Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 9,495 times

Advertisements

Hey - these forums are a great resource...figured I would give it a shot. Early 30's couple recently moved to PBC for work reasons...and currently renting in Delray Beach about 1/2 from the ocean. We love the beach and want to be as close to the water as possible. The idea was to rent for a year and then figure out if/where my wife and I would buy. While I love the energy of downtown Delray, I'm fearful that it's just going to get too crowded, trendy, pricey, etc. It sucks because you want a cute, beachy town like Delray to stay under the radar, but it appears the developers are really sinking their teeth into this place.

So I'm wondering if there are any other options. Boca & Boynton don't really have a downtown, and WPB & Jupiter are little too far North. That really only leaves Lake Worth. I've read some things about an upswing in the downtown area, but haven't spent enough time there to really get a good feel for it. My only experience is in and around the John Prince Park area and it seems pretty seedy. Ideally we would like to buy an old beach house (possibly a foreclosure or something underutilized) and put some money into it. I was looking at the crime maps and it looks like the area just west of Bryant Park is pretty safe, pretty. Just not sure how hipster/artsy it is, or will become. Would love to get some feedback. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 02:31 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
If considering Lake Worth, look at the northeast section of Lake Worth (north of downtown and east of Dixie, at a minimum). Generally, as far east as you can go.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:38 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,685,373 times
It's my understanding that Lake Worth is a bit of a magnet with the gays.
So, if that indicates anything, I imagine it'll remain a decent area. Perhaps Lake Worth is improving and will continue to go in that direction, but I always thought it's a lesser Delray... I think Delray is nicer and a bit more chic and u property values will hold better. Plus, ur right next to boca, which is a nice little city. Lake Worth is too "West Palm Beachy"... but u never know. Maybe the gays will turn it into a gayborhood and it'll be the next PBC hot spot.

Old 08-04-2015, 06:59 PM

293 posts, read 499,763 times
Lake Worth is more of "in process" of up and coming vs delray, therefore you can still get some good deals in lake worth. In fact I am in contract to buy a property there now as a rental investment because I feel there are still good values there and the price appreciation over the next 5 years will be very good. The area has already started to reform itself and many developers are now coming there with a few new town-home projects.

as TriMT7 said, stay Northeast section of Lake Worth (north of downtown and east of Dixie, at a minimum). anywhere between J street east to the intra-coastal and no farther than 6th ave north as you want to have it walkable to downtown Lake-Lucerne Ave

Old 08-05-2015, 07:56 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
It's my understanding that Lake Worth is a bit of a magnet with the gays.
So, if that indicates anything, I imagine it'll remain a decent area. Perhaps Lake Worth is improving and will continue to go in that direction, but I always thought it's a lesser Delray... I think Delray is nicer and a bit more chic and u property values will hold better. Plus, ur right next to boca, which is a nice little city. Lake Worth is too "West Palm Beachy"... but u never know. Maybe the gays will turn it into a gayborhood and it'll be the next PBC hot spot.
Lake Worth has a very large gay population, but they are competing with even more forces pulling in the opposite direction.

The town needs to be better-run, and the residents need to make tough choices. I was so disappointed and shocked, really, when the residents recently voted down a bond which would have paid for an upgrade to all streets, put in sidewalk infrastructure, etc.

Those are the types of improvements that NEED to be made, to attract quality residents and keep property values up. It has such potential as a town to be one of the last semi-affordable beach towns in SE Florida, but it's a long road.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:00 AM

6 posts, read 15,295 times
Lake Worth has a lot of great POTENTIAL, but I would personally never move there. I am a police officer who patrolled the city for years, and my girlfriend's family owns several rental properties throughout the city. Her family is looking to divest themselves of all holdings within the city merely because the politicians are incompetent, the utilities are through the roof and extremely unstable, and the crime (particularly in the south end) is horrendous. A recent article pegged Lake Worth as the 3rd most dangerous city in the entire state.

Take a drive through the city at 1am, and see what's out there. Just drive along Dixie highway from the down town area, south to Lantana. You'll see prostitutes everywhere, drug dealers, and heroin zombies. Lake Worth MAY turn around one day, and if you were to get in now, it could be a great investment; however, I don't see it, at least not any time soon. You'd have to hold your real estate for a decade or more to really see changes.

The city is like 80% rentals, and once you go south of 4th Ave. South, you are really taking your life into your own hands at that point. Take a drive down Washington Ave. at any point in the day or night, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The property taxes from the north end of the city pay for THE ENTIRE CITY, which is why the bond to repave the roads was shot down. The few who actually maintain their properties and pay taxes don't want to pay for all the south-enders who sell heroin all day and contribute nothing.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:39 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,044,778 times
I used to go to Delray a lot when I traveled to Florida, but rarely do I. The last time I stayed a block or two from the beach and from what I noticed and from what people told me, it truly changed. I would not want to live in Delray myself because of the numerous of half-way houses and those people who frequent Atlantic Avenue where I have been approached once. It used to be so vibrant of a place at one time and so many restaurants and shopping, but so many have closed down in the years. Anyways, Lake Worth has more going on every weekend. And Delray has some good street events too from time to time but not every weekend.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:14 PM

981 posts, read 898,834 times
I agree that the halfway houses are a big problem in Delray (in my opinion probably our towns biggest problem), but overall the town continues to grow in both high end real estate and more shopping & dining. Some would say that the town is growing too big (I have concerns myself) and losing its village appeal, but I dont think it is losing its vibrancy as there is more activity, visitors, and new businesses than ever. Unfortunately some of that growth includes more halfway houses and those problems that go with it, and I have seen a lot more homeless particularly around Atlantic and wonder if the addition of the free trolley and other services have drawn more homeless to our town. But honeslty I havent personally seen any increase in crime, although I would be curious to check the stats. The Delray PD does appear to be inviting more community involvement and visible policing, which is a good thing. I continue to be hopeful that Delray will continue to be a great place to live and be even better in the future. Although dont get me started on the train....

Old 09-16-2015, 11:19 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,044,778 times
The increased homeless isn't because of the free trolley or anything else. I was told that they are given a free one way ticket from up East and that's where they are ending up at... Florida!

I know about the new growth in shopping & restaurants and the huge place on West Atlantic (great movie theater) and the new one on Federal and Linton, I think.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:27 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,415,987 times
I live in the "desirable" NE area of LW. People watch either other/ notice I said watch/
to perhaps an annoying extent. But because of that it is safe in this area. My experience is that the people think the worst of people they don't know. Perhaps that's just human nature.

If you can afford Palm Way or Lakeside, go for it. I also like the area just sw of Bryant Park.

Due to the homeless situation don't expect to be allowed to sit in the park at dusk. I was observing screech owls near the street one night next to the park and a really nasty PBSO deputy threatened to arrest me even though I was gathering my recording equipment for the owl calls and moving on my way.
I don't find the utilities any more expensive or troublesome than they were in Delray.
Lots of nasty politics right now due to the Hudson Holdings issue.
I ride my bike to the beach, stores, Bamboo Room. I ride from early morning till late at night and have never had a problem. I would just hold off for a while- if Hudson Holdings bails out of the Gulfstream deal I would have second thought; maybe they'll flip it to a major hotelier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach