Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 10:32 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,656,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightfapper View Post
wpb hands down. south florida completely blows texas out of the water in every single regard.

have you seen the galveston shore? the water is so filthy, it literally looks like chocolate milk. nastiest place i've ever visited in my life. texas also has absolutely zero nightlife, the people are really uptight/boring, people are insanely racist, bible thumpers abound, etc.

s. florida is beautiful weather (not 115+ like houston), beautiful people, seconds to the water and millions of things to do. plus everything's waaaaaaay more pretty, the skyline isn't polluted and chock-full of refineries. plus you don't have to drive 45 minutes to get anything done.

texas isn't even remotely in the same league. that entire state sucks ass. don't even think about this one, just do it.
I'm going to echo much of the same sentiment.

Most of Houston is absolutely disgusting compared to Palm Beach County. Even the worst areas of PBC seem nicer than the best parts of Houston, which is easily the filthiest city in the U.S. It's terribly polluted with tons of litter and graffiti everywhere, awful smog, potholes galore, etc.

The beach in Galveston is filthy, especially the water, which is a dark brownish color. Also, Galveston--the closest/most convenient beach to Houston--isn't really that accessible or close--if you will--to most of Greater Houston. For example, some parts of the metro are nearly two hours away from the beach, which IMO, defeats the purpose of moving to Houston to lead a "beach life." FWIW, I don't know of anyone that's ever moved to Houston with the intention of leading a "beach life," especially compared to South Florida.

Not only are beaches more plentiful, beautiful, and accessible in PBC than in Houston, they're also warmer, as South Florida is much warmer than Houston in the wintertime (i.e., Nov-Mar), so you'll be able to go to the beach and even swim year-round. After, say, mid-October, beaches and swimming pools will be virtually unusable in Houston whereas that never happens in South Florida, save, perhaps, a few weeks in the dead of winter (i.e., Jan/early Feb).

In addition to warmer winters, South Florida also has cooler summers. The heat is much less intense in South Florida in the summertime than in Houston, which is where Southeastern humidity meets Southwestern heat--not a healthy mix, if you ask me. South Florida is cloudier and rainier than Houston in the summertime, so you have more "breaks" from the heat, so to speak.

Although the people in South Florida are by no means gems (i.e., rude, pushy, angry, shady, etc.), I still think people in PBC are easier to live around than people in Houston, especially if you're from the Northeast, Upper Midwest, or West Coast. There are lots of bible thumpers, covert racists, and "Bubba" types in the Houston area. Although I don't mind guns and hunting, it seems as though my interests aligned much better with people in South Florida than people in Houston.

If you're non-religious, then forget Houston. As I said earlier, tons of Bible thumpers, churches on every corner, etc. It just has a pervasive Evangelical vibe in general because it's truly a Southern city.

In addition to smog, the traffic in Houston rivals that of Los Angeles. OTOH, traffic is really a non-issue in PBC. The proximity to driveable and flyable world-class destinations in PBC is much better than in Houston, IMO (e.g., Miami-1 hr., Orlando-3 hrs., DC-2.5 hrs., NYC-3 hrs.), although air service is much better overall in Houston.

Lastly, road quality in Florida is highly superior to road quality in Houston, whose roads have tons of potholes and cracks, fewer lanes overall, less emphasis on right-hand turning lanes, smaller shoulders, fewer medians, etc. Also, roads and freeways in Houston are paved with concrete compared to asphalt in Florida, so they tend to be noisier, bumpier, and more unsightly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 09:56 AM

9 posts, read 16,146 times
Neither Florida or Texas have a state income tax. Housing and insurance is cheaper in Texas. I think the weather overall is better in WPB than Houston (Houston has cooler winters and is very humid in the summer). Both are nice places to live, but I think WPB is better for beaches, weather and things to do (although Houston has many nice restaurants).

Old 03-29-2014, 12:16 PM

72 posts, read 123,441 times
Houston has a world-class economy and if you work in the energy industry then you will have many opportunities for employment in Houston.

Houston and South Florida both have horrible gridlock traffic along the major thoroughfares.

I love Texas and Austin would another city that I would recommend because of it's tech industry. Austin also features world-class entertainment centered around its live music industry. But, Austin traffic is some of the worst in the country.

Don't listen to these bozos making comments about how 'backward' or 'racist' Texas is. That's crazy talk. Texas is filled with a lot of great people who value family and who would help you in a heartbeat if you ever need assistance.

I'm about to move from Alabama (my native state) to Boca Raton in a few days and I'm very much looking forward to living in Palm Beach County. But, I would also consider living in Texas if the right opportunity ever presented itself.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:28 PM

224 posts, read 321,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan1998 View Post

Don't listen to these bozos making comments about how 'backward' or 'racist' Texas is. That's crazy talk. Texas is filled with a lot of great people who value family and who would help you in a heartbeat if you ever need assistance.
lmfao!

texas is one of the most racist places on the planet, hands down.

i spent seven months there for business, mostly in houston and the metroplex.

one of the first things i noticed was how blacks were terrified of me. like, it wasn't a respect thing, it was more of a "oh ****, i'm gonna get george zimmerman'ed if i upset this man". i'd witness a ton of discrimination on a near daily basis, minorities were really treated poorly and pretty much had to take the abuse.

i saw one openly gay person there the entire time, a starbucks barista in waco.

the difference between los angeles, new york, etc. and anything in texas is night and day.

i'll never forget when i left that nightmare for miami, i stopped in a publix in jupiter and my jaw was on the floor... some white guy was chit-chatting with a black cashier, just carrying on like nothing. there was nobody else in line and they were having a conversation, for the fun of it. you would never, in a million years, see that in texas.

it was like i arrived on a different planet. everyone was asking me why i had the world's largest smile permanently plastered on my face. i'd tell them "i spent the past seven months in texas, finally, i'm back in civilization!".

that place is only good if you're white, christian, drive a diesel pickup truck, are a southerner, etc. extra points if you have a double-wide trailer and/or your family tree resembles a wreath.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:10 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Florida is warm and sunny all the time........

Mock interview of someone who wants to move to Florida. - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach