Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2007, 08:17 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,551,574 times

Advertisements

Would love to relocate to Florida, even after my friends that live down there say DO NOT!

One lives in Sunny Isles (Miami Beach) and one lives in Manalapan (Palm Beach). They both say stay in Charlotte and just visit several times a year.

What is your opinion of Delray Beach. I heard that it is kinda a neat little funky artsy beach town...especially near E. Atlantic Ave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 10:43 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Would love to relocate to Florida, even after my friends that live down there say DO NOT!

One lives in Sunny Isles (Miami Beach) and one lives in Manalapan (Palm Beach). They both say stay in Charlotte and just visit several times a year.

What is your opinion of Delray Beach. I heard that it is kinda a neat little funky artsy beach town...especially near E. Atlantic Ave?
Much of Florida is stooping over now under the weight of overpriced real estate and overblown property taxes and homeowners insurance rates, that's probably why your friends say do not come.

It really depends on your financial situation. With adequate levels of income and wealth, you can enjoy some of the best quality of life that the tropical US has to offer.

I think downtown Delray Beach is a bit overrated and some restaurants and shops have closed in the past two years, under the weight of the burdens described above. Nevertheless, it is probably one of the best "downtowns" in southeastern Florida and, coupled with Mizner Park in nearby Boca Raton, you have a couple of nice neighborhoods to stroll through and do some shopping and dining (City Place in West Palm Beach shares some of these charactertistics, though I can't talk about northern Palm Beach County, maybe Jupiter).

Chances are, however, that if you have to rely on the local economy for your income, you will not be able to enjoy the best that the region has to offer. But each one measures himself, so it may be worthwhile investigating more deeply to see where you fit in.

If you care to, you could provide more details on your situation and we can provide, in turn, more incisive information.

Either way, good luck!

Last edited by bale002; 12-17-2007 at 10:52 AM..

Old 12-17-2007, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 8,076 times
Quote:

I think that your friends in Sunny Isles and Manalapan got some screws loose. Those are two top-flight beachfront areas (geez esp. Manalapan!) that smoke anywhere in Charlotte. Delray along A1A is fantastic but pricey. I've never noted it being artsyfartsy though, that's more South Beach.

Old 12-17-2007, 01:18 PM

Charlotte has many many multi-million dollar lakefront homes. Don't think Charlotte is a bad place. It is the 2nd largest banking city in the US only behind NY, so there is a tremendous amount of wealth here. Also may million dollar condo's Uptown as well.

My best friend in Manalapan is from Charlotte and she misses the seasons. She lives on A1A and has a beautiful ocean view.

I am not concerned about the prices, but so so many Floridians on these sites HATE Florida. Maybe keep a place up here and buy one in Florida too.

Maybe even rent for 6 months to see how we like it.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Old 12-17-2007, 02:26 PM

423 posts, read 1,642,667 times
Delray is beautiful and your friend is right about the character it has...including several art festivals that are organized every year. Considering the price points of Manalapan and other beach front towns, Delray is actually cheaper! Plus it is very central so one can easily drive up to Palm Beach or down to Fort Lauderdale for fun, work, friends or whatever it may be. The best option would probably be to fly down for a few days and get a first hand feel for the area.

Feel free to IM me if you have any ? and I can try to help.

Old 12-17-2007, 02:53 PM

rkumar3 THANKS!

I will be down there in 99 days (but who is counting?)!

I will be staying with by best friend & her family in Manalapan. She sugggested Delray Beach. I am not a Boca person or a Palm Beach person. More laid back!

Also gonna check out Sunny Isles (Miami Beach) too!

Are property taxes higher in Dade, Broward or Palm Beach County?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:01 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:

Based on your posts in a variety of rooms, I feel certain that you will be bored in Delray.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:35 AM

423 posts, read 1,642,667 times
Property taxes vary a lot based on the city/school district and many other factors, so it is better to look at them in terms of city (even neighbourhood) rather than the county. For calculations sake, I usually tell my clients to figure 2% of the property value as the annual tax. You can also play with county appraiser's website to get an idea of the taxes. Here are the links for the three of them:

Broward: http://bcpa.net/
Palm Beach: http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/papa/index.htm
Dade: http://www.miamidade.gov/pa/

Old 03-07-2008, 07:24 AM

6 posts, read 12,130 times
Arrow Delray Art Scene

Quote:
rkumar3 THANKS!

I will be down there in 99 days (but who is counting?)!

I will be staying with by best friend & her family in Manalapan. She sugggested Delray Beach. I am not a Boca person or a Palm Beach person. More laid back!

Also gonna check out Sunny Isles (Miami Beach) too!

Are property taxes higher in Dade, Broward or Palm Beach County?
Re. Delray's art scene, it is not exactly funky artsy nor is it full-bloom artsyfartsy either. There are threads of each, but all in all the people here are friendly and inclusive irrespective of background. There are always people who define their interactions with others around superficial criteria but this is a part of life.

Delray Beach truly has all the attributes of an All-American City; a lovely and vibrant downtown, beautiful scenery, attractive neighborhoods, incredible weather and, friendly, warm people. To the extent that we fall short of All-American status, it is in areas that bedevil many U.S. communities; race, ethnicity and class.

Come on down and dive in and help make it an even better place with your energy, hope and inclusive world view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach