Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:06 PM

11 posts, read 22,706 times

Advertisements

Thank you Jodi that is exactly what I was thinking about the private schools. I don't know anything about charter schools I will look into it though. My in laws are in Boynton so we want to be close to them. I have considered Wellington, Parkland and Boca. I really like the look of the new Bridges in Del Ray/West Boca but have been reading some less positive things about the high school. We are planning a trip in August to look at homes and schools. Hopefully that will make this potential move a little less overwhelming .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 08:34 PM

13 posts, read 35,065 times
I am not an expert on the schools here, but maybe this will help. Most of the high schools have academies that revolve around various interests ie medicine, law, tech, performing arts etc. There are also gifted programs and specialized schools.
If you live in Palm Beach County - You can live anywhere in Palm Beach County and try for any of these programs. People that live in an area where they don't want to use the local school use these programs to go to a higher rated high school.

I decided that before I make a 30,000 per year commitment to private school that a "good enough" public school is worth a shot. It might seems counter intuitive but a huge diverse school, actually gives your son a better shot of finding kids he likes than a smaller school. If your son is a strong student, put him in gifted and advanced classes and he will have a great chance of finding friends. I moved from a highly rated district in NY and while the education and school size is not the same, There are more options here and I am pleased with her high school.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:18 AM

11 posts, read 22,706 times
Thank you for your sharing your experience Jodi. Unfortunately the gifted and specialized programs won't work for us. My son is a great kid but very average in school. Hopefully our trip in august to look at homes and schools will help. We are coming from Long Island and his high school is big and I don't love it but at least I know he will not eat alone in the cafeteria. We lived in California for a few years when my oldest was 13 and he never adjusted which is why I am worried about finding a good fit for my youngest.

Old 08-01-2015, 12:12 PM

500 posts, read 748,175 times
Keep in mind you may be pressed for time when you get here in August. School in Palm Beach County starts August 17th, rather than after Labor Day as is common up north. Good luck on your search.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:25 AM

4 posts, read 8,516 times
Compared to what 700k will get you in NYC, you will be happy regardless of where you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach