Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 06:23 AM

18 posts, read 66,745 times

Advertisements

We are coming to Fla over Spring Break to take a look at these areas and see which will fit our families needs best.
We have 3 children: 19 yr old daughter in College, soon to be 17 yr old son who is a Wrestler and Lacrosse player & 8 yr old son who loves everything....Schools are important to us. I am worried about my oldest son transitioning to a new High School his Senior yr.
We are not sure if we should rent or buy first. I am concerned about Renting first then moving to a different area/school district...thus moving my 8 yr old to a new school again.
My husband will be working at Miami Airport and is ok with a commute, as he does it now in Northern Va and is used to it, although I hear traffic is bad. He will work different shifts, so it may be worse on some days and fine on others. He retires in 4 yrs so it won't be forever. I am a Nurse and will look for work eventually when we are settled.
Any ideas on what to see to make our final decisions would be great. I was planning on visiting the schools, but they will be on Spring Break as well....so that won't work out
We would like a home with a pool in a family oriented community, close to shopping, restaurants etc...Thanks for your insight and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 06:55 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
My best advice is rent first we are glad we did....You cant tell by just visiting if an area is where you want to live...Weston, Parkland and Boca are totally different Areas and with different feels and different opinions...

Good Luck to you

Old 03-18-2013, 07:09 AM

Thanks for responding. What is your honest opinion of each area. Feel free to private message me if you like. I appreciate your input, as it is so difficult relocating so far away.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:40 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,187,851 times
I live in Weston and have friends that live in Boca and Parkland. I am happy living in Weston and my friends are happy in Boca (central, east and west) and Parkland. I do not have children but my neighbors who do are happy with the schools here.

My friends in Parkland have children that are now grown, but also were happy with the high school (Marjory Stoneman Douglas). My friends in Boca were happy with the schools -- one has a young child (east Boca) and as the child is older, will probably send to private. Overall, I think you can't go wrong with any of the three places -- all are considered cities that are home to mostly upper class/upper middle class people -- all are considered "safe" (by South Florida standards) -- all either have, or are close to, fine dining, shopping, parks and amenities. There are no "sketchy" areas in any of these cities, IMHO. All have that family-friendly vibe. All are home to hospitals/medical plazas/urgent care centers so you have job opportunities as a nurse in all 3.

Each city is criticized for the following -- Weston: some people do not like to hear spanish spoken a lot (Weston has attracted the well to do from South America, mostly Venezuela). Parkland: a bit off the beaten track, wedged between Boca and Coral Springs, but far to the west -- not a lot of industry in the city so homeowners contribute greatly to the tax base. Boca? For some reason, Boca gets a bit of a bad rap for a "keeping up with the Jones' mentality" but to be honest, all 3 cities are guilty of that -- there are mansions and high end developments in all of the cities and you are going to find a good level of conspicuous consumption in all 3. I had one client whose (adult) daughter was spending her into a river of debt and her comment to me was that her daughter lived in Boca and had to have the Boca lifestyle -- "it is the Boca way." But again, all of the 3 cities you mention are guilty -- I see it in Weston too (and Parkland). Flashy new cars, home improvements, doggy day care -- on and on.

Boca is larger (about 200,000), then Weston with 60000 people, then Parkland with 25000. Your husband will have a much better commute from Weston -- I had an assignment in Doral earlier this month and my commute took me about 40 to 45 minutes, and I left around an hour after morning rush hour. Parkland would add another 20 minutes or so (at least). Depending on what part of Boca, about another 10 to 30 minutes (at least). If your husband doesn't mind it for the next 4 or so years, then of course that is for you two to discuss. Hope this helps.

Old 03-18-2013, 09:01 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,373,429 times
My DH commuted to Doral for years and it was horrible from Central Boca we are in between the Turnpike and 95

Old 03-19-2013, 06:55 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
My DH commuted to Doral for years and it was horrible from Central Boca we are in between the Turnpike and 95
Brutal commute I agree.....even from South County...

Old 03-21-2013, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the great info, I really appreciate it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach