Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 01:54 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times

Advertisements

Should I get a apartment in Boca, Delray Beach, or Ft. Lauderdale? Anyone know where most students live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 08:49 AM

3 posts, read 3,463 times
Where did you decide? I'm in the same boat as you now!

Old 06-16-2014, 03:03 PM

72 posts, read 226,851 times
My wife graduated from FAU, and I remember she always had to check to make sure the classes she wanted was at the Boca campus. FAU has a Jupiter, Boca, Ft. Lauderdale, and Davie campus, so make sure and check where most of your classes will be. I remember Boca has the majority of them, but I would check your major. FAU students seem to be very spread out, residing all over Palm Beach and Broward County. I honestly don't know if there is an area that a lot of students live at off campus, but I would imagine if there was it would be around the Boca campus as that is the largest. Maybe call the school and see if they have any suggestions. At UF I lived on campus the first semester to figure out the area, then moved off campus. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Been out of college for awhile

Old 06-19-2014, 12:03 PM

536 posts, read 844,460 times
Just beyond the 20th St entrance to the FAU campus (not the main entrance, kind of the back way, near the President's house), there is 2nd Avenue. Along there are numerous rentals where FAU students live. This is about 1/2 mile to the science side of campus. There are condos and rental apartments. It's not fancy, but some of the apts are very affordable.
I would say there are at least 10 apartment complexes in that area. The neighborhood is not the very best in Boca but so far as I know it is safe.

If you have a car, there are a number of rentals about 5 miles from campus along Powerline Road and Palmetto Park Road--these are more upscale and expensive, but the traffic along Glades Road is really bad, esp. during the season.

Ft Lauderdale is a terrific choice if you will be taking your classes at the Davie campus; it's a bad commute many days up I 95 to Boca.

For your first year it might be best to rent in Boca near the campus, if you are doing your classes on that campus.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:02 PM

536 posts, read 844,460 times
I guess it is too late to edit my earlier post, which has a typo in it. It's 4th Avenue and 20th St, not 2nd Ave. The first right after you leave the campus. There is (from memory--my gym used to be on 20th st) Boca Woods, Bouganvilla, the Bicycle club, Cynthia Gardens (which a cynical friend calls "Grey Gardens") but Cynthia Gardens has been around forever, one bedroom apts only and inexpensive. I considered it once when on an economy kick but rented in Town Harbor townhouses and also Boca Arbor Club, both near Powerline and Palmetto--but the ride was a bit irritating, even though only a few miles from campus.

Get as close as you can until you know the traffic patterns. I wish I had when I first moved down here.

People here know I am not a fan of Delray Beach but many FAU teachers live there--I don't think that many students do.

EDITED TO ADD: Just checked Boca Arbor Club on Google, where I lived very happily before I bought my house some years ago--apparently it is now infested by _rats_. My goodness. So that area of condos along Powerline are perhaps not aging all that well. They are 20 yrs old and more.

I also didn't mention renting a house--which might be the best bet of all. Rental (esp. if you have pets) is expensive in Boca but at least in a house one has more privacy. I was driven to buy a house because (coming from Manhattan) for a long time I believed there must be good rentals in Fl. Not so much, in terms of noise especially (through the walls and up through the floors).

Renting is renting, but at least in a house there are no shared walls. A condo is a possibility also. You might want to look using a rental realty agent.

Last edited by ladyalicemore; 06-19-2014 at 05:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach