Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 12:09 AM

499 posts, read 586,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Not really, people are ignorant thinking South Florida is still a cheap place to live. Salaries are often all relative with exception in South Florida, expect to pay more for things that people in CA on average pay less for, once Palm Beach County raises the Sales Tax to 8%...opinions will change.
As I've mentioned in multiple posts, I don't believe that South Florida is a "cheap place to live" by any means, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper than Fairfield County, CT where I lived for 40+ years. I believe you've said you have friends who live there, so you know exactly what I'm talking about.

These are the points made by FL1150 that I was referring to:

"I don't understand how you are comparing a mega region known for tech jobs around the world to a county trying to diversify its economy" TRUE and an excellent point

"Most cities in this country don't have nearly as much opportunity in the tech field as Silicon Valley." Also TRUE

"However let's not act like companies over in Cali are paying enough to keep up with the rising cost of living." VERY TRUE - housing prices have increased dramatically, have wages increases kept up?

As far as I know, the 8% sales tax is only a proposal (with plenty of opposition), so unless you know something the rest of us don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 08:32 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
once Palm Beach County raises the Sales Tax to 8%...opinions will change.
Usually the sales tax jumps have limits so like on a car the full tax amount is on the first $5,000 then a lower tax rate on the rest of the car (Dade county had this arrangement years back) so on large purchases the sales tax isn't terrible.

Lets consider you spend $1000 dollars a week on sales taxable purchases. Your tax bill is $60 a week currently and will rise to $80. For someone that spends a grand a week the extra $20 isn't even going to be noticed. So after a year you spent an extra $1040 in sales tax but once again for a person that spends 52K a year I'm not sure they noticed.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:08 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
As I've mentioned in multiple posts, I don't believe that South Florida is a "cheap place to live" by any means, but it is a hell of a lot cheaper than Fairfield County, CT where I lived for 40+ years. I believe you've said you have friends who live there, so you know exactly what I'm talking about.

These are the points made by FL1150 that I was referring to:

"I don't understand how you are comparing a mega region known for tech jobs around the world to a county trying to diversify its economy" TRUE and an excellent point

"Most cities in this country don't have nearly as much opportunity in the tech field as Silicon Valley." Also TRUE

"However let's not act like companies over in Cali are paying enough to keep up with the rising cost of living." VERY TRUE - housing prices have increased dramatically, have wages increases kept up?

As far as I know, the 8% sales tax is only a proposal (with plenty of opposition), so unless you know something the rest of us don't.
Only difference is everyone I know who lives in Fairfield County either works in Stamford or Manhattan and make a lot of $. The COL is high as are taxes, but that's where the jobs are.

Now these are not "tech" jobs, but that's the buzz in the world today, STEM and Tech, a lot of people sending their kids to early education focusing on this, problem is their kids will have a tough time staying here for work after they get through middle, high and higher ed in a STEM related field.

No place is really paying enough to keep up with the high COL, it's often relative and if you can score a good income or above average...but often the statement South Florida is a bargain for those who have to work in specific fields, is a misnomer and untrue. Many specific fields just struggle to get ahead here, pay is low, very low and there is limited opportunity yet the COL is high and getting worse each year.

I live P/T in CA and P/T in Palm Beach, while home prices out here are out of reach, NorCal SF Bay Area and regional, even here in Napa the prices are very high, plenty of people in Tech can afford them, but not all.

Back in South Florida medians in desirable areas are quite high for typical wage earners, even in some situations where you make above average wages, have 2 kids and stay at home Wife. The offset compare to CA is higher Taxes, Home Owners Insurance and etc.

Sure, if you are looking to buy, CA is pricey for a detached home in the popular areas, but not all over and it's a big state. Same goes for Florida...move out of South Florida and you can find a house for a lot less.

Since you renting in Wellington, I can tell you as I own two properties there, one I rented for years the other was my primary home since the 90's, both are renting for over $2,500/month, I will be bumping up the rent or selling depending how the market goes over the next few months. The leases are coming up for renewal in several months. Rents all over Welly World for single detached homes in desirable areas are rising and going up. I have several Real Estate friends who back this up, in some instances the gated communities have seen $200-$300 rate hikes, places are on the market for rent for 1 or 3 days and get 10 to 20 inquiries and get rented just as fast, do the math...1st, last + Security Deposit due on lease signing. A lot of $ to have up front and most that work and live here at the medians, cannot afford this.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:13 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Usually the sales tax jumps have limits so like on a car the full tax amount is on the first $5,000 then a lower tax rate on the rest of the car (Dade county had this arrangement years back) so on large purchases the sales tax isn't terrible.

Lets consider you spend $1000 dollars a week on sales taxable purchases. Your tax bill is $60 a week currently and will rise to $80. For someone that spends a grand a week the extra $20 isn't even going to be noticed. So after a year you spent an extra $1040 in sales tax but once again for a person that spends 52K a year I'm not sure they noticed.
People will notice it, the ones who are living paycheck to paycheck and there are a lot. A lot of companies in South Florida only gave COLA's to their employees for this year, no raises..less than 2% COLA, so that will be eaten up by rising health and car insurance hikes and the proposed sales tax hike.

Sure, a lot of people won't care but those are the same types that drink wine like it's going out of style and pay way too much for it compared to where I'm at currently.

Old 03-07-2016, 04:30 AM

499 posts, read 586,333 times
Quote:
Since you renting in Wellington, I can tell you as I own two properties there, one I rented for years the other was my primary home since the 90's, both are renting for over $2,500/month, I will be bumping up the rent or selling depending how the market goes over the next few months. The leases are coming up for renewal in several months. Rents all over Welly World for single detached homes in desirable areas are rising and going up. I have several Real Estate friends who back this up, in some instances the gated communities have seen $200-$300 rate hikes, places are on the market for rent for 1 or 3 days and get 10 to 20 inquiries and get rented just as fast, do the math...1st, last + Security Deposit due on lease signing. A lot of $ to have up front and most that work and live here at the medians, cannot afford this.
Very, very true! I posted about this on another thread. I cannot believe what is going on with rentals right now The market is totally crazy and prices are skyrocketing. Our lease is up soon and we've decided to look for a bigger place with a pool. Places are listing high and going fast. Asking prices are easily $200 - 500 more than last year, and 2015 prices were $200-300 over 2014 prices. We saw a place the day it listed that I absolutely fell in love with - by the time we got back home that afternoon it was gone. It was literally on for a day (and it was fairly small and not cheap, but it was in pristine condition).

I agree that you have to have some cash on hand. For a $2800 rent, you need $8400 up front minimum, PLUS application fees (credit checks, background, HOA applications) which range from $100 - 500, plus the cost of moving - it's like 10 grand total, just to move in I don't see how the medians can pull it off. My advice to anyone moving here is to save, save, save. Also, get your credit score as high as you can and bring as little "crap" with you as possible. We sold a lot of stuff on ebay, Craigslist, and donated the rest for the tax break.

Wellington is beautiful & wonderful place for families, but its not cheap. (It's still less money than NY/NJ/CT though and much nicer) It's sad to see prices climb so much, so quickly. Hard working, middle class people are going to be pushed out. It's really a shame. Another thing is that I'm shocked by the condition of a lot of rentals we've been seeing. Disgustingly filthy and really really beat up. Some places look like they were used as frat houses. I don't understand who is renting these homes and why they treat nice places so poorly.

Old 03-07-2016, 05:03 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,164,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
Very, very true! I posted about this on another thread. I cannot believe what is going on with rentals right now The market is totally crazy and prices are skyrocketing. Our lease is up soon and we've decided to look for a bigger place with a pool. Places are listing high and going fast. Asking prices are easily $200 - 500 more than last year, and 2015 prices were $200-300 over 2014 prices. We saw a place the day it listed that I absolutely fell in love with - by the time we got back home that afternoon it was gone. It was literally on for a day (and it was fairly small and not cheap, but it was in pristine condition).

I agree that you have to have some cash on hand. For a $2800 rent, you need $8400 up front minimum, PLUS application fees (credit checks, background, HOA applications) which range from $100 - 500, plus the cost of moving - it's like 10 grand total, just to move in I don't see how the medians can pull it off. My advice to anyone moving here is to save, save, save. Also, get your credit score as high as you can and bring as little "crap" with you as possible. We sold a lot of stuff on ebay, Craigslist, and donated the rest for the tax break.

Wellington is beautiful & wonderful place for families, but its not cheap. (It's still less money than NY/NJ/CT though and much nicer) It's sad to see prices climb so much, so quickly. Hard working, middle class people are going to be pushed out. It's really a shame. Another thing is that I'm shocked by the condition of a lot of rentals we've been seeing. Disgustingly filthy and really really beat up. Some places look like they were used as frat houses. I don't understand who is renting these homes and why they treat nice places so poorly.
I agree and really wondering how families pay for all that, monthly. And how high it can go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach