Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 PM

58 posts, read 247,897 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to Palm Beach County in the next few years from NYC. We have a 14 month one son and another on the way, so a top notch public school system is very important to us. We are also are only looking at gated golf communities as my husband is an extremely avid golfer. We are torn between the great schools and golf communities in Boca Raton or Jupiter.

One of my best friends lives in South Florida and says Jupiter is too far north and not cosmopolitan enough for us.

But wondering, how "Jewish" are these gated golf communities in Boca? Will non-Jewish families feel like outsiders?

Let me add that I am half-Jewish so I really don't care either way. (Even though I grew up Christian through my mother.) But my husband is a WASP from Fairfield County, CT. (We are raising our kids Christian.) I'm worried that he might not "fit-in" in a heavily Jewish community or possibly feel out if place.

I really hope I don't offend anybody as I know this can be a sensitive question. Obviously my husband isn't anti-Semitic if he married me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 10:27 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Boca is a great place to raise your child/children Not Being Jewish persay is not really a big deal..Most of my Son's friends are Not Jewish and my daughter has both jewish and non jewish friends and really isnt a big deal... ...There are a lot of Jewish People here and A lot of Your family would fit right in with no worries...Elem School I may Recommend Del Prado or Calusa...If your looking for a golf community Woodfield Country Club would fit your Needs as well...Broken Sound would also..St Andrews Country Club...I cant speak for Jupiter but there are some very nice sub divisions there as well although it is far from Ft lauderdale, Miami etc...We love the location of Boca because we like the proximity to Ft Lauderdale/Los Olas, South Beach etc....

Last edited by Swimmom32; 04-29-2012 at 10:43 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 AM

232 posts, read 773,153 times
Boca has a nickname to be the "6th Borough" by some as there is a claim to be a heavy NYC population in Boca and there is also some who say Boca to have a larger Jewish population. I have not heard that about Jupiter although I have met several people about the NE in Jupiter

Honestly having lived in both locations I cannot tell you a difference. Both are great places to raise a family and I would recommend you check out both areas without worries about the demographics as they are probably very similar.

Last edited by FloridaHawkeye; 04-30-2012 at 09:12 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM

58 posts, read 247,897 times
Thanks for the school/community recommendations. Am researching.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:10 PM

143 posts, read 471,605 times
I am in Broken Sound, we have four kids are a Catholic family...there are quite a few nonjewish families in here...I know this bc of of the Christmas decorations that go up every year....LOL. Boca is VERY mixed, you will find all religions here. Public schools are great, as are the gated gold communities. Best of luck.

Old 04-30-2012, 04:11 PM

143 posts, read 471,605 times
"golf" not gold...typo....sorry.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:14 PM

623 posts, read 1,302,433 times
I think BOCA is a really good mix. Reason #615 why it's so popular and we like it.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:45 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
To me Boca definetly has more of a NY jewish vibe where Jupiter and the north palm beach area has a more northeastern, waspy, country club vibe. The Jupiter area has become the golf capital of the world recently as many top PGA pros including tiger have moved to the area. Many pros and members of the golf media live in the area making the community very golf oriented, couldnt think of a better place for a very affluent golf fanatic to live....although the weather from late May til late october is unbearably hot, humid and wet keeping many people indoors or living in one of their other million dollar homes elsewhere

Last edited by JSnFla; 04-30-2012 at 06:22 PM..

Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Want an informal survey? Google how many temples are in Boca vs Jupiter (pretty sure Jupiter has one). Palm Beach Gardens (next town over from Jupiter) is more Jewish than Jupiter and has more gated golf communities. PBG has more temples as well.

Boca is older (ages of communities, lots of stuff built in the 80's) and the population seems older also but is a substantially bigger town if the unincorporated Boca Raton is included.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:18 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
Boca has certainly has gotten younger just look at the schools...Boca High has 3200 kids, Spanish River has 2500, West Boca has 1700 and Olympic Heights has about the same if not less...that is Just High Schools...Omni Middle School has 1800 kids I think could be less Boca middle is under capacity and Eagles Landing im sure has about the same as Omni and Loggers Run Middle im sure has the same...The elem school well they too have a ton of kids....So Boca isn't that old anymore....

This is not including the Private Schools either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach