Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 12,426 times

Advertisements

Good Morning! I'm working on convincing my husband to move to the West Palm area from Maryland and would love to hear what others appreciate about the area. It's my family that lives in South Florida, so the draw isn't as big for him. I'm trying to convince him that there's much to do, see and love about it! Thanks so much for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 10:25 AM

52 posts, read 301,342 times
Dear Fla b. I really simpatize so much with your husband, having to go to Florida and live near his IN-LAWS, must be a horrible situation for him, personally it would kill me, infact it already did! I am in the same situation, only the opposite! My wife refuses to leave South Florida, simply because her parents are here!! And I think it's horrible! I just hope that your marriage is strong enough to survive, because when the in-laws are in, you will have many more problems with him!! Just trust me please!! I know better. As far as the palm beach area, it can be nice...... But keep in consideration your poor husband.. Now try to convince my wife that her parents are not God!
And we should move out of here!!

Old 10-02-2006, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 12,426 times
Wow, milano, thanks for your impassioned response. But, I wasn't really looking for a commentary on the decision of moving, more for thoughts and insight on why people love the area. I'd appreciate hearing anything to that effect!

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2006, 12:29 PM

423 posts, read 1,635,977 times
Hello fla-bound:

I live in Delray Beach which is just north of Boca Raton and absolutely love it. Delray downtown is beautiful and has so much to offer. The beaches are beautiful yet not overly crowded with tourists. It is very central so easy to commute down south to Fort Lauderdale or go north to West Palm Beach and see how the 'other half' lives

Tons of housing options from multi million beachfront condos and private estates to below hundred thousand senior citizen condos. But you can still get a decent single family with 3+ bed from 300K - 500K price range. Just depends what you are looking for.... Please free to ask more questions or if you prefer feel free to PM me for specific info.

Old 10-03-2006, 04:58 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,071,212 times
It's a big difference from MD. The downtown is going through a rebuild and real estate has greatly increased. The burbs are fairly new, like most places in FL.

Old 10-11-2006, 10:41 AM

22 posts, read 85,857 times
the crime in wpb has increased dramatically. David copperfield was just held up at gunpoint after his show about a month ago. I grew up in wpb and now live in delray. Watching the evening news about that area is painful. My best friend was robbed at target about two months ago. I would seriously reconsider if I were you. Jupiter to the north is safer. good luck

Old 10-11-2006, 05:24 PM

713 posts, read 2,660,240 times
Default I totally agree w/Milano and ncbound...

One of the reasons we're selling our brand new home (was to be our dream home but in-laws and our jobs are taking us more S. FL unfort., where crime is a problem) is because of the in-laws living nearby. The other point was crime in S. FL. What a shame then again I don't wear bling, carry much money or drive a new car. There's nothing to steal.

Old 10-16-2006, 11:08 AM

156 posts, read 708,769 times
Default Wellington

We moved to Wellington two years ago, and absolutely love it! It's a great town for families and kids especially. It's extremely clean, safe, schools are great, and lots to do. Pools, parks, movies, festivals, etc. Weather is great, shopping and restaurants everywhere!

Old 10-21-2006, 01:53 AM

30 posts, read 428,876 times
hey fla-bound, what's wrong with fort lauderdale?

Old 10-21-2006, 04:41 AM

9,295 posts, read 14,184,455 times
By West Palm, it appears you mean West Palm Beach (WPB) the city and not Palm Beach County (PBC). As for WPB the city, it is nice really only along the coast: in this context, City Place is nice, offering a real downtown where one can walk, but way overpriced and, except for the high season, it sometimes resembles a ghost town. I have heard that many retailers are complaining, perhaps they will move out in a year or two if real estate prices don't come down by 30%-40%, allowing "real people" to move into the area.

As for Palm Beach County, I prefer the southern part, Delray Beach and Boca Raton. Yes, downtown Delray Beach is nice, a real downtown where you can walk around, though most of the restaurants are overpriced and the food overrated. In Boca, Plaza Real is almost a real piazza in the Mediterranean sense (WPB, Delray and Boca all feature many examples Spanish-Mediterranean architecture), also a pleasant place to walk around, enjoy coffee, a meal, or entertainment. Unlike the WPB area where it is only nice along the coast, most of Boca and Delray are nice. Meanwhile, between Delray and WPB, one has to know the local neighborhoods and be selective.
I am not too familiary with northwest PBC, but someone mentioned Wellington where I did pass through once and it seems nice, though really suburban, lacking any downtown pedestrian area compared to Delray Beach or Mizner Park on Boca (correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears the mega-sized Wellington mall serves as the local piazza, or town square).

Generally speaking, southern Florida offers non-cold climate (the humidity in the low season can be oppressive), beaches and related outdoor activities, multiculturism (implications for culinary variety, among other things), and fast access to Europe and Latin America, if one has international business interests and/or likes traveling. It also offers museums - for example, if one is interested in the Guilded Age period of US history, there is the Flagler museum in PBC and Vizcaya in Dade, among others - and increasingly the performing arts.
The nicest thing about Palm Beach County is that is offers a better quality of southern Florida life compared to Broward and Dade, mainly because it is less densely populated, but for how long? It is helpful if you know Spanish, and will be increasingly so, but not a necessity, for the moment, as in Dade or some parts of Broward (I am fluent in Spanish, so for me it's no problem, even a welcome development).

In short, the positives are well-known: warm weather (though oppressive humidity for some for at least six months of the year), great beaches and related activities, multiculturism, geographical position with implications for international business and travel, growing arts scene.

The negatives are well-known: overpriced housing and rising property taxes and insurance rates (hurricane related, cfr. oppressive humidity at least six months of the year), and, in general, a higher cost of living than in the past. In my estimate, a general 30%-40% decline in real estate prices is necessary to bring the cost of living back into line with fundamentals.
If the cost of living is not an issue, then, by all means, come to WPB or PBC. Better if you can afford to maintain two residences to escape the humidity in the low season if perceived as oppressive, also as a means for your husband to escape if he perceives his in-laws as oppressive.
To sum up, southern Florida, and PBC in particular, are great if at the same time one has other options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach