Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,355 times

Advertisements

Newly Divorced, New Yorker wanting to head to boca to start over, Have a cat, I am 56,female, but limited funds under 100M . I want it to be safe . and reasonable...and take the cat..tough in boca.

I notice that first floor places in the complexes I saw tend to go reo or foreclosure...Is it because of safety or being on the grass bug or alligator/snake?

These are the communities I saw on the internet, none of them are gated and If I go out in the evening..
Boca Linda, boca bella (no little sun room for the cat), woodhaven condo (is it safe?) edgewood. I also saw a one bedroom in centre hill courts and a complex called tierra del sol. oh and boca country club.

Will need to look for accounting work- bookkeeping, staff manager I don't care when I get down there..work areas are how far a distance ....I do have a car to park.

I do plan on going out in the evening, so safety is a concern.

I cant get a straight answer or help from real estate agent, I would really like to be educated prior to dealing with them at this point.... they keep just sending me whisper walk.

I don't want to be on the water canal or lake...shouldn't I be concerned especially if come home in the evening snakes alligators, etc.

I was typing in 2 bedroom because the room would have been great..... but if I have to be in a one bedroom for a better building...please let me know your thoughts...I am blind from searching on the internet constantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 06:00 PM

100 posts, read 130,814 times
Hi! I think you should visit for at least a few weeks (if you haven't already done so), and get a feel of the areas which may interest you. Also I assume the 100M was a typo because you can get a lot for that.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:52 PM

387 posts, read 515,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriex333 View Post
Hi! I think you should visit for at least a few weeks (if you haven't already done so), and get a feel of the areas which may interest you. Also I assume the 100M was a typo because you can get a lot for that.
Thats what I did, research, know the area map wise, plan a trip.Explore the areas you've narrowed down prior to your trip. I knew my target area,otherwise you could be driving around in circles. Seeing the area was a make or break time in the decision process.Compared to Queens NY you'll find a much better deal here.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:07 AM

530 posts, read 667,240 times
I think it's a great idea to spend some time in the area in which you wish to move. Wouldn't it be a good idea to line up a job first, before you make the move?
The reason that agents keep sending you the same information is that they are trying to match the money to the location. If you broadened your horizons to a more general area (Boca, Delray, etc.), you might have more success and you will surely have more choices.
Why did you set your sights on just one town? Figure out what is the most important thing to you and make that the priority when communicating with agents. They are doing their jobs which is to sell property.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:09 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Do you have any friends or family in South Florida?

Maybe get some input from them. They know you and South Florida. You could find a short term rental apartment and get a feel for the area before making a full on commitment to buy or signing a lease.

Old 10-27-2016, 05:06 PM

387 posts, read 515,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
I think it's a great idea to spend some time in the area in which you wish to move. Wouldn't it be a good idea to line up a job first, before you make the move?
The reason that agents keep sending you the same information is that they are trying to match the money to the location. If you broadened your horizons to a more general area (Boca, Delray, etc.), you might have more success and you will surely have more choices.
Why did you set your sights on just one town? Figure out what is the most important thing to you and make that the priority when communicating with agents. They are doing their jobs which is to sell property.
Great advice on the finding work comment. It's a bit tricky taking a job offer without knowing the area you'd be living in. Took me awhile to narrow my search,glad I chose East Boca. I would say, Visit, look for work & suitable housing, see if its doable, then decide. Realtors are a great help but they need a budget to work with.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:15 AM

1,904 posts, read 1,045,336 times
She disappeared....imagine that!

100m...i would say get a job as a house sitter.

Old 10-28-2016, 08:20 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
100M ain't limited funds!

Old 10-28-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john-staten island View Post
Great advice on the finding work comment. It's a bit tricky taking a job offer without knowing the area you'd be living in. Took me awhile to narrow my search,glad I chose East Boca. I would say, Visit, look for work & suitable housing, see if its doable, then decide. Realtors are a great help but they need a budget to work with.

Another piece of advice for finding work, if you can use a local address on your resume and applications that would help. Many time resumes with out of town addresses will not even be looked at. ( my brother hired staff at his last job and if they were not local to them no consideration was given. Problems with relocation, people getting homesick after a move, family issues etc)

A NY phone number not that big a deal, no one changes cell phone number any more when they move. A different area code could be the new one for across town as far as many are concerned, and many areas, including all of South Florida have 10 digit dialing

Old 10-28-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
100M ain't limited funds!
In the past it was common to use M as an abbreviation for thousand and MM for millions
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If 100 million is limited funds, she is looking for a "summer cottage" like the ones in Newport RI
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
100K budget would go farther in other parts of Florida, I cant imaging any condo in PBC unless in a very undesirable neighborhood or a trailer in trailer park.

If you are open to other areas for Florida away from throngs of transplanted New Yorkers and farther from the coast perhaps it will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach