Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:46 AM

55 posts, read 114,186 times

Advertisements

My family is going down to West Palm Beach this Christmas and we were wondering what would be some good things to do while we were there. We are open to pretty much anything as long as it isn't to expensive. There are four people one parent and three teenagers. Any ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 08:48 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Are you nature lovers? I wont post a list of places if that's not your thing.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:52 AM

55 posts, read 114,186 times
I wouldn't mind maybe taking a trip to the everglades. I heard it is better to go to the everglades in the winter so we might stop there. where would be the best place to go?

Old 10-29-2014, 11:22 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,844,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobgc View Post
I wouldn't mind maybe taking a trip to the everglades. I heard it is better to go to the everglades in the winter so we might stop there. where would be the best place to go?
One of my bucket list things is to kayak the Everglades waterway, there is a system of chikees set up so people can overnight with their kayak safely (well, nothing is safe from pythons - the place is crawling with them now - stupid people managed to ruin that beautiful spot too).

Make sure you see the Morikami Japanese gardens. As for going out - Cityplace, Downtown at the Gardens,nearby Midtown at the Gardens etc. if you are into the posh stuff. There are also a lot of lesser known places around that are as good or better (imho) - ask for specific cuisines (e.g. if you like Italian maybe Carmines, if you like sushi there are a few decent joints, so on and so on). People routinely recommend Guanabanas and Square Grouper, I personally did not care for the former, the latter is OK, depending how old you are, what your scene is and who is with you.

What do you like to do? It really depends on what your and your family's interests are.

Old 11-01-2014, 08:09 PM

981 posts, read 899,886 times
rent a couple of paddleboards....could get two for about $70 for a few hours and you could all take turns (paddleboarding for two hours straight isnt easy so it would easily work for two people at a time). you could head down to delray beach ( about twenty min drive from wpb) and there is a rental place right on the beach...there is also a quaint'ish old style florida downtown in walking distance from the beach that is nice if you wanted to grab some lunch. pizza rustica which has a good pizza actually delivers at the beach.

also if you play (or wanted to try) golf, check out the palm beach par 3 golf course on the a1a. they have a smalll driving range so even hitting balls is inexpensive and fun. really beautiful small public course right on the beach. there is also a cool looking bowling alley at city place in wpb.

and for some palm beach history, check out the flagler museum. at a minimum, definitely drive over to "the island" and in particular, worth avenue, on a saturday afternoon to see the rich and famous in their convertible rolls royces.

for some nature, the loxahatchee state park is supposed to be great for bird and gator watching.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:07 AM

75 posts, read 57,869 times
The teenagers will love this place. Boomers Boca Raton - Attractions

Old 11-02-2014, 09:37 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,420,150 times
Loxahatchee ARM refuge as klaucka mentioned is fun. One of the last cypress stands around here. The visitor center has a virtual airboat ride and a night in the swamp exhibit that's fun.
Wakodatchee Wetlands on Jog Rd in Delray and Green Cay Wetlands on Hagen Ranch are considered "musts" for nature lovers Green Cay has a visitor center where the kids can see baby gators and I believe Hooty the owl is still there.
Loggerhead on A1A up in Jupiter for sea turtles.
Jonathan Dickenson State Park Jupiter has tour boats down the Loxahatchee River.
Mc ArthurBeach State Park in Jupiter has kayaking along with tons of other activities and is an incredible place
Lion Country Safari has the driving tiurbut also has zoo and amusement park.

Just fyi, Loxahatchee ARM is considered the northern 'Glades but it consists of impoundments so you don't get the sense of the vastness of the 'Glades that you would get down in Shark Valley etc.

Grassy Waters Preserve has atrail system with sections where youcan get a bettersense of it. That is in West Palm .The Apoxee park trail is where I go when I need a quick 'Glades fix lol.

Seeing gators anywhere is a matter of luck.

You are more likely to see more wildlife with less effort at Green Cay and Wako than at Lox.

There is nothing like a real airboat ride. The problem is some of the operators do ridiculous illegal and unethical things like feeding the wild gators.

Last edited by ByeByeLW; 11-02-2014 at 09:48 AM..

Old 11-09-2014, 10:13 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordyLordy View Post
One of my bucket list things is to kayak the Everglades waterway, there is a system of chikees set up so people can overnight with their kayak safely (well, nothing is safe from pythons - the place is crawling with them now - stupid people managed to ruin that beautiful spot too).
You do realize they conducted a python hunt and 1600 people went out to catch them.........they caught 68. Moral of the story is the Everglades isn't crawling with them.

Shelved Sequel: Florida Won't Hold Amateur Python Hunt in 2014 | TakePart

Old 11-09-2014, 10:14 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent23 View Post
The teenagers will love this place. Boomers Boca Raton - Attractions
That place will be considered "lame" by most teenagers

Old 11-09-2014, 01:00 PM

981 posts, read 899,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Loxahatchee ARM refuge as klaucka mentioned is fun. One of the last cypress stands around here. The visitor center has a virtual airboat ride and a night in the swamp exhibit that's fun.
Wakodatchee Wetlands on Jog Rd in Delray and Green Cay Wetlands on Hagen Ranch are considered "musts" for nature lovers Green Cay has a visitor center where the kids can see baby gators and I believe Hooty the owl is still there.
Loggerhead on A1A up in Jupiter for sea turtles.
Jonathan Dickenson State Park Jupiter has tour boats down the Loxahatchee River.
Mc ArthurBeach State Park in Jupiter has kayaking along with tons of other activities and is an incredible place
Lion Country Safari has the driving tiurbut also has zoo and amusement park.

Just fyi, Loxahatchee ARM is considered the northern 'Glades but it consists of impoundments so you don't get the sense of the vastness of the 'Glades that you would get down in Shark Valley etc.

Grassy Waters Preserve has atrail system with sections where youcan get a bettersense of it. That is in West Palm .The Apoxee park trail is where I go when I need a quick 'Glades fix lol.

Seeing gators anywhere is a matter of luck.

You are more likely to see more wildlife with less effort at Green Cay and Wako than at Lox.

There is nothing like a real airboat ride. The problem is some of the operators do ridiculous illegal and unethical things like feeding the wild gators.
byebye, thx so much for the great suggestions. FINALLY getting some time off at the end of the year and plan on hitting all of these on your list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach