Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 05:43 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,496,843 times

Advertisements

We just discovered the movie theater there at the mall on valentines day, went to Carolina Alehouse and then Les Miserables. It was its last showing in the area thats how we ended up there.

Thats now my favorite theater within 30 miles of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 03:00 PM

98 posts, read 279,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnN View Post
I'm a NY transplant and have been living in West Boynton for almost 3 years. Have heard of more crime going on in Boca and Delray than Boynton. The west side is more gated communities and farmland, the east is older and has more commercial buildings. There is also a pretty big difference in income between the 2 sides, last time I checked the median income for EB was $40k and WB was $96k, you do the math.
Thank you AnnN. It's good to get someone from NY's view point.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I actually like boynton myself too, I work around that area dont live there. In general I have found the community nicer, more relaxed and less pretentious then boca delray. It is quite populated though. The boynton petsmart is a top 5 store sales wise in the country. Big business there.
Sounds like a great location for petsmart. I've heard already that it's a good area, but I definitely need to visit to see it myself. Thank you for your information.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
REpeating myself I'm sure, but I find Boynton fun, lively and lots of shopping. Excellent beach, good people and a great location. I love visiting dfs there.
Do you live in Boynton or just visits?

Old 02-21-2013, 04:01 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,155,085 times
I have been going there for years (family and friends live there). I don't live there now. Too far from work and I really liked the schools (huge factor for us, personally) where we are now.

Old 02-23-2013, 07:43 PM

355 posts, read 910,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 071402 View Post
I have been going there for years (family and friends live there). I don't live there now. Too far from work and I really liked the schools (huge factor for us, personally) where we are now.
Lived in Boynton Beach awhile ago when it started to go downhill. Shortly after we moved Haitian gang members opened fire in the mall on Christmas Eve.
Boynton Beach Mall Christmas Eve killer sentenced to 40 years in | www.palmbeachpost.com

I've not been to that mall since. I hope its cleaned up. I am not naive enough to believe gang activity stays over on the East side of Boynton and does not find its way West.

Middle & high schools we were zoned for (in a nice neighborhood).... "D" or "F" rated schools, no thanks.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:40 PM

55 posts, read 74,727 times
My parents live in BB, and I can't stand it. There is a huge 65+ population, and on the west side (where they live) the homes are one on top of the other. You go to their backyard and there is zero privacy. Can't wait until they move out!

Old 02-23-2013, 11:31 PM

229 posts, read 531,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
Lived in Boynton Beach awhile ago when it started to go downhill. Shortly after we moved Haitian gang members opened fire in the mall on Christmas Eve.
Boynton Beach Mall Christmas Eve killer sentenced to 40 years in | www.palmbeachpost.com

I've not been to that mall since. I hope its cleaned up. I am not naive enough to believe gang activity stays over on the East side of Boynton and does not find its way West.

Middle & high schools we were zoned for (in a nice neighborhood).... "D" or "F" rated schools, no thanks.
Are people seriously still paranoid over one incident that happened nearly seven years ago? The Boca Raton Mall had a murder, too. Does that make it dangerous there as well? You say that it went "downhill" yet the latest crime reports show that Boynton Beach's crime is at the lowest it has been in practically forever. There must be "gang activity" in Palm Beach Gardens as well due to its close proximity to Riviera Beach.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:09 AM

355 posts, read 910,394 times
Look, I am sure there are some people who LOVE Boynton Beach. The OP specifically was looking for experiences from people who lived there. It's not for everybody, urban sprawl, over-development and traffic certainly wasn't for my family. I'm sure he's not going to focus on any one person's opinion, but make an educated decision based on all the factors presented to him.

Crime may have gone down since we moved, but it is still above the national average. I am also not naive enough to not lock my doors or use situational awareness no matter where I live. I don't think anywhere is 100% safe. I do believe living near gang activity increases my chances that I will be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I would not compare what happened at the Town Center Mall (which was a even more terrifying crime) to a gang related shooting where gang activity is still active. I would not walk around alone in an isolated area at the Town Center Mall either.
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...h-Florida.html
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The towns directly adjacent to Riviera Beach DO have high crime rates. East Boynton Beach and West Boynton Beach are well....the same town! Sharing the same schools, the same shopping, roads, etc.

Operation Smoking Gun II which was a Palm Beach County gang crackdown. Most arrests were made in BB. Maybe that helped with the decrease in crime.
Nearly 100 Arrests In Palm Beach County Gang Crackdown « CBS Miami

Last edited by Yac; 02-27-2013 at 07:27 AM..

Old 02-24-2013, 11:47 AM

229 posts, read 531,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreco5 View Post
Look, I am sure there are some people who LOVE Boynton Beach. The OP specifically was looking for experiences from people who lived there. It's not for everybody, urban sprawl, over-development and traffic certainly wasn't for my family. I'm sure he's not going to focus on any one person's opinion, but make an educated decision based on all the factors presented to him.

Crime may have gone down since we moved, but it is still above the national average. I am also not naive enough to not lock my doors or use situational awareness no matter where I live. I don't think anywhere is 100% safe. I do believe living near gang activity increases my chances that I will be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I would not compare what happened at the Town Center Mall (which was a even more terrifying crime) to a gang related shooting where gang activity is still active. I would not walk around alone in an isolated area at the Town Center Mall either.
//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...h-Florida.html
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

The towns directly adjacent to Riviera Beach DO have high crime rates. East Boynton Beach and West Boynton Beach are well....the same town! Sharing the same schools, the same shopping, roads, etc.

Operation Smoking Gun II which was a Palm Beach County gang crackdown. Most arrests were made in BB. Maybe that helped with the decrease in crime.
Nearly 100 Arrests In Palm Beach County Gang Crackdown « CBS Miami
The communities west of I-95 are quiet and do not have "gangs" or "gang violence" (maybe some suburban wannabes!). Those so-called "gangs" you speak of are concentrated in east Boynton. The funny thing is that even east Boynton has great neighborhoods. The crime rates in Boynton Beach would be about average (actually, many communities would be below average) if you got rid of a few neighborhoods east of I-95. I looked at a crime map and the crime is pretty much all concentrated in one area. My friends live in West Boynton and it is a very nice area and there are no signs of gangs at all. It's a typical suburban development like in Jupiter, Boca Raton, etc. Whenever I visit I go with them to the Boynton Beach Mall and catch a movie and we never had to worry about "gangs" that live miles away.

The traffic in Boynton Beach is pretty much the same as any other developed area in Palm Beach County.

East Boynton and West Boynton do not all share the same schools. Many students in West Boynton are zoned to schools like Park Vista which are just as highly-rated as the schools in Boca Raton. Heck, I even know parents who send their kids to the "low rated" schools and they are doing just fine.

Last edited by Yac; 02-27-2013 at 07:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach