Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 05:33 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,155,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
My mom is a teacher, lost her job in sept 06, cannot find new work, forget it, she has a Masters, its terrible for jobs here, one job she found paid 28k only.

This makes no sense at all...they were begging for teachers last summer....even held workshops to help people with degrees in ANY area and wanted to make a career change, learn how to become a teacher. It was all over the news.

As far as IT jobs go...there was an ad on Orange County Access TV today for a systems Ad for 69K-79K plus great benefits working for Orange county.
This was Christian and he is banned from the forum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2006, 06:10 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
This was Christian and he is banned from the forum...
He was banned? No wonder I haven't seen his rhetoric in a couple of days. I was hoping he had taken a long vacation. It is a Merry Christmas now!

Old 12-23-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
He was banned? No wonder I haven't seen his rhetoric in a couple of days. I was hoping he had taken a long vacation. It is a Merry Christmas now!
He loaded a 2nd alias and gave it away in his profile, choice of words, and link to pictures...

Merry Christams to all....

Old 12-23-2006, 02:45 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,155,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrico90 View Post
He loaded a 2nd alias and gave it away in his profile, choice of words, and link to pictures...

Merry Christams to all....

Wasn't that a bright thing to do

Old 12-23-2006, 07:54 PM

Lightbulb Florida's population boom slows to 1.8 percent, census shows

Are we taking a break for X-mas?

By Babita Persaud and Elizabeth Baier
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted December 23 2006

A U.S. census report released Friday shows that the boom for the Sunshine State has slowed, with Florida growing only 1.8 percent in 2006 after back-to-back years of adding more than 2 percent to the population.

So, is this just a blip?

"No," said Stefan Rayer, research demographer at the University of Florida's Bureau of Economic and Business Research. "It's back to normal."

In 2005, Florida was ranked No. 4 in the list of fast-growing states, just behind Arizona, Nevada and Idaho.

This year, Florida slips to No. 9.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/loc...a-news-broward

Old 12-23-2006, 09:51 PM

6 posts, read 29,000 times
i can believe some of the stuff i am reading by educated people. i moved to orlando in 1990 my first job was washiing garbage trucks. by 1992/93 i bought my first house i was working for fields bmw as a tech. in 1994 i bought 10 acres in geneva and got a job with the county. in 1996 i took a job in miami rented out my house and sold my 10 acres and bought my house in miami in 2004 in bought a warehouse for rental income. in 2005 i sold my house in orlando and bought 2 more warehouses. my house is worht 700k warehouse 2 is 600k and 3 and 4 worth 300k each. i got my degree in 2003 in public administration and i make about 90k minimum. my wife made almost 90k working at albertson. she got a scolarship and went to nursing school for 3yrs and started at $32 an hr working 3 days a week. i have 2 kids and think fl is great.

i have not seen 1 illegal alien taking any job of importance they work as landscapers, cleaners, construction, food service. i bet you never told your landscaper that he could not do your lawn unless he hired ameracan labor. i think some of you spend yo much time trying to get society to feel bad for you. take the $10 job and go from there do not put others down for making it. another thing is if a person has a work visa they are legal to work that is american law.

if i came here but naked and started all over again i be buying a house within a year or two, you must have gotten misinformed when they were handing out degrees that was a stepping stone not a gold ticket to a job. figure out what you are doing wrong and fix it do not blame someone else for your failures. this is a new day and it is a global market take charge and move forward.

i have 2 nnephew both the same age one is a brain the other is a burn out guess who makes more, the burnout loads containers and what ever else, the other is working night and day in finacing.

i also worked thru college so i have no student loans to pay besides my morgage, i even paid for my car. those student loans are funny my sister is older than me and she is still paing her loan, and she is a principal.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:55 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
What did your wife do at Albertsons to make that kind of money?

Old 12-23-2006, 10:08 PM

6 posts, read 29,000 times
well you do what you have to do. my wife got a job at albertson when she was 15 or 16 she used her sisters id to get the job(my wife was a run away from an abusiive family member) when she bacame legal she told her store director the truth and he fired her and re hired her under her real name she started pushing carts on curryford and 436(semeron) she became a cashier then a frontend manager then a trainer and then a stor assistant mager who got 1% of store profit when she made good money she was working in plantation driving an 1.5 hr to work and she worked from 8am to like 8pm with no life. i told her to take the scolarship and quit albertson so we could spend better time together, alberson suck in that they work all of the holidays. it is like i said take what you can and go from there. people whant to see what you can do not read what you can do.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:16 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,209,634 times
Rep...thank you for your refreshing posts. Your can do attitude is what we all need to hear. Welcome to the board and looking forward to hearing more from you.

Old 12-25-2006, 12:29 PM

61 posts, read 130,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indmachrep View Post
i can believe some of the stuff i am reading by educated people. i moved to orlando in 1990 my first job was washiing garbage trucks. by 1992/93 i bought my first house i was working for fields bmw as a tech. in 1994 i bought 10 acres in geneva and got a job with the county. in 1996 i took a job in miami rented out my house and sold my 10 acres and bought my house in miami in 2004 in bought a warehouse for rental income. in 2005 i sold my house in orlando and bought 2 more warehouses. my house is worht 700k warehouse 2 is 600k and 3 and 4 worth 300k each. i got my degree in 2003 in public administration and i make about 90k minimum. my wife made almost 90k working at albertson. she got a scolarship and went to nursing school for 3yrs and started at $32 an hr working 3 days a week. i have 2 kids and think fl is great.

i think some of you spend yo much time trying to get society to feel bad for you. take the $10 job and go from there do not put others down for making it. another thing is if a person has a work visa they are legal to work that is american law.

if i came here but naked and started all over again i be buying a house within a year or two, you must have gotten misinformed when they were handing out degrees that was a stepping stone not a gold ticket to a job. figure out what you are doing wrong and fix it do not blame someone else for your failures. this is a new day and it is a global market take charge and move forward.

i have 2 nnephew both the same age one is a brain the other is a burn out guess who makes more, the burnout loads containers and what ever else, the other is working night and day in finacing.

i also worked thru college so i have no student loans to pay besides my morgage, i even paid for my car. those student loans are funny my sister is older than me and she is still paing her loan, and she is a principal.

I think what your failing to understand here is owning warehouses is running some kind of a business. Owning a business in florida is profitable because you charge the same rates as most anywhere else in the country but you pay your employee's less because wages are lower and abundance of workers is high. What we are referring to in this thread is not owning a business and working for a business or company. Yes there are a few jobs that pay well but the majority of jobs pay garbage down there. If you don't believe me look at hotjobs.com, monster.com, careerbuilder.com and just compare jobs from different areas. I live in CT just out of NYC. I work for one of the largest financial firms in the world. Here 80% of the work force makes 6 figures in my company. I pull over $100k myself. To do the EXACT SAME JOB in florida pays $35K a year. I swear to god I have been looking for 4 years in that entire state, even interviewing with big companys and the largest salary I could find was $42K a year for IT support that pays so much more up here and most everywhere else. I looked into my own company transfering me down there and they told me I would need to take a $65K salary cut. So I looked into other types of work down there. Specialized programers do well making low 90's. But those same guys make $300K here. Business analyst jobs pay garbage. Almost everything else I see down there pays nothing to work for someone. If you are a plumber, electrician, or skilled labor based person you are in more demand so you are probably better off because those skills are in higher demand down there. Any type of trade that enables you to be on your own or run your own business is fine down there. For exception of a few jobs, most of florida pays garbage salaries to work for a company and I am sure almost everyone here will agree with me.

If you are in your mid 30's or 40's with a family, how can you possibly give up a career you established with a $100k salary range to move down there and try to open and run a business that you are not experienced in or know nothing about? Businesses can take large startup fee's as well. Its fine if you start at a younger age like you did, but now its not that easy. Dont get me wrong, I love florida and way prefer it to CT anyday. But Until my computer science and mechanical engineering degree's allow me to make 6 figures down there working for someone, I am stuck here with 30 degrees (tempurature) and occassional snow for 4 months. Here in stamford/greenwich CT I can have a $700K house, Porsche 911, acura nsx, and still get ahead. I prefer florida, but unlike you, I am starting to late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach