Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 11:26 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,367,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchiamom View Post
I don't know one family that is happy with Olympic High. Most apply for the programs at Spanish River to get out of there...now you have to apply for the ROTC at Boca High unless you are zoned for there because they had so many applicants for their programs....kind of makes me wonder...
JC your so right...Now the kicker is, that Schools like River and those that have academies alike are looking more closely at their academy's and well lets just say taking more and more kids who its their home school rather than out of the school zone....and If a child is not pulling a B in all Academy Classes they will be thrown out of the program and returned to their Home School....One of the girls my daughter dances with they are zoned for Olympic beautiful home and their son did not get into either academy at West boca High or River and well she isnt too happy but it is what it is....

Now Boca High is almost impossible to get into the ROTC is so overcrowded because its the only academy that was available...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 01:28 PM

59 posts, read 145,510 times
The reason that I had said...guess I'll stay in Parkland - is because it will be impossible for me to find the type of home in Boca, that I can get in Parkland...especially for the money. If the schools are comparable...I will be willing to drive 15 minutes to Boca need be. I absolutely love the look and feel of Parkland.

I will continue to browse Boca real estate, however, it is very expensive and the homes are way older.

Just my opinion. Thank you all for your input.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:40 PM

Gate your correct, you will get more house for the money in Parkland and the schools are the same academically so your child/children will be just fine no worries..and its not that bad of a drive to Boca if you like to dine out or shop Enjoy Parkland and good luck to your family...Please report how they are doing in school and if they like it...

Old 07-19-2012, 05:48 AM

82 posts, read 219,926 times
And I know many families that are thrilled with Olympic High School. As a matter of fact I spoke to one of my dear friends in Boca who cannot stand Spanish River.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:00 AM

5312 its ok that they can't stand River, its not for everyone, but for me having had my children in a lot of different schools from NJ and NC and they were all top rated, I knew what I was looking for in a School..having friends and family/teachers etc I happen to had visited many many schools between Weston and Boca Raton and made our decision based on a lot of different qualifying factors...We are extremely happy with the schools our children attend again after living in numerous of states we feel this school gives what they need to for our son academically.... For our family I was not putting my child into Olympic as I was not impressed when I went to the school nor was I impressed talking to administration and seeing the report card for the school..Schools are very subjective and very personal as I have said before.. The parents I know hope that they can get them into the Academies at the other HS's in Boca...I would hope that people would do extensive research and take the time to go to the schools and see for themselves if it is what they are looking for in a School, Unfortunately not everyone relocating can do that due to time restraints or whatever then we all have the right to give our opinion and why or why not we chose the schools we did...and As a parent of 2 children, I would hope people would be honest lets face it relocating is very difficult when you have a family as we have relocated a lot due to my dh's career...Like you, everyone is entitled to their opinion as a Parent considering you have experience with this school...This has nothing to do with oh my school is great, because at the end of the day there are a lot of great schools like in parkland and Weston but for us we liked the feel of Boca and it was near my aunt and uncle and my parents when they come down for 4 months in the Winter and some of our friends we know...At the end of the day, ...Olympic Just happens to be the only HS in Boca that is way under Capacity and that is because those parents try to get their kids into these Academy's so they wont have to attend their home school...River has 2280 so the info shows however when I saw the guidance counselor in May she said they were at 2479 kids right now, and Boca High has 2914 students although the Vice Principal when we spoke mentioned that Boca High has 3000 in change. West Boca High School has 2094 students and Olympic has 1892 Kids...All im saying is that it is not one of the preferred High Schools... and unless you are in the school zone, it isnt as easy as it used to be to get in to the other academies..I Cant help or change the Reputation that Olympic has, I just know talking to parents and students and how they feel about the school...

Old 07-19-2012, 02:57 PM

143 posts, read 471,522 times
And you know Gate, there is always private...I'm zoned for River but my child goes to St Andrews....lol and he is not an ivy leaguer....

Old 07-22-2012, 12:01 PM

82 posts, read 219,926 times
Yes and for me and my children Olympic is a great fit. I totally agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you should maybe reread some of your postings. You have had no problem bashing Olympic or some other schools. There is a fine line with you between disparaging and just your opinion. BTW you are not the only one with parents friends neighbors cousins aunts uncles dogs cats and other pets who have done their research about schools in this county. Unfortunately not everyone can afford or wants to live in Boca. I chose not to.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 PM

I do not bash Olympic I basically tell people or Ive posted the link for the Accountability School Report and the scores which I cant make up and the families we know who weren't happy with it socially or Academically Im sorry but I cant change people's experiences...I also always tell people to do their homework and such, but as a parent I would not send my child/children there...Its no different than a lot of other posters in the other forums that give their opinions on schools in that particular area, and people voice their opinion and go by what and who they know that attend the schools...Again it was fine for you and your kids and you decided not to live in boca again your choice, We knew where we wanted to live and what was important to us....if we know people with experience with the schools 1st hand then I always post how they feel about them Again I cant change if they are happy or not happy.....My children attended 2 other schools in West Boca and I never bashed them I gave my opinion if someone asked about the school since I did have experience with them and after having that experience and visiting all the Boca Schools to make sure I made the right decision We feel we made the right Decision this time around....I am well aware that other people have friends and family I was referring to my family dh and my 2 children and why we decided on the area we did again there were many qualifying factors with Schools being the 1st....the difference is Ive lived in 5 other states and pretty much know how difficult it is to relocate a family let alone have anxiety to find the Right school for one's children...I do read my other posts and I cant change accountability reports or Reputation of schools, I can however give my opinion and or advice to do as much research one can before sending their children to a particular school...For the same reason I cant change people's mind if they don't River or Omni or any other school for that matter and honestly I don't really care, Because people will have different experiences than others and are entilted to their opinion whether I agree or disagree....I know someone who will not send their kid to River no matter what I say, but at the end of the day that is their decision we are freinds and I respect the fact that the school isn't for her child, However I don't agree with her because of my own experience which is why over and over again schools are subjective.....Maybe more happy parents like you should come on the Boards and express how much they like Olympic or whatever school their child is in, so people can hear why they like the school and or Why they do not like the school.....However What I do care about is that my child is getting what they need from the school to be successful in life and I will always express my happiness or dislike....There are things I dont like about each of my child's school lets face it there is no perfect school, but I don't sweat the things that are out of my control especially if they do not pertain to my child/children but I will be involved with the school to always knows what is going on bad good or indifferent...Sometimes We make sacrifices for our kids to make sure they have the very best in life

Last edited by Swimmom32; 07-22-2012 at 01:09 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 02:12 PM

143 posts, read 471,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5312 View Post
Yes and for me and my children Olympic is a great fit. I totally agree that everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you should maybe reread some of your postings. You have had no problem bashing Olympic or some other schools. There is a fine line with you between disparaging and just your opinion. BTW you are not the only one with parents friends neighbors cousins aunts uncles dogs cats and other pets who have done their research about schools in this county. Unfortunately not everyone can afford or wants to live in Boca. I chose not to.
Call me crazy but how do your kids go to Olympic and Eagles Landings if you don't live in Boca? Are those two also in the Delray zone? I'm not up on my zones obviously....so sorry for the dumb question.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,801 times
Default The bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by gateway142 View Post
Hi,

We just moved to Parkland from NY with 10 yr old twin boys. We are renting this year and will be looking to buy within the year. We came across The Bridges in Boca/Delray. The community, homes, floorplans, amenities are AMAZING!

I am just concerned about the schools which are Eagles Landing and Olympic Heights. I haven't heard great things...BUT - what if you are in the gifted program? Can you go to other neighboring schools? OR are these in fact good schools, especially for gifted?

I do LOVE Parkland...but hate that we have to go to Coral Springs for everything. It would be nice to be closer to Boca and closer to the beach.

Just really concerned about schools...please provide any opinions/input...thanks!
I thought the school was whispering pines elementary?..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach