Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 09:48 PM

18 posts, read 61,035 times

Advertisements

Am 59 yrs. old and looking to move to Florida for the winter months and become a snowbird with hubby to escape the cold weather in NY. We like the Boca Raton - Deerfield Beach area because of the large variety of shopping malls, restaurants and especially love the beach at Deerfield Beach. Are looking to buy a nice 2 bedroom/2 bath condo/villa near or on the beach for the younger active senior living. Would also like info. on active senior gated communities in the Boynton Beach and Delray areas. Was thinking about looking into Century Village in Deerfield Beach or West Palm Beach areas but have heard alot of negative feedback on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 11:57 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janp888 View Post
Am 59 yrs. old and looking to move to Florida for the winter months and become a snowbird with hubby to escape the cold weather in NY. We like the Boca Raton - Deerfield Beach area because of the large variety of shopping malls, restaurants and especially love the beach at Deerfield Beach. Are looking to buy a nice 2 bedroom/2 bath condo/villa near or on the beach for the younger active senior living. Would also like info. on active senior gated communities in the Boynton Beach and Delray areas. Was thinking about looking into Century Village in Deerfield Beach or West Palm Beach areas but have heard alot of negative feedback on it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
I've been considering a couple of the Century Village communities. I'm making an exploration visit at the beginning of April. I've looked at a lot of the properties online. It's definately a buyers market. However, those communities, the 4 of them, are probably a 30-minute drive to the beach.

I've also looked at the PGA Boca West area. There are many beautiful-looking condos on the market there for very little cost. However, there's a $70,000 buy-in fee (which you can sell in the future if/when you sell the condo) and a monthly fee or amount to be spent in clubhouse facilities. Nice for golfers, I'm thinking. But I'm not a golfer. and the price is above what I want to pay. Though it seems reasonable (until the real estate bust).

Old 03-07-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
I've been considering a couple of the Century Village communities. I'm making an exploration visit at the beginning of April. I've looked at a lot of the properties online. It's definately a buyers market. However, those communities, the 4 of them, are probably a 30-minute drive to the beach.

I've also looked at the PGA Boca West area. There are many beautiful-looking condos on the market there for very little cost. However, there's a $70,000 buy-in fee (which you can sell in the future if/when you sell the condo) and a monthly fee or amount to be spent in clubhouse facilities. Nice for golfers, I'm thinking. But I'm not a golfer. and the price is above what I want to pay. Though it seems reasonable (until the real estate bust).
Thanks for your update. We are also hoping to go to Florida in April. Can you elaborate a little more about this $70,000 buy-in fee and what exactly is it. Also would like to know more about the clubhouse monthly fees and if there's a problem with home owners insurance there. Two years ago we had driven into the Deerfield Century Village but no one in the office was able to take us around or give us any information. All they told us was that there were many homes for sale or in foreclosure and that they were only 10 minutes from the beach by their shuttle bus facility.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your update. We are also hoping to go to Florida in April. Can you elaborate a little more about this $70,000 buy-in fee and what exactly is it. Also would like to know more about the clubhouse monthly fees and if there's a problem with home owners insurance there. Two years ago we had driven into the Deerfield Century Village but no one in the office was able to take us around or give us any information. All they told us was that there were many homes for sale or in foreclosure and that they were only 10 minutes from the beach by their shuttle bus facility.
One good source of information I frequently consult is www.realtor.com. It's a website where you'll find listings of homes and condominiums for sale. The real estate market is slow and if you want to gain access to any of the various potential communities just call one of the realtors listed on the realtor.com site with properties in the communities and ask for them to arrange a tour of the complexes and properties. There'll be no committment required on your part. That's what I'm going to do. The realtor will be able to explain the varous fees, assessments, taxes, insurance costs, etc.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:44 PM

Great site. I've heard of www.realtor.com. Will be using them too. Keep me posted on any further info with Century Village, etc. Thanks.

Last edited by janp888; 03-08-2012 at 08:05 PM..

Old 03-09-2012, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 4,910 times
we have a condo in Century Village its 11/2 and a half first floor furniture, asking for sale $ 45,000 if you re interested email us at [email]trixie2310@yahoo.com[/email]

Old 03-12-2012, 02:07 PM

From what I've seen in the listings, $45,000 would place the asking price at about 1.5 times or more the asking price of many other units at CVWP.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 PM

Would like to rent in Century Village and vacinity. Is that possible? Can you recommend? Looking to visit and look around to buy now. Thanks

Old 03-21-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Would like to rent in Century Village and vacinity. Is that possible? Can you recommend? Looking to visit and look around to buy now. Thanks
There are many condos for rent in Century Village West Palm Beach, and probably at the other 3 CV properties in the region. the www.realtor.com website should list them. I saw some listed when looking yesterday. These are 55+ communities. Rents for a 1BR seem to range from $550 to $700 per month. I believe seasonal or yearly leases are required.

I've been doing a lot of investigation of the CVWP community and am about to walk away from further consideration because I'm learning some of the individual condo associations there are looking the other way and allowing the sale and/or rental of units to families, people under 55, etc. Sale prices have been low at that community and some associations seem anxious to get units occupied and assessments paid ... no matter the source. Doing so may place the community's tax status in jeopardy, though and that could become a negative for people owning the properties.

So, I'm beginning to shift my attention to the Century Village at Boca Raton community. Sale prices are probably 25% to 30% higher than CVWP, but some which appear (online) appear to be decent/good and available for purchase ffor $25,000+. Some 1BR for $20,000. The Boca Raton community - buildings and grounds - appear to be better maintained.

I still plan to have a look at both communities when I visit in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
There are many condos for rent in Century Village West Palm Beach, and probably at the other 3 CV properties in the region. the www.realtor.com website should list them. I saw some listed when looking yesterday. These are 55+ communities. Rents for a 1BR seem to range from $550 to $700 per month. I believe seasonal or yearly leases are required.

I've been doing a lot of investigation of the CVWP community and am about to walk away from further consideration because I'm learning some of the individual condo associations there are looking the other way and allowing the sale and/or rental of units to families, people under 55, etc. Sale prices have been low at that community and some associations seem anxious to get units occupied and assessments paid ... no matter the source. Doing so may place the community's tax status in jeopardy, though and that could become a negative for people owning the properties.

So, I'm beginning to shift my attention to the Century Village at Boca Raton community. Sale prices are probably 25% to 30% higher than CVWP, but some which appear (online) appear to be decent/good and available for purchase ffor $25,000+. Some 1BR for $20,000. The Boca Raton community - buildings and grounds - appear to be better maintained.

I still plan to have a look at both communities when I visit in a couple of weeks.

Thanks.
Thanks so much for the information on CV and giving me a heads up on the bad changes going on now.

We might be going down to Florida in a few weeks too. I've been on mapquest having fun zooming in on properties and locations, etc. It's great navigating virtually online. Out of the three CV locations I am favoring the Deerfield Beach location as it's the closest to the beach (10 minutes) and love Deerfield Beach. Also, this location is in walking distance to the mall and several shops which is a plus.

Please keep me posted on any other info/advice you find out as I will you. Good luck condo shopping!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach