Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 03:45 PM

136 posts, read 141,851 times

Advertisements

I'll be in West Palm Beach for work and have one free weekend afternoon (3-4 hrs max). Staying close to the airport (off of Executive Center Drive). What should I explore/check out?

The only thing I've heard of there is City Place -- which just sounds like an outdoor mall to me. I'm from the northeast, so honestly anything outdoors where I can see palm trees is probably fine. Bonus points if there's takeout restaurants and a grocery store where I can stop on the way back to the hotel in the evening to grab dinner/snacks.

How far am I from the beach? Also, can you comment of the relative security of the area near the hotel and City Place -- is it safe to walk around? Or take a car to a particular beach? (Single female traveling alone so I don't want to be out walking around if it isn't a secure, popular area.) I'd love to see the beach, but am looking for more of a walk around place -- i.e. if I can stop at the beach for 30 min on my way someplace else, that's optimal but I don't know if that's realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 05:26 AM

216 posts, read 328,016 times
I think checking out Palm Beach which is relatively near the airport might be good. You could take Southern Blvd (which is major road just south of airport) due East to S. Ocean Blvd head north to see some ocean front mansions up towards Worth ave. There is a beach to visit then Worth Ave If you like high end shopping. If you have time you could rent a bike and ride the Lake trail. City Place is nice but just an outdoor mall. Slightly further away but not far is Clematis Street which has lots of bars and restaurants.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:06 AM

1,759 posts, read 2,166,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbig View Post
I think checking out Palm Beach which is relatively near the airport might be good. You could take Southern Blvd (which is major road just south of airport) due East to S. Ocean Blvd head north to see some ocean front mansions up towards Worth ave. There is a beach to visit then Worth Ave If you like high end shopping. If you have time you could rent a bike and ride the Lake trail. City Place is nice but just an outdoor mall. Slightly further away but not far is Clematis Street which has lots of bars and restaurants.

City place has all the fun and outdoor places to eat.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:56 AM

194 posts, read 428,051 times
Agree that Cityplace is your best option based on your criteria. It is more a restaurant, entertainment area than a traditional outdoor mall area. You can sit outdoors at one of the many restaurants or order something and sit on one of the tables in the center by the fountain. There is a Publix supermarket on Rosemary Avenue on the north edge of Cityplace. Clematis Street is a few minutes walk away and there are many more restaurants over there. The ocean is a 5-10 minute drive away going east on Okeechobee Road.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:02 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
If you want a Palm Beach experience, head on down to Worth Avenue. Stroll the shops, look at the beach. Have a coffee, a bite to eat, walk around a couple of blocks to see the fancy houses.

If you're adventurous you can rent a bike at one of the bike share stations in West Palm, take it over the bridge and do a bit of the "Lake Trail".

Old 02-03-2016, 10:32 AM

5,023 posts, read 7,452,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
If you want a Palm Beach experience, head on down to Worth Avenue. Stroll the shops, look at the beach. Have a coffee, a bite to eat, walk around a couple of blocks to see the fancy houses.

Do this!!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:24 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,473,973 times
City Place is a waste of time. Its all retail chains and dining. The better more interesting area to walk around is Clematis Street which is 5-10 blocks north of City Place. You can park along Clematis Street anywhere and stroll along. The best part is at the eastern end of Clematis Street by the water along Flagler Street. Lots of shops, small eateries, etc. Clematis Street and City Place are pretty safe and well patrolled by police, but beware that a couple of blocks off it gets very ghetto and unsafe. Just stay in main areas where there are other people around. If you are unsure about a block or area, turn around and go back.

3-4 hours isn't much time and will fly by quickly. If going to the beach is a priority, just go straight there and don't waste your time anywhere else. Palm Beach is the closest beach, but somewhat limited and boring. It is just a quiet beach. The more lively public beaches are farther north and south, but you would lose time driving. Juno Pier about 20 minutes north in the town of Juno Beach is a great beach. Worth Avenue is a historic shopping district for the wealthy elite. Somewhat interesting if you are into that scene.

The areas around the hotel are not very safe, except the main shopping areas along Palm Beach Lakes Blvd. The Palm Beach Outlet Mall is located right across from your hotel and may be worth checking out at night if you have time, but again, we get back to more shopping. I doubt that's what you came here to see. Chic Fil A and Pollo Tropical are also nearby your hotel for cheap fast food. There is a Target supercenter right by your hotel as well.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:13 AM

136 posts, read 141,851 times
Thanks for the tip about Target - I'll need someplace to just go pick up some water/snacks, though don't intend to wander too much in the area of my hotel.

I think Worth Avenue may be what I'm looking for -- outdoor, walk around, get a view of a nice part of West Palm for a few hours w/o wondering about safety. I assume it'll be "busy" on a Sunday afternoon (not NYC busy but busy enough that you're not walking around alone). Sounds like when I'm done wandering, there are places where I can pick up dinner on the way back to the hotel and not have to venture out again.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:12 PM

981 posts, read 900,142 times
Definitely check out Worth Avenue. Close enough for the amount of time you have and worth a look. Plus it is in season so people watching is great.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:16 AM

30 posts, read 48,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
City Place is a waste of time. Its all retail chains and dining. The better more interesting area to walk around is Clematis Street which is 5-10 blocks north of City Place. You can park along Clematis Street anywhere and stroll along. The best part is at the eastern end of Clematis Street by the water along Flagler Street. Lots of shops, small eateries, etc. Clematis Street and City Place are pretty safe and well patrolled by police, but beware that a couple of blocks off it gets very ghetto and unsafe. Just stay in main areas where there are other people around. If you are unsure about a block or area, turn around and go back.

3-4 hours isn't much time and will fly by quickly. If going to the beach is a priority, just go straight there and don't waste your time anywhere else. Palm Beach is the closest beach, but somewhat limited and boring. It is just a quiet beach. The more lively public beaches are farther north and south, but you would lose time driving. Juno Pier about 20 minutes north in the town of Juno Beach is a great beach. Worth Avenue is a historic shopping district for the wealthy elite. Somewhat interesting if you are into that scene.

The areas around the hotel are not very safe, except the main shopping areas along Palm Beach Lakes Blvd. The Palm Beach Outlet Mall is located right across from your hotel and may be worth checking out at night if you have time, but again, we get back to more shopping. I doubt that's what you came here to see. Chic Fil A and Pollo Tropical are also nearby your hotel for cheap fast food. There is a Target supercenter right by your hotel as well.
I agree Clematis Street is the place to go
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach