Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:40 PM

428 posts, read 5,884,289 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about purchasing a vacation home in Florida, perhaps by next summer. I would appreciate any information and opinions I could get!

Right now I need some more info before i consider myself a serious buyer. First, i am still undecided on the area. I am considering east Florida only. I guess I am interested in all the area between Miami and Palm Beach. I have not been to Florida since the early 90s so any information/ opinions on what the area offers would be great! I was originally considering Miami because I hear a lot about how much it has changed in since the 90s. However, my parents are pushing for me to look in places like Boca Raton, West Palm Beach, and Manalapan. I lived in Boca Raton for 5 years (91-96) and don't really remember it. A big concern of mine is that boca ( and all of palm beach) has this facad of being a place where a lot of NYers go to retire. I don't want to be in a 'boring' part of town, nor do I want to be in a dangerous part of Miami... If someone could put my fears to rest about palm beach being dead, I might consider it more seriously. The nice places I have heard about in Miami are Coral Gables and Fisher Island. Are there other similar nice areas? What about Fort Lauderdale? Should I consider things like property taxes between the areas?

As far as what i am looking for, home wise, my budget is around $1.5-2M. I want new construction, preferable in gated neighborhood with amenities like fitness center, pool, lake, and maybe a golf course (although not necessary). Good schools nearby and good shopping. Also, potential to rent as I would only be using it for the summer months June-August. Being in a development isn't a must though. If you know of any new developments going up, please share the name or website for them!

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 05:47 AM

66 posts, read 187,376 times
Look in Jupiter Country Club, we are building brand new 4k sq ft home for half the price we can get downtown Chicago. Their website isnt that impressive but when we got down there we found a stunning new home (their model) and now we are sold! It's west of 95 so hurricane insurance is cheaper and easy access to highway. It's worth flying down just to check it out, has everything your looking for gated golf course, beautiful swimming pool, restaurant/club house, fitness center, etc. You can definitely find what you are looking for within your budget.

Last edited by windycitychicago; 06-03-2012 at 05:48 AM.. Reason: Adding

Old 06-03-2012, 05:51 AM

Oh plus you'll have enough left to buy a boat etc. Its a fun community there are great restaurants and my feeling is that most newbies that move to Jupiter are fast track people with an entrepreneurial spirit and want to build a close knit community..

Old 06-04-2012, 02:25 AM

428 posts, read 5,884,289 times
That looks interesting, I will definitely check that out. I like that it is by Toll brothers- I've been to a development of theirs called Windgate (AZ) and was pretty impressed. The only downside I see on paper is it being ~2 hrs away from Miami.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:42 AM

The homes are beautiful! Yeah, if you want close access to Miami that's a bit of a hike. You mention
good schools, i know that Jupiter has a good reputation, we plan to send our 10 year old son to a private in WPB only bc he goes to private now but i think the public schools are great too. There's a ton of shopping in Palm Beach& WPB which i believe just a few exits away from Jupiter. Everything is relatively close in proximity.

We plan to leave during the summer months due to the heat, maybe you should rent the first season i'm sure there are several snow birds that would be willing to rent their place to you during the summer
months.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:45 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,041 times
They aren't in gated communities, but there are a couple nice new homes being built in Delray Beach right now. Some are walking distance to Atlantic Ave and the beach.
There is a Toll Brothers community in Boca, Azura, that is a little below your price range, but might work.
The Oaks also has some new construction left as well.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:50 PM

143 posts, read 471,578 times
There is a new community called the Bridges going up in Boca. It might be considered Delray...just north of Clint Moore off of Lyons. Looks very nice, no golf....but it is gated, not the greatest public schools IMO. Azura pretty much stopped...they are having trouble finishing construction in there...nice house but I believe there are under 15 built, but better public schools, again no golf.
You may need to check the association rules on all these communities regarding rentals, I know where I am they only allow annual rentals. So that may be a problem for you in any gated community down here....just thought I would throw that out there....Good luck!

Old 09-29-2012, 03:15 PM

5 posts, read 11,195 times
Default Regarding The Bridges community in Delray Beach

Vince,

I agree with JC, The Briges by G.L. Homes seems like a good fit for you. With your budget, you could have one of the top of the line homes in there. I haven't personally taken a tour of the community yet, but I'm planning to. My friend bought a home there and she told me there will be 600 homes built, and 200 have already been sold. In fact, sales are going so well, delivery is backed up into Feb. 2013, my friend said. What's nice about that community is the proximity to Boca, and Atlantic Ave., in Delray, is a booming area for entertainment and dining now. Delray has become a really fun, hip town, and the beach is gorgeous, there are chairs on the beach for rental, restaurants with a view to the ocean for dining or al fresco dining on the many restaurants lining Atlantic Ave. In addition, there are plans for a huge shopping/entertainment complex to be built near the community, on Atlantic and Lyons, that will feature an IMAX theater, and a bowling alley, among other offerings. Being west of I-95 also means affordable insurance premiums, and it's easier to get insurance.

Here's the website for the bridges: GL Homes Mobile Mobile

Here's an article about the new shopping complex being built, called Delray Marketplace:
West Delray Beach shopping and entertainment complex takes shape | www.palmbeachpost.com

Last but not least, if you decide not to look into The Bridges, wherever you look for homes, keep in mind that some homes built during the real estate boom in Florida around 2005-2007, may have Chinese Drywall problems.

Good luck on your home search, and welcome back to Florida!

Old 09-29-2012, 05:07 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,044,778 times
Question West Delray Marketplace

I think I heard about this that was going to be built when I was down there back in April-May. Will there be any villa or condos built near there, or is there already~? If there is already, what is the cost around~? I've looked when I was down, but never liked anything 100%. Is there any other construction that is going on for villas or condos that are less in cost than the prices in the "Bridges" subdivision~?

Old 09-29-2012, 05:36 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,397,041 times
It's all single family in the Bridges.
There are new townhouses going up in Downtown Delray for around $500k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach