Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2014, 06:42 PM

536 posts, read 844,941 times

Advertisements

When I moved to Florida from Manhattan, I couldn't drive. I bought my first car and first used it down here. No one should move to S Florida without a car; some driving will be necessary, and the climate is too unforgiving for walking, in my opinion. On the other hand, I love my job.

But there were some bad surprises when I first came: promises that were not kept. So do get everything in writing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 06:39 AM

102 posts, read 150,713 times
I live in Boynton off of Gateway Blvd. I have a car, but here's what's walkable. There's a bus stop .25 miles away, two fairly large shopping centers (Publix, restaurants, etc.) each .5 miles away to the East & West, and the Tri-Rail is about .75 miles away. If you are farther West in Boynton I wouldn't say it's walkable, but where I'm at it's possible.

I agree with what's said above. I love the heat, but that doesn't mean I don't sweat. I don't want to walk in the heat to an office job, but that's just me. Some people are more adjusted to it than I am and are fine with it.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:00 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
Received a job offer and a second interview in Lake Worth and West Palm Beach. Coming from Philadelphia where I have lived car-free. Can you get by reasonably comfortable in West Palm or the surrounding areas without a car-using transit or biking?
Where in Lake Worth or West Palm Beach is the office located?

If you work in downtown West Palm, then yes, you can live without a car. Downtown continues to improve and increase its offerings. Everything you need for daily life is there: supermarkets, pharmacy, clothing stores, movies, restaurants, bars, entertainment. Tri-Rail station is nearby, and in a year or so the eastern tracks will have All Aboard Florida (which is also the first step to get passenger rail on the eastern tracks).

They also have a car share program for when you absolutely need to leave downtown, and a bike share is in the works. Not to mention the downtown trolley.

I live about a mile south of downtown and manage to keep a large share of my errands and entertainment east of 95, and close to home. Unfortunately I have to drive to and for work.

Delray Beach has something similar.

Old 11-04-2014, 10:53 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
someone promises you one thing, and then backs out is a probable scenario in FL?

Extremely common

Old 12-01-2014, 02:29 PM

7 posts, read 13,081 times
Default car or not

I lived and worked for two years in West Palm Beach. It was challenging at time, I rode my Bicycle everywhere and got around OK

Old 12-02-2014, 02:18 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
received a job offer and a second interview in lake worth and west palm beach. Coming from philadelphia where i have lived car-free. Can you get by reasonably comfortable in west palm or the surrounding areas without a car-using transit or biking?
100% yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach