Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2012, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 16,664 times

Advertisements

We're being located for husband's job which will be right on Palm Beach Island. We're looking at renting a 4+ bedroom house, but are not opposed to buying if the numbers work out to our benefit.

We need good elementary schools, a family-friendly neighborhood, and 30 minute max commute. So far, it looks like our best options are Wellington, Palm Beach Gardens and Jupiter. If we can't have a pool in the yard, a community pool would be necessary. I'm getting stuck on the year most of the homes in these areas were built. I'm really concerned about tainted drywall, so I'm looking for something built in 2000 or earlier or very recently like 2010 or later. It's pretty slim pickings! We'd like to stay between 2-3k for rent.

Any advice?

We're coming from the Cincinnati area and are targeting a move about 40 days from now. Temp housing is available to us, but we'd rather not move twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 01:13 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,396,248 times
The chinese drywall you are referring too is becoming less of a concern for buyers because now a home with defective drywall would have had it for 5+ years and the effects of the drywall would be fairly easy to detect.
The odor would most likely be unbearable, anything copper would be black, and ac's/appliances would not be working. I'm by no means saying not to keep an eye out for it, but it would be an extremely small chance of a house passing an inspection with CD this far along. Also keep in mind that it can be in any house that was remodeled during that time frame as well, so ruling out homes built from 2004-2007 is probably unnecessary just make sure you have a knowledgeable agent/inspector.

You will find renting in the areas you are looking at is going to be very hard (Jupiter/PBG especially) in your price range. Anything that comes on the market with 4 beds in that price range usually rents within the week. Even buying in the sub 400k range is tough right now as good inventory is shrinking rapidly. I would recommend to take a trip down for a few days get an idea of which area you like best, and if you don't find what you are looking for during that trip have your realtor set you up on updates to let you know when something new comes up so you can jump on it.

Wellington will be considerably less expensive per square foot for your home, but will also put you 20+ minutes to the beach.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 16,664 times
Thanks! That makes sense about the drywall and puts my mind at ease.

Can I ask you about Boynton Beach? There seems to be a lot more available down there, and the schools seem to be rated well. Is it family-friendly?

Also, what's the scoop on Lake Worth?

Old 05-02-2012, 08:26 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,396,248 times
West Boynton/Lake Worth will give you a lot of nice communities as well. A lot of the communities(Canyon's, Journeys End etc) were designed with families in mind and have resort like pools, tot lots, playgrounds, sports courts etc. Like Wellington you will get more "bang for your buck" and newer homes in these areas as well.
On the flip side it's a little isolated and 15 minutes or so from the beach and main shopping/restaurant areas.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:49 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,592,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingmom1041 View Post
Thanks! That makes sense about the drywall and puts my mind at ease.

Can I ask you about Boynton Beach? There seems to be a lot more available down there, and the schools seem to be rated well. Is it family-friendly?

Also, what's the scoop on Lake Worth?
I would look at Wellington, it's just east of Palm Beach with a nice drive via Southern Blvd, probably the most family friendly place around and has great schools and all the amenities. I lived in Wellington for a long time, although it has changed a lot over the past 10+ years, it might be worth a visit.

Wellington | Wellington Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach