Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 04:50 AM

24 posts, read 45,067 times

Advertisements

We are in our early 40s and like to go to the beach and bars. My new job is in Boynton Beach but we want to live between Boynton and Ft Lauderdale as my partner wants to work in Wilton manors. Is this too much of a commute?

Where would you recommend? Were thinking Delray beach, Boca Raton or Deerfield beach. We want a single family home with a private pool and are looking at max 2200 per month rent.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
You might like Delray Beach, especially east of 95, near Atlantic Blvd/downtown.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,627 times
Default Delray Beach

Hi, I came across your post and not sure if it's too late. My partner and I have lived in Delray Beach for the last year and we really like it. We are in a community called Sabal Lakes where there is a lot of diversity including other lesbian couples and biracial families. It is a very safe and welcoming community. In fact, our house will be available for rent starting in July.

Regarding the commute, I think Delray Beach is the best area. My partner works in Boca and her commute is like 10 minutes. We are right off of Military which takes you straight up to Boynton Beach and we're just a few minutes from the Atlantic Ave exit on 95 which can take you anywhere. We're just a few short miles to the beach and downtown Delray's dining and nightlife is pretty awesome (there's even a gay bar now).

Best of luck with your search!

Old 06-06-2012, 12:42 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,659 times
Hands down - it's Delray Beach.
Why? Boca porridge is too cold (Older-Jewish), Deerfield is too hot (young and straight).
In Delray the gay-gal level, while nowhere as flaming as the Boys-of-Wilton, is quite respectable, and rising due to the influx of friends and friends of friends..
The town is groovy and has a wonderful, wide adult mix for a beach community, which benefits us all.
It's not Wilton manors (and I like it that way) but the drive is a real easy 35 minutes door-to-door sans traffic, which is no big deal because the "rush hour" is tiny by most urban standards.
Lake Worth gay scene is small but vibrant, drawing on gals from all over Palm Beach County. It's old-Florida lo-scale style appeals to many people (I like it a lot - it's only 15 mins away) and is a nice option for those still working.

Good luck!

Er.. I guess you've figured out that I live in Delray?

Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,044,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anniepp View Post
Hi, I came across your post and not sure if it's too late. My partner and I have lived in Delray Beach for the last year and we really like it. We are in a community called Sabal Lakes where there is a lot of diversity including other lesbian couples and biracial families. It is a very safe and welcoming community. In fact, our house will be available for rent starting in July.

Regarding the commute, I think Delray Beach is the best area. My partner works in Boca and her commute is like 10 minutes. We are right off of Military which takes you straight up to Boynton Beach and we're just a few minutes from the Atlantic Ave exit on 95 which can take you anywhere. We're just a few short miles to the beach and downtown Delray's dining and nightlife is pretty awesome (there's even a gay bar now).

Best of luck with your search!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Hands down - it's Delray Beach.
Why? Boca porridge is too cold (Older-Jewish), Deerfield is too hot (young and straight).
In Delray the gay-gal level, while nowhere as flaming as the Boys-of-Wilton, is quite respectable, and rising due to the influx of friends and friends of friends..
The town is groovy and has a wonderful, wide adult mix for a beach community, which benefits us all.
It's not Wilton manors (and I like it that way) but the drive is a real easy 35 minutes door-to-door sans traffic, which is no big deal because the "rush hour" is tiny by most urban standards.
Lake Worth gay scene is small but vibrant, drawing on gals from all over Palm Beach County. It's old-Florida lo-scale style appeals to many people (I like it a lot - it's only 15 mins away) and is a nice option for those still working.

Good luck!

Er.. I guess you've figured out that I live in Delray?
I am really surprised to hear that Delray is a gay community. I am not gay, but had encountered this one night at an unnamed bar where I was sitting outside. All of a sudden all these gorgeous men were coming around and sitting with each other. It then dawn on me and I left feeling uncomfortable as maybe the men couple across from me.

Not everyone there I am sure is gay that lives in Delray, or at least the people I've met. But I do wonder about one guy I did meet who worked in the area...and especially his friend who worked at an unnamed bar.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:42 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,768,659 times
Delray Beach is not a "gay" community in the way that Wilton Manors or Key West are - FAR from it.
But it is more urbane, experienced, and open to the fun that colorful, but civilized (and quintessentially upper middle class) people of all stripes bring to a vibrant community. This promotes an atmosphere of happy, respectful, intelligent and friendly people that are conservative in the best sense of the word, without being stodgy. It's a lovely town and I am thrilled to live here.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:30 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,044,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Delray Beach is not a "gay" community in the way that Wilton Manors or Key West are - FAR from it.
But it is more urbane, experienced, and open to the fun that colorful, but civilized (and quintessentially upper middle class) people of all stripes bring to a vibrant community. This promotes an atmosphere of happy, respectful, intelligent and friendly people that are conservative in the best sense of the word, without being stodgy. It's a lovely town and I am thrilled to live here.
Maybe I should clarify myself and say that I noticed a large number of the gay community at a local hotel bar. Never seen that in the years I've been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach