Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 12:37 AM

15 posts, read 40,160 times

Advertisements

When I visit West Palm Beach, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, Lake Worth area, I'm curious that I don't see more people riding motorscooters/mopeds locally, like from their home to a store or the beach? Is it unsafe because of the cars/drivers?

It's part of my fantasy of moving to a summer all year round climate, to buy a motorscooter or moped, besides my car and my bicycle.

Thanks, Etana
Retiring in 3 weeks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 08:55 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
I see them, but not as often as motorcycles. I also see people riding them on 441, which should be outlawed since they cannot get above 30mph if that and cause traffic back-ups and accident prone situations.

If you within the city limits where traffic is slower and the streets are tight, it would be more safe but in general any two wheeled method of transportation that involves driving on the roads here...comes with a high risk. The drivers here are horrible and driving is not a pleasure at all.

Old 12-07-2014, 12:56 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
You'll see more of them the further east you go, typically, where living and commerce is closer and the speed limits slower -- but yeah, I would be wary riding one on any major road

Old 12-07-2014, 01:01 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etana View Post
When I visit West Palm Beach, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach, Lake Worth area, I'm curious that I don't see more people riding motorscooters/mopeds locally, like from their home to a store or the beach? Is it unsafe because of the cars/drivers?

It's part of my fantasy of moving to a summer all year round climate, to buy a motorscooter or moped, besides my car and my bicycle.

Thanks, Etana
Retiring in 3 weeks
You can manage (a 50/'moped') by staying on A1A, but going off of that is not a good move especially if you've never ridden before. I would treat those little 50's like bicycles. Anywhere you would not go on bicycle, you don't want to go on 50/'moped'. I think you would want to move up to a 250/400cc scooter to ride S.FL safely. The car traffic is angry and unforgiving. A 50 in traffic is setting yourself up for some undesirable situations.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:33 PM
ZTM

57 posts, read 94,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
The car traffic is angry and unforgiving.
EXACTLY............. and that's what makes this such a miserable place to live.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZTM View Post
EXACTLY............. and that's what makes this such a miserable place to live.
Riding a scooter in PB County would indeed be miserable and extremely dangerous, especially in the summer.

I do find myself less and less each day enjoying my commute to and from work or around PBC and I ride my motorcycles in the winter months mostly. I do not even ride too much since I had too many close calls, will so more when I move out of here.

Old 12-09-2014, 08:20 AM

Mod edit

Traffic is bad here, but not as bad as other parts of the US and try driving in Rome sometime...where many ride scooters.

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 12-10-2014 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: Quoted post has been removed

Old 12-11-2014, 06:46 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
I have two Suzuki FA-50 mopeds. They are fun to drive, but I think they are more dangerous than a bike or a motorcycle. Mine is what I consider a real moped, not the scooters that can hit faster speeds. Mine technically tops off at 25MPH.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:13 PM

154 posts, read 388,739 times
unless you have a death wish! bikes, cycles, scooters are suicidal I ride my bike at late night in gated areas on the intercostal and all I have to worry about is getting rolled over maybe by one guy with two too many Mojitos after dinner in his benz, roads are narrow every one is texting and driving way too fast so a two wheel thing on the road is just not a good idea

Old 01-13-2015, 01:29 PM

232 posts, read 773,542 times
Depends on where you live. In Jupiter, the ocean road would be nice. But then why not have a bike. But most other roads like US1, A1A, Military - forget about it. To get around in S Florida, you have to take a main road. Very difficult to 'back road' your way around. Also - the summer brings those unexpected 10 minute downpours. Would not be fun being caught in one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach