Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:59 PM

32 posts, read 181,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.W. POOLE View Post
We use to love to come to Belle Glade in the winter months. We stayed at the rv park on the lake. Somewhere along the way, people from town started coming to the park in the night and stilling from us. WHY? This could be a gated campground. Campers would be glad to help watch and maintain
a guarded gate. This is called (WORKAMPERS) They along w/ myself will work X, #### of hours per week for full hookups.
Let us help you.
I also herd that the city of belle glade no longer has a police dept. is this true or not?
concerned missourian:
Well good news and bad news.

Sadly the city government has been very slow to repair the camp ground after the hurricanes. The camp ground is open but not as nice as it once was. Also the lake level is still very low, so getting your boat in and out of the lake will be more difficult.

The city no longer has it's own police force. The city has contracted with the Palm Beach County Sheriffs Dept. It's a nice improvement in many ways. The sheriffs department has more money to train and pay patrolmen.

So while the city government has let the camp ground go down hill at least general security, crime prevention, etc. in the city is better.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:15 PM

2 posts, read 10,486 times
Default One thing No one mentioned

These views of the area are not inaccurate, but there is one thing no one has mentioned. Sugar Mills. There's a lot of them around Clewiston, Belle Glade, etc. and they give off quite a stink. Kind of a cross between pig manure, rotting meat, and sulfur. You don't want to live near a sugar mill.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 7,114 times
Default Ignorance...

I just happened to come across this website, and I could not stop laughing at all of the comments about Belle Glade.

First off, let me tell you that I am a 22 year old college graduate who has lived in Belle Glade my whole life. The majority of these comments posted about Belle Glade are absolutely absurd and highly ignorant. The majority of these comments I bet are made by people who have spent no time in this area.

One member made a comment saying, “people are living in run down squalor, and very few would live there if they didn’t have to”. Just like in any city there are run down areas of Belle Glade, and it being such a small town this area sticks out more than it would in a large city. My family and I, along with all of my friends, choose to live in Belle Glade! I do not have to deal with a lot of crap that I would have to put up with on the coast (West Palm).

I think the funniest comment was, “people are living without electricity and indoor plumbing”. HAHA! This is absolutely untrue and ignorant. I do not know a single house or “run down squalor” without electricity or indoor plumbing. We also have these really cool things called automobiles! Have you heard of those?!?!

Someone also complained about the smell from the sugar mill. If someone complained about that to a resident of Belle Glade they would look at you like you were crazy. Living here you don’t even notice it, and the only people who complain are stuck up people from the coast. If the smell is that bad please do not drive out to Belle Glade to use our airport and golf course because it is cheaper than playing in West Palm Beach!

Bottom line is Belle Glade is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. If you spent any time here you would be surprised at the closeness of the community. You will not find any nicer people. A lot nicer than on the coast! You can always find someone to help you out if you need it. You could not pay me or anyone I know to go and live in Miami. This is a community where everyone knows everyone and if it is not good enough for people to come and visit than don’t. Believe me, we don’t mind.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:06 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=526%20...=1&sa=N&tab=wl

I have been there in that exact spot. Street view it if anyone hasn't. I'm sure there are a few parts that don't have that kind of squalor but most of it seemed to. Being poor does not make you a bad person, so don't get the impression I am taking a stab at the PEOPLE of the town.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:01 PM

5 posts, read 19,099 times
What do you think about professional arena football, community center, and an arena being built in the Tri-City area (Belle Glade, Pahokee, South Bay)?

Please visit the website

http://www.bellegladefootball.net

Old 10-19-2008, 10:55 AM

Location: Palm Beach County. Where people get murked by the grocery store.
164 posts, read 793,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
It's way worse than Miami's slums. That is literally like a third world country out there. They actually have people without electricity or indoor plumbing in Belle Glade. Even in Liberty City almost everyone has indoor plumbing and most have electricity.
i know people in lake worth with no electricity, and running water. thats not rare.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:05 PM

207 posts, read 940,257 times
Hell Glade. If was worth a damn, people would be investing and moving there.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:04 AM

7 posts, read 33,379 times
While many people refer to Belle Glade scenery as a third world country, many times I personally think it is overly exaggerated. I admit it is struggling financially and the poverty level is not so great. There are even run down apartments like in any other town. Let's figure out how we can give it a makeover and move from there. Overall I think we are doing a lot better than people are led to believe. All we need out here in the Glades Area is for people to invest more in our community and to provide opportunities for the adults as well as the children to thrive successfully. As the old saying goes "People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care. If prominent people are aware of our circumstances, then they need to offer some type of assistance to provide better opportunities. We don't need pity, all we need is an open door and we can work hard as a community to take advantage of the resources that can be available to us. I love being here in the Glades, It just hurts to hear people refer to our area as if its practically hopeless. I wish people would just simply ask what can i do to make it better? Then we can put forth a collabortive effort and make a difference in our community and in the lives of our children. If hope is lost what can we instill in our furture generation. Let's work together and beautify our area and prove to people we are deserving of change and opportunity. "It's not what we are, but what we are capable of becoming" provided we believe and are committed to contributing to the perserving of our town and precious heritage. "Let's not talk about it, But be about it."
Muck Love!

CONTRIBUTED!!!

Old 03-13-2009, 11:01 AM

2 posts, read 13,481 times
Default Do your homework

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckysnap View Post
Hell Glade. If was worth a damn, people would be investing and moving there.
People are investing and moving out there!! It is a small, relatively close knit community. The people who live there are what make it so wonderful! I let a lot of little things anger me sometimes about living here, but all in all I wouldnt want to be anywhere else. There may not be a Starbucks, a mall, or all of the luxuries that the " big cities " offer, but there are simple things that my family and I enjoy. Lake Okeechobee is 5 minutes from my house. Fishing, airboating, or just a nice peaceful walk on top of the HH **** overlooking the water is keeps me sane. Its definitely not for everyone.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 13,481 times
Levy....I guess they thought **** meaning lesbian...ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach