Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 03:25 PM

7 posts, read 20,264 times

Advertisements

Some background first

My entire family uprooted from NY/NJ and moved to Boca Raton a few years back except for my sister and myself.

I have lived between NYC and NJ the entire time, am now married and have 2 wonderful kids. My wife's parents want to move to Boca as well but want us and their grand-kids to come down with them.

My wife is a sun and beach person, so she is all for it except she is going to miss our friends that we have in NJ.

I am an executive and my company has agreed to allow me to work from home or rent an office in Boca Raton. So I will be coming down with a six figure salary.

I have recently read a lot of posts about people that are or were unhappy living in FL. I love FL when I come and visit my family, I just don't know how I would love living there.

I have read posts about people complaining about the summers in FL, culture etc. The main argument was a lack of decent employment. Since I am coming with a well paying job, does that change most of the negatives of living in FL?

I would love to hear some experiences of people that have moved from the NY/NJ/Philly area and moved to the Boca area.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2012, 07:15 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,369,320 times
If your coming with a well steady paying Job, then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't like florida..Just keep in mind there are pros and cons just like in NY and NJ...Having been born and raised and Brooklyn and lived in NJ for 10 years before leaving, It isn't much different down here except for the beautiful weather and gorgeous palm trees, Just go into your move with your eyes open....My family and I love Florida and have been very happy as well as very happy with our schools..Since your families will be here too that is certainly a big plus...Good Luck to you

Old 05-05-2012, 08:07 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,106 times
There is a lot of transplants here from NY/NJ, so you will see a lot of places and such that derive from that area. Just recently they opened a Brooklyn Water Bagel Co nearby me, Lake Worth and 441, pretty good bagels I must say, but like the Pizza here which is hit or miss, it's just not the same as up North and for me being from Philly originally the Cheese Steak quality here is not even close you will miss some simple pleasures.

The atmosphere is what I miss, a lot of places look fake everything is new and clean, manicured, I almost feel like I'm at Epcot "Experience the Northeast" when I go into some places. I miss the attitudes and the worn out Italian pizza shops with Tony behind the counter making a good pie. Just to put it lightly, there is a serious lack of character for someone trying to get a dose of home.

It will take some time to adjust, but like NJ there is plenty of shopping here for the wives, sorry none of the malls are 3 stories though and we got plenty of strip malls as well. The beaches and weather is why people are here, take away that and this place would be as desolate as the Pine Barrens. If you don't enjoy playing golf, the beach and the associated lifestyle, you may be bored with it in time.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:05 AM

7 posts, read 20,264 times
Thanks for the info. Luckily I love playing Golf. So I guess the quality of food is lower in FL then Philly.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:09 PM

2,962 posts, read 4,995,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngabay View Post
Thanks for the info. Luckily I love playing Golf. So I guess the quality of food is lower in FL then Philly.
No, the quality of food is very good in Florida. It's just different.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:31 PM

623 posts, read 1,302,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWho? View Post
No, the quality of food is very good in Florida. It's just different.
The quality of the fruits and vegetables in Florida are far better than up north.

And other foods as well. And as far as being bored, you know what they say

Old 05-06-2012, 01:45 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,907,371 times
having been in both south jersey and florida, i prefer florida.

i am in small town florida, however, so it won't be the same experience as you will have in boca.

from my perspective:
disadvatage-humidity and heat in the summer (although we have this new invention called air conditioning now
disadvantage-miss philadelphia soft pretzels
disadvantage-higher than NJ house insurance, offset by a lot lower property taxes.

for me, the rest is all advantages:

i am amazed how many stars i see at night when i look up compared to NJ.

no snow shoveling or scraping ice off the windshield.

no warming up the car before you can get going.

no car inspections

no state income tax

slower pace of life

less traffic here (although i think boca has a lot of traffic)-one gripe locally-i don't know who sets the traffic lights but you can sit at a light with no traffic in either direction forever until the lights change at night

year round outdoor activities

weekend art/food/music fairs and festivals in the small towns.

you can grow your own fruit and vegetables year round (as previously stated).

you don't have to wear layers of clothes, or spend time putting layers of clothes on others.

i find that i am increasingly interested in outdoor activities-like kayaking (which i never did before), birdwatching hikes (ditto), walking the dogs, biking, or just lounging at the beach, reading a book, on my time off.

life can be good.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:57 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Most malcontents with Florida were/are hit hard with economic woes. Others seriously do not like the hot weather and will kvetch all day about it.

If you have a good salary, and choose where you live wisely, you can find a good balance of character and climate in Palm Beach County. There is every type of housing and neighborhood you can imagine... from acreage farmlets to ocean front condos, gated super communities to historic neighborhoods.

Come with a positive attitude and DO NOT expect it to be like where you came from, and you can be living a very nice lifestyle.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngabay View Post
If you love playing golf, then you will be in heaven here.

Food is hit or miss, sooner or later you will find the places that are good and stick with them. It's more of the things you can't get down here that are common up North and the atmosphere.

They import some things and try to imitate but it's just not the same. I tried Big Al's Steaks which is a local chain, claiming to be authentic Philly Style, was not impressed even said the rolls are from Philly but they are not Amorosa. Not that I eat cheese steaks that often, maybe once and a while. Doesn't fit my healthy lifestyle too well.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKIRAV View Post
The quality of the fruits and vegetables in Florida are far better than up north.

And other foods as well. And as far as being bored, you know what they say

Not at Publix, their produce usually is pretty bad, reason I get all my from Whole Foods or Joseph's Classic Market. I really need to get down to Bedner's sometime, drove by there a week ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach