in Boca as well as Lynn University, which gives the city a younger more vibrant feel IMO. Also, the schools in Boca are good. Anywhere from Boca High, West Boca High, Olympic Heights (which is ok) and Pope John Paul (private Catholic) for the most part, they're all strong schools.

Delray is nice too, just north of boca, it has an adorable down-town area with lots of shops, boutiques, cafes, and interesting nightlife. It's called "Atlantic Ave" you'll simply love....
It leads right up to the beach and IMO i think Delray beach has some of the nicest beaches in palm beach county.

Boynton is OK, dont get me wrong, but I would prefer boca or delray to raise a family. Also, boca and delray are closer to ft lauderdale, so you'll kinda be closer to the action so to speak.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:09 PM

623 posts, read 1,302,562 times
I could have written OPTIMUS' post /word-for-word. I do like Boynton, a lot too. Boca Raton & Delray are amazing. As well as beautiful.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:30 PM

16 posts, read 56,092 times
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your help!

It seems like Boca Raton would be a better option to start with for employment opportunities.

My current employer would let me keep this job working from home, but I still want to be close to employment opportunities. I work as a Marketing Manager and it looks like Boca Raton can be a good option (possibility of working for a Boca or Ft Lauderdale based company).

Either way, we'd like to start off renting and get to know the area before buying a home.

I'm, still a little worried about the hurricanes though. Should I feel safer in a new building code home?

Thanks a lot for your input!

Old 11-16-2011, 01:35 PM

166 posts, read 384,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureSDresident View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks a lot for your help!

It seems like Boca Raton would be a better option to start with for employment opportunities.

My current employer would let me keep this job working from home, but I still want to be close to employment opportunities. I work as a Marketing Manager and it looks like Boca Raton can be a good option (possibility of working for a Boca or Ft Lauderdale based company).

Either way, we'd like to start off renting and get to know the area before buying a home.

I'm, still a little worried about the hurricanes though. Should I feel safer in a new building code home?

Thanks a lot for your input!
Can we trade ? My brother-in-law got married in San Diego and as a golfer, wow it is heaven. As far as building codes, the last major structural building code change was in 1996 after Hurricane Andrew. In 2005 we had Hurricane Wilma which did a lot of damage to roofs, pool screens and landscaping. So they changed the roof code and any new roof put on after 2006, there was a change to how the concrete edge tiles are attached. The biggest insurance discount is for the 1996 code change, so purchasing a home built after 1996 is always the best. Also you want a hip roof, slopes on all 4 sides. I don't know your housing price but I would also recommend the Parkland/Coral Springs area, just south of Boca Raton. We have lots of residents that work anywhere between West Palm Beach and Miami due to the location and good highways. You can read my article to get a feel

Last edited by Keeper; 01-10-2012 at 05:23 AM.. Reason: error

Old 11-16-2011, 01:41 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
The good thing (and sometimes bad) about South Florida is that the cities are that city and town boundaries are right on top of one another... so it's not as if you ever have to worry about living in the same town as where you work, if you like the feel of one town over another. What is key is the commuting distance time.

In Florida, we often measure distance by the time it takes to get there. "How far is Miami from West Palm Beach? 1 - 2.5 hours, depending on traffic."

Old 11-17-2011, 09:44 AM

7 posts, read 20,948 times
My husband and I are currently building a house in West Boynton Beach and I can say that I am so happy we made the decision to do that. I think newer construction homes are the way to go and there are plenty of newer homes available whether you want brand new construction or even just a few years old. When it comes to hurricanes you want a home built after 1996. We are having our home built with impact glass so we won't have to deal with shutters and being in the dark when a hurrican is coming. It was also important to us to have a garage big enough to accommodate our cars and any patio furniture during a hurricane. I love the West Boynton area because there's not a lot of traffic and there are a lot of new communities here with lots of young couples and young families. Pick the community that meets your needs and it's a short drive to get to anything you want to do in Boca, Boynton or Delray. I think it's a great that you're planning to rent in the area for a while before you buy anything. If you need a real estate agent I can give you the name of the agent we used - she's amazing and knows the Boca/Delray and Boyton area very well. Good Luck!

Old 11-19-2011, 07:15 PM

6 posts, read 13,613 times
Default Want to rent before buying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miramar123 View Post
If you need a real estate agent I can give you the name of the agent we used - she's amazing and knows the Boca/Delray and Boyton area very well. Good Luck!
can you post the name of the realtor? I will be relocating to Florida and would also like to rent for a while first.

Thanks.

Lisa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach