Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:28 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times

Advertisements

You will find alot of churches....Let me say don't rule Texas either...Their economy is a bit better than ours not that most places are at this point but again your in a great field where there are just not enough PT's so no matter where you go, you will find a Job

We had an oppty to move to Austin Tx but we love living in Florida even with all its problems....Thank you by the way and who knows he is almost 17 and looking to intern as a Shadow or Volunteer at a PT office or clinic or hospital in the summer 2012...Anyway, Look at all your options Tx gets very hot too so the Heat and Humidity unless you move out West will be an issue if it bothers you..Growing up in NYC we are used to the humidity so for us here its nothing...

Please keep us posted as where you decided to move too.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 07:56 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
Do you know anyone in the states you have listed where you can stay for a vacation and explore? Will you have a job lined up before you make a move? What kind of savings if not or help will you have? Some key factors to consider.
CA is a nice lifestyle but very expensive. You will be shocked coming from MI especially. FL will have more year round beach weather.
I am not familiar with churches. The statement about FL economy being stable I don't agree with. I am not sure how it compares to other states you listed or CA but I thought from others FL is having a hard time. Being in the health care field is a positive though but even with that I know people having a hard time. My friend just graduated with her RN and has not found a job.
You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. There is no perfect so hopefully you can just find the best for you

Old 12-08-2011, 09:12 AM

funny but PT's are in more demand now in General than Nurses and some other professions in the health care field and if you play your cards right you can make a very nice living... I know that our Son has been talking to one of DH's friends who is an ER Dr here in Boca and is assisting him with PT offices and such so he can get a good feel of what day to day life is as a PT..lol and from what he said that PT's there just arent enough of them, and its one of the Best Fields to get into...Michican ,Florida's Economy is not stable but on the other hand, neither are alot of parts of the country....DH has business professionals reaching out to him to assist them in their job search and they range from all over the country its quiet sad actually but depending on what one does for a living, there are jobs around but one wont make what they used too I dont care what state they live in...So if I may, Focus on maybe some other places as well to have a back up and visit them if you can and talk to people in your Field so can get a good feel so to speak...

Last edited by Swimmom32; 12-08-2011 at 10:03 AM..

Old 12-08-2011, 09:39 AM

207 posts, read 1,033,834 times
Don't forget, FL has no state income tax! I know TX doesn't either, but why anyone would move to TX (except for a stellar job in the oil/gas industry) is beyond me. It's just huge, barren and dry imo. Boring. I've driven through a lot of Texas and was happy to keep on going. If you like the desert feel then AZ or CA is better on that front. I know it's a mixed bag when comparing personal preferences. Spend a 3-4 day vacation in each place before deciding.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:48 PM

20 posts, read 51,071 times
Alright first of all, again thanks for all of your input, but there's a few more things I should throw out out there. As of right now, I don't plan on moving until late 2013, maybe 2014. I plan on graduating, working 6 months to a year, get some experience and build my resume up. Hopefully by then the economy will be picking back up. And also, here's what I realized about the current economy, even though Florida has all of the nursing home jobs for me, Texas is the best state for me to move to, atleast from a logic standpoint. I searched PTA jobs on monster.com. There was about 5 PTA job listings in Florida, in Texas, there was 21 job listings. My salary could be up to $60,000 a year in Texas, compared to the mid $50K in Florida. Along with the lower cost of living. But here's the thing, I like the Florida and California weather/scenery better lol you guys see what I'm saying? Texas is more logical for me, but I love Florida. Lol What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:23 PM

DaniellaG, Are you from California? San Diego sounds pretty nice to me, the cost of living didn't look as bad as some of the suburbs of LA that I was looking at. Where would you recommend some nice, safe areas along the coast of California? Particularly Southern California with more reasonable cost of living?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:33 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I am from MI orginally. The area I live in Southern CA is expensive. I am not that familiar with much of CA. You should make a post and get some feedback on CA boards.
Only you can decide what is best for you. If you have the money or are willing to live with less I feel CA is much nicer then FL by far. There are many other states I would pick before FL but that is just my opinion and I see where for some it is nice.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:19 PM

Your from Michigan too!? Lol You know on second thought, maybe I should just stay here because ill have the whole state to myself! Everybody is leaving! Lol But yes hopefuly by the time 2014 comes around ill be confident with where I wanna move. You know another thing I realized, all the states usually has nice summers, I'm looking for a place with just better winters! I know that Hawaii and Southern California has the best year round weather, any other places with warm winters with summers that dosnt have unbearable heat?

Old 12-09-2011, 02:13 PM

Hummm Hawaii now thats a thought...LOL I bet you would make a lot of money there...lol sure cant beat the weather either

Old 12-09-2011, 03:51 PM

154 posts, read 388,521 times
ok your in a good field but being from Michigan you will need to get up to speed real fast, have three months of salary saved, a rental can be had but you will need money for 3 x the rent basicly first ,last and deposit.water deposit,ect. car inssurance will be double at home,the beach grows old as you will be working and the crowds,most Floridians stay away from the beach! parking, bring a bike!
If I was you come down and check out some areas over a long visit,rent a bike as pull up parking is hard to do,
forget the roommate thing you will get ripped off!
good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach