Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:25 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Plenty of thugs in Olympia as well......something the realtors forget to tell you!

What kills me with Olympia is the fake bridge arches on the entrances, under the bridge they painted a series of arches to make it look like some type of old world design. If that is the "curb appeal" then it makes me think the whole place is going to be McMansions loaded with foam columns and foam bands around the windows/doors (all fake cast stone)!
That there is...thugs, and 6 cars parked in the driveway, garage full of crap....cars parked on the street because the driveway is full. I can't stand the fake, cookie cutter communities that are in there and a few other places, have no character and people pay or paid too much for plenty of their homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 06:37 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideLA213 View Post
It's so interesting how one's perspective shapes things, I recently moved to Lake Worth from Los Angeles and I find people here and in WPB generally nice, cool, and down to earth. That said LA is the kingdom of self absorbed narcissism, so I'm used to the worst of that. I live just S of downtown near the intracoastal and I really like it, it's a walkable, bikeable old city with people more creative and openminded that what my experience with most of the rest of Florida is. Also really like the historic areas of West Palm, discovered the Art District in Boynton, there is tons of cool creative stuff around in PBC but like anywhere you have to find where it is. It's a cuture shock a bit from LA, but I expected that and roll with it. As for anyplace west of 95, I have no idea or interest really, to me that's just a suburban hell (like any city has) that I have zero interest in beyond running out to Target when need be. I agree with the above notion that you can't just lump a county of this size and variation into one. My one negative are the drivers, I never thought I'd see driving worse than SoCal but this is it, I swear to god half the people have no idea how to operate a car, in LA they'd total their cars within a week if they drove this badly...!
You just moved here...give it time..also hang around Boca and some of the more affluent areas......also suggest you go to Miami sometime if you haven't already for a real driving experience.

You may have missed "Season"? Well around October you will get a taste of it.....when it kicks in.

Now imagine seeing a gleaming white Lexus or Mercedes and in a Fran Drescher type of voice saying this

"Turn around Harry, you missed Flackowitz!, now we will miss the early bird specials!

Old 07-10-2013, 08:15 AM

23 posts, read 37,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
You just moved here...give it time..also hang around Boca and some of the more affluent areas......also suggest you go to Miami sometime if you haven't already for a real driving experience.

You may have missed "Season"? Well around October you will get a taste of it.....when it kicks in.

Now imagine seeing a gleaming white Lexus or Mercedes and in a Fran Drescher type of voice saying this

"Turn around Harry, you missed Flackowitz!, now we will miss the early bird specials!
LOL if and when I see that I'll be greatly amused. As for Boca, I have less than zero interest in it. I agree drivers in Miami are crazy (I've been there many times) but seem to at least half know what they're doing, not so for a lot in PBC. Try the traffic circle where Lake and Lucerne come together in LW for a bumper-car experience, and Dixie, people pull out into traffic without one glance. I think its the variations of speeds too, half the people are under the limit, half way over, not a safe setup. I'm getting the impression traffic laws are not enforced much. As for people, look, there are *******s everywhere, and oddballs and weirdos too, but by and large I find people here perfectly fine to really cool and friendly. The ones that don't seem that way I ignore and get on with my business.

Another area I discovered and really liked was Northwood in West Palm...

Old 06-28-2015, 08:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,632 times
I'm officially 79 and running like A hero!

Of course Sonny boy how's about that good ole golf! Then go on and play shuffle board. Then yell about how America is gone and how we Jews are always persecuted!

Your an idiot get a new job! Left that he'll hole of Rich old farts who steal everything **** palm beach! Thoes people are part of a demo that kills America! They are the worst in human sort!

Old 06-29-2015, 05:37 AM

536 posts, read 844,828 times
I agree with the advice to stay east of I-95 and the recommendations of Lake Worth, Delray Beach and parts of W Palm Beach.

I don't like the gated McMansions, either, or the accelerating destruction of Florida's incredible, lush, exuberant natural beauty.

But as a former Manhattan upper West Sider, I take mild exception to the idea that New Yorkers are the problem with PBC. More like rampant greed and overdevelopment. New Yorkers are used to living in diverse neighborhoods and have no special need to lock themselves into places with names like "The Enclave," "The Pinnacle," "Look at Me, I Have Money," etc.

Old 06-29-2015, 06:47 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,631,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicemore View Post
I agree with the advice to stay east of I-95 and the recommendations of Lake Worth, Delray Beach and parts of W Palm Beach.

I don't like the gated McMansions, either, or the accelerating destruction of Florida's incredible, lush, exuberant natural beauty.

But as a former Manhattan upper West Sider, I take mild exception to the idea that New Yorkers are the problem with PBC. More like rampant greed and overdevelopment. New Yorkers are used to living in diverse neighborhoods and have no special need to lock themselves into places with names like "The Enclave," "The Pinnacle," "Look at Me, I Have Money," etc.
I think you are talking about a certain segment of New Yorkers. As always, generalizing is a silly thing on both sides. It is true, however, that wealthy stock brokers and other well to do New Yorkers/Jerseyans etc. come to south Florida to buy their condos or 2nd large homes in PGA or Mirasol or many of the developments geared to the well-to-do crowd. This has been happening since Flagler started ruining, pardon, building up Florida. It is a historic fact - Florida had always been a playground for the rich North-easterners and that trend has continued to this day.

If you are looking for pristine, old Florida (cattle ranches, horses etc.) you will not find it in the 3 South FL counties of PBC, Broward or Miami-Dade although at least PBC, being so large, does have areas that are still sparsely populated and it is pretty catering to the horse crowd - there are quite a few equestrian communities and lots of trails and parks in PBC that cater to horses.

I am pretty sure many or most of your diverse New York neighborhood friends would not survive or thrive in Pahokee, Belle Glade, Okeechobee, Indiantown etc. etc. Not because these places are dangerous (they aren't) but because, you know, there is not much asphalt, Starbucks, night clubs and Shlotsky's, malls or hospitals . I am sure in due time all that will come though and we will have this same discussion about Pahokee in 20 years

Old 07-01-2015, 11:22 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,418,802 times
The very NE neighborhood of LW is like a wanna -be McMansion neighborhood without the McMansions.
South of downtown around Lakeside and Palm is cool. Some of the little houses on the letter streets O, M,L are just too adorable. Many adorable things here and there. I think you have to buy into the artist loft apartments downtown. One guy had an art gallery where bands played.
Also there's a kayak launch on the north side west side of the bridge in a spot called Snook Islands. They are doing a lot of environmental projects like reefs etc by Bryant Park.
Check out PBC erm site; they are doing some cool things.

It' hard to say if LW is liberal and granola-chewing. The politics her are very edgy right now. Some developers are pushing hard. The people who want to keep LW quaint and free of chains and generic buildings are being accused of trying to keep the city poor. Interesting times here.
Disregard the blogs put out by both sides.
If you read a book called The Swamp you'll see that The environmental and preservation movement was put into gear long ago by northeasterners concerned with the destruction of the pond Apple wetlands around Lake O. That was one of the early efforts.

Yes, a certain segment of NYers drive me insane too. Just remember who it was that sold out to them in the first place.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 07-01-2015 at 12:15 PM..

Old 07-08-2015, 07:43 AM

44 posts, read 60,152 times
If you like Tampa SoHo you would love Boca especially Mizner. In my time in Tampa I never saw so many fake people in my life. Folks in Soho/Hyde Park acted like they were South Beach..Almost everyone driving their $700/month BMW's while still living at home with mommy and daddy. All the clubs along Howard had **** DJ's playing fake music. Lately SoHo is losing its so called Hippness as all the folks I know that lived there is moving to Tampa's new Hip spot Seminole Heights. Fake people, fake atmosphere, fake entertainment. Sounds like Boca. Boca does have a few establishments that actually have live bands and real music. But the look at me, look at my car, look at my dog; I am so hip and cool and much better than you attitudes of Mizner area is similar to Tampa SoHo.

Old 07-11-2015, 04:44 PM

158 posts, read 216,613 times
Sounds like you want an artsy edgy place to live. PBC is not it. Try south beach.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:35 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,789,453 times
This thread is stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach