Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:54 AM

431 posts, read 1,668,957 times

Advertisements

Come on my Greek friends. Where are you guys? There must be 1 or 2 Greek entrepreneurs around?

We have lived in Jupiter for the past 4 years. Absolutely love it. No better place in FL to live. What gives with the complete lack of 24 hr. Greek diners though? Counter service, big booths, breakfast food all day, great big salads, dinner specials, fries and gravy, big bakery cases loaded with fresh baked cookies and cakes, etc. etc.

I occasionally enjoy the tiny little "foo foo" breakfast/lunch places around here, but what will it take for somebody to capitalize on building and running a real diner around here?

Quarterdeck on Indiantown just closed up. Lets go my Greek friends. Put one there! Trust me, you will clean up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 12:31 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
Come on my Greek friends. Where are you guys? There must be 1 or 2 Greek entrepreneurs around?

We have lived in Jupiter for the past 4 years. Absolutely love it. No better place in FL to live. What gives with the complete lack of 24 hr. Greek diners though? Counter service, big booths, breakfast food all day, great big salads, dinner specials, fries and gravy, big bakery cases loaded with fresh baked cookies and cakes, etc. etc.

I occasionally enjoy the tiny little "foo foo" breakfast/lunch places around here, but what will it take for somebody to capitalize on building and running a real diner around here?

Quarterdeck on Indiantown just closed up. Lets go my Greek friends. Put one there! Trust me, you will clean up.

Trufax. I cannot believe it!! And I"M GREEK (by marriage) LOL

Old 07-25-2013, 04:14 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post

A few things to consider:

1. Quarterdeck was huge (over 5K sq ft) so that would have extremely high expectations for a Greek diner (think capacity vs. turn over rate).
2. Quarterdeck couldn't make it as a sports bar/burger/seafood place which is probably one of the easiest market categories as far as appeal to general population
3. Quarterdeck is gutted right now and reopening as a medical office
4. Sonny's BBQ also closed (about 1-2 months ago, about 100 ft from Qdeck). If 2 casual locations that were too large (Sonny's was 6K sq ft) both go bust after years maybe a decade in business tells you there is a shortage of casual diners in that area.

Your diner idea needs to be in a place with more traffic than that area offers.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:21 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
I do not know of any real Greek Diners around South Florida, at least not like what exists in the Northeast. Too Jays is about as close as it gets.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:35 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,048,560 times
There's a few Greek restaurants I've been to when down there in South Florida. There two on Federal that is really good. One opened in Boca just 2 years ago and is near Glades Road on the car wash side, but before you get to the car wash. The other one is in Delray in the same shopping strip as that pancake place called "The Greek Bistro". There also is one on "The Avenue" too in Delray.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:49 PM

355 posts, read 913,384 times
I would be any any Greek diner every day. Have you tried the "Time to Eat" diner or something like that in Tequesta on US1 where the Lobster place used to be? I've not been there yet.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:41 AM

138 posts, read 244,082 times
Tikanis

Old 07-26-2013, 07:39 AM

95 posts, read 226,232 times
Olympic Diner in Palm City, my brother in law is greek (and lives in Chicago) and he gave it the thumbs up. The owner also has one in Jensen Beach and PSL (called Spiros).....Although none are close to Jupiter or open 24 hrs.....

Old 07-26-2013, 06:47 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
There's a few Greek restaurants I've been to when down there in South Florida. There two on Federal that is really good. One opened in Boca just 2 years ago and is near Glades Road on the car wash side, but before you get to the car wash. The other one is in Delray in the same shopping strip as that pancake place called "The Greek Bistro". There also is one on "The Avenue" too in Delray.
Greek Style Restaurants are quite plentiful here...the 24 HR Diners that most from the Northeast are accustomed to are not, I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of Florida being an interstate or a major thruway like what is evident in the Northeast, a lot of travelers and trucks that can support it.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:13 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
We had Greek diners all over Brooklyn and Staten Island miss them As a matter of fact our Favorite diner owner lives in the same town as us and funny to bump into him in another State..lol

There aren't any in Boca either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach