Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:09 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,572,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Will any of these Thai joints light you up with heat? I've found it's hard in FL even when you ask.
Yes, you can choose mild, medium or spicy.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 12:56 AM

711 posts, read 1,848,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Yes, you can choose mild, medium or spicy.....
I've found that in Florida, much more so than other states, "spicy" and "light you up" aren't synonyms. There seems to be a pronounced inability to serve a "spicy" that's actually hot. I understand most people don't like it hot. That's ok, but isn't that what mild is for? Why tone down the hot too?

Old 09-15-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
I've found that in Florida, much more so than other states, "spicy" and "light you up" aren't synonyms. There seems to be a pronounced inability to serve a "spicy" that's actually hot. I understand most people don't like it hot. That's ok, but isn't that what mild is for? Why tone down the hot too?
I see it listed differently, I eat at a lot of Indian places, curry's and vindaloos, they have a range of spiciness and condiments to kick it up provided at the table.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:13 AM

711 posts, read 1,848,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
I see it listed differently, I eat at a lot of Indian places, curry's and vindaloos, they have a range of spiciness and condiments to kick it up provided at the table.
Condiments produce a very different tasting dish than one cooked hot to begin with. Having a range of spiciness is pointless when the hot isn't hot, and when you ask for it "extra hot" or "thai hot" they won't deliver. The chinese joints I've tried have the same defect. Like I said, mild is for people who can't handle or don't like the heat. Hot shouldn't be like that too.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Condiments produce a very different tasting dish than one cooked hot to begin with. Having a range of spiciness is pointless when the hot isn't hot, and when you ask for it "extra hot" or "thai hot" they won't deliver. The chinese joints I've tried have the same defect. Like I said, mild is for people who can't handle or don't like the heat. Hot shouldn't be like that too.
Personally I do not notice a difference, since I do not prefer overly hot/spicy because it kills the taste of the food for me. I know there are a few places that I frequent that will make it how ever you want it, I do not eat at too many Chinese places, I prefer more India, Thai and Japanese, since most Chinese places here are Catonese style with too much starch in their food, Szechuan style is not too spicy here either.

I just use the condiments, many which are high quality fresh ingredients to kick it up, these are not bottled hot sauces but I am sure they will give you a Ghost Pepper to chew on if you need more heat....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach