Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 07:03 AM

355 posts, read 913,040 times

Advertisements

FWIW, if you look under events at the JCC website the photos show a lot of older couples. No children, however maybe parents did not want their kids photographed or maybe it just include one particular event.
Event Photo Gallery Jupiter Country Club News and Events

Then there is their list of clubs. Does not mention any "kids" type of clubs like the Ritz, Mirasol, etc. However that could be due to not enough kids yet.
Clubs Within a Club - Jupiter Country Club
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,013,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eerickso View Post
No, actually, in your friend's case the way to go would have been to do research at the start and not plan to buy in a brand new community that was really geared to older people vs. couples with young children. When I bought my current house, we were the first ones on the block but we knew we were going to be here for many years to come. So, getting in early when we had our pick of the lots and the pricing was attractive was worth it for us. We've been here for 18 years now and have doubled our money. If we tried to sell before the community was even built out (in our case it took 2 years for 32 homes) we knew it would have been tough and we likely would have lost money. I'm surprised your friend plunked down $180K in the first place, knowing he was signing a binding contract!

Legal owners. I couldn't tell you if the folks who purchased these homes have put furniture inside yet, or how many dogs or cats they might have. However, they are actual homes that have closed. There are another 40 or so with signed contracts and deposits, and more with refundable lot holds. The latter are usually good for 2 weeks or so prior to a signed contract.

I understand you have bitter feelings since you feel that in some way your friend was misled, but it looks like a series of bad decisions were made by your friend. That's no reason to keep bashing the community nor the builder. There are many people who don't agree with your assessment. We talked with a number of them (our future neighbors who already live in JCC) while we were there last week.
He knew what he was signing but found "post" construction that the community wasn't going to meet his needs (no neighbors = no kids etc). 5500 sq ft 6 bedroom homes are clearly not aimed at the retiree market like the smaller/one story/cheaper homes are. Not bashing the builder, you even admitted you were shocked that they still build "wood 2nd floor" homes at that price point.

As far as 100 "legal owners" you were clearly misled. Visit the property appraiser's site, they don't list 100 homes sold so there is no chance there are 100 "legal owners"....probably closer to 50 actual homes built, finished, sold to end user. The PA website lists 108 qualified sales, some include multiple sales on the same property (resales) yet most are Toll to Toll Partnership sales.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:20 PM

66 posts, read 187,418 times
I love love JCC, anyone that is serious about buying in Jupiter will be impressed w/ the community (I encourage a quick look even if it's just for comps). We are retired so it makes sense for us but if I were unsure about my future and income I'd be careful about buying in FL any where. What brought us there was cityguy's "friend's" resale, but when we got to the sales office we were so impressed w/ the model homes and the prices that we knew this was a place where we wanted to buy. If we didn't build here we probably would have stayed in Chicago because we were not impressed with any other homes that our realtor brought us to. I feel lucky to have stumbled across JCC I feel bad for those that bought in the height of the market but that goes the same anywhere and every where

Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 PM

61 posts, read 160,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitychicago View Post
I love love JCC, anyone that is serious about buying in Jupiter will be impressed w/ the community (I encourage a quick look even if it's just for comps). We are retired so it makes sense for us but if I were unsure about my future and income I'd be careful about buying in FL any where. What brought us there was cityguy's "friend's" resale, but when we got to the sales office we were so impressed w/ the model homes and the prices that we knew this was a place where we wanted to buy. If we didn't build here we probably would have stayed in Chicago because we were not impressed with any other homes that our realtor brought us to. I feel lucky to have stumbled across JCC I feel bad for those that bought in the height of the market but that goes the same anywhere and every where
Completely agree. As far as any of the rest, anyone with any interest in the community can go to the county website and count up each and every lot and condominium owner (other than JCC or Toll) in the community. Then you'll know the facts as I do regarding the number of owners in the community (and it's as I originally stated). Oh, and on further checking, I've found out that the 'wood second floor' isn't all that unusual in FL after all. And that's from my friends who have lived in FL for years. Everything I've seen with my own eyes, of houses in all states of construction, indicates that Toll Brothers is second to none in the area. If not, I wouldn't be buying there.

I started this thread asking for information about the community. At this point, I think windycitychicago and I have more facts that anyone else who has chimed in, so anyone else stumbling on this thread with similar questions might want to follow up with personal messages. I'm not going to waste anymore time discounting falsehoods about the community and the builder from someone who obviously has an axe to grind.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:52 PM

58 posts, read 247,970 times
I'm sorry, but I'm going on have to disagree with jgreco5 and eerickso and agree with City Guy on the JCC being geared towards families AS WELL as older couples. In a way we are all right.

You see I did some research past their web site. On their Facebook site where they have a much more vast library of albums filled with photos of their events. These photos are filled with lots and lots of children. Here is a small example of some of the family filled events: Family Fun Day at the Range, Father's Day Poolside BBQ, Breakfast with Santa, USTA Free Youth Play day, Cinco de Mayo Poolside BBQ, Fri Night at the movies, Memorial Day BBQ, etc. The albums with children go on and on.

And the point I agree with City Guy as they are selling homes with 6 bedrooms which indicates they are specifically marketing and selling to families not just retirees. (I also asked my broker to confirm this.)

But I do understand and believe that they probably have an extremely limited amount of children right now. From what my broker told me, they expect that to change as the club grows (which goes along to WindyCity's comment.) Which is ok for me considering my son isn't even two yet and my daughter isn't even born! So our family has time to grow with the community.

I do think the lack of a kid's club is only an indicator that the club hasn't had time to develop. I know my husband, who is an obsessive golfer, looks forward to playing with our son in their golf programs.

That being said, if we are all neighbors in the future, I hope that children won't put a damper on people who might have chosen the JCC as their retirement home base. I would prefer to be in a community where children are not only welcome, but loved.

P.S. I also did the search you mentioned of Google on: "jupiter country club active older adult 55." I found that you could also do this search and toggle out JCC and put in any of the Toll Brother FL communities and you would get the same exact results. These are mostly just real estate firms marketing to this demographic. Those sites are quite generic.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:44 AM

By the time you are ready to move there will, no doubt, be many more families there. Back several years ago, when they first started selling homes in the community, I'd say the chances would have been very slim. The same would be true for any community in the initial stages of development, but I think that would be self evident to most people. Heck, I'm buying a home on a lot that has *no* neighbors yet, of any age. I certainly understood that before I plunked down any non-refundable deposits! I also think there will be more families with older children than those with toddlers based on the nature of the community and the price-points.

BTW, my intent wasn't to shut down discussion. I'm just saying I'm not going to respond to the repetitive builder and community bashing by Cityguy as it's beginning to seem rather like troll behavior.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Oh, and on further checking, I've found out that the 'wood second floor' isn't all that unusual in FL after all. And that's from my friends who have lived in FL for years. Everything I've seen with my own eyes, of houses in all states of construction, indicates that Toll Brothers is second to none in the area. If not, I wouldn't be buying there.

I started this thread asking for information about the community. At this point, I think windycitychicago and I have more facts that anyone else who has chimed in, so anyone else stumbling on this thread with similar questions might want to follow up with personal messages. I'm not going to waste anymore time discounting falsehoods about the community and the builder from someone who obviously has an axe to grind.

A. "Wood second floor" in 1984, yep pretty standard. After the Hurricane Andrew in 1992 and the "Dade County Hurricane Standards" that ensued.....Wood 2nd floors are not commonplace in new construction today especially at the price point that Toll charges! Divosta (a blue collar builder for the masses) has been all concrete for 40 years. Even today (Pulte now owns the company) all of their homes/townhouses are concrete 2nd floor walls. His son (Guy Divosta) even does concrete floors on the 2nd floor on his 500K custom homes. Lennar (big project in Jupiter called Rialto) is also concrete walls all the way to the roof line.

Toll is the only major builder that is doing wood 2nd floors and their homes have had issues with it. Leaks where the wood seams to the concrete 1st floor. Mold then follows with wood rot being the final result. Wood walls do not belong in a humid, bug infested environment with long seasonal rains and a high probability of frequent windstorms.

B. You do not have "more facts that anyone else".....You have repeated sales propaganda and then when things are brought up that counter your "facts" you quickly jump to the "axe to grind" scenario.
You have a vested interest in Toll Brothers since you have invested your 5K deposit, had lunch at the clubhouse once or twice and seem to suck in everything the sales people push on you as facts when they clearly have a bias towards "selling at any cost!"

Facts still stand:

3 new closed sales in all of 2012.....Yet all back in April, so crickets for the last 7 months!
4 resales, all of which lost money. 3 of those were 400K or more losses!
There are not 100 owners in that planned community of 350, under construction since 2006. Probably closer to 50 owners.
All of Toll Brothers homes are wood second floor, which is less superior to CBS (Concrete Block Stucco). (Ever read the 3 Little Pigs Story )

Old 11-15-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
By the time you are ready to move there will, no doubt, be many more families there. Back several years ago, when they first started selling homes in the community, I'd say the chances would have been very slim. The same would be true for any community in the initial stages of development, but I think that would be self evident to most people. Heck, I'm buying a home on a lot that has *no* neighbors yet, of any age. I certainly understood that before I plunked down any non-refundable deposits! I also think there will be more families with older children than those with toddlers based on the nature of the community and the price-points.

BTW, my intent wasn't to shut down discussion. I'm just saying I'm not going to respond to the repetitive builder and community bashing by Cityguy as it's beginning to seem rather like troll behavior.

Not troll behavior, I have been there many times and just don't see it through the "rose colored glasses" that you do. BTW, Frenchman's Reserve is a higher price point and loaded with kids so your "price point" theory just got tossed out the window.

JCC was in the "initial stages of development in 2006"...........That is when the course was built and construction began on the residences. What is the sales center calling it now in 2012? Second wind, close out, re-launch, grand re-opening? Sure hope Toll Brothers owns that sales trailer vs renting it.......Most sales trailers are gone in a year.....this one might need a remodel and a roof before it is sold out!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Anyone with any interest in the community can go to the county website and count up each and every lot and condominium owner (other than JCC or Toll) in the community. Then you'll know the facts as I do regarding the number of owners in the community (and it's as I originally stated).
BTW, in case I wasn't clear in my post, please feel free to go through the same time consuming and rather tedious process I did. You can click on every piece of property in the community and see who the legal owner is.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:
BTW, in case I wasn't clear in my post, please feel free to go through the same time consuming and rather tedious process I did. You can click on every piece of property in the community and see who the legal owner is.

Ok, I got it. Bob and Mary Smith buy a home in JCC, I call that as one sale, one home. You see it listed in the Property Appraisers office as Bob Smith, then Mary Smith = 2 residents.

50 homes sold but 100 residents (married couples, partners etc). That still isn't 100 homes sold but think of the positive, if 100 homes do sell then you will be able to say there are 200 residents out there now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach