Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 01:07 PM

32 posts, read 96,630 times

Advertisements

I've been comparing Parkland vs. the more western areas of Boca (so looking at homes in a similar price range btw about 700 & 950). I see that Parkland schools are better rated, and the towns are in different counties. Is there any other difference I should be aware of?

Which city of the two would you prefer and why (for a family with 3 tween-aged kids)? Work is home-based, so there's no location preference, and at present the children are homeschooled, so the schools might be used later or just as a selling point for the house at some point.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 07:43 PM

387 posts, read 515,341 times
Probably can't go wrong in either location. I chose East Boca for access to the beautiful beaches, shopping,restaurants..all pretty close in proximity.Boca Schools are rated very well also. Your price range gives you a lot of options.I think I recall similar comparisons, you might be able to use the search forums for more info.Good luck....

Old 10-27-2017, 08:34 PM

Thank you. I was unable to find a direct comparison of the two. Most threads mention Parkland and Weston.

Old 10-27-2017, 09:29 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Parkland is more peaceful than Boca, IMO. Boca is just a far larger city. Boca also has much more retail and dining. Much higher Jewish population in Boca too. West Boca also technically isn’t in the city limits. It’s unincorporated. So you’re serviced by the county rather than the city. I don’t think you get a city resident beach pass either.

I’m surprised you weren’t able to find any threads on Parkland vs. (west) Boca as I remember a few. Maybe some posted in the Ft.Laudetdale/Broward forum?

Old 10-28-2017, 06:55 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Parkland is more peaceful than Boca, IMO. Boca is just a far larger city. Boca also has much more retail and dining. Much higher Jewish population in Boca too. West Boca also technically isn’t in the city limits. It’s unincorporated. So you’re serviced by the county rather than the city. I don’t think you get a city resident beach pass either.

I’m surprised you weren’t able to find any threads on Parkland vs. (west) Boca as I remember a few. Maybe some posted in the Ft.Laudetdale/Broward forum?
100% spot on.....

The "west Boca" clientele can be rough, after all you can buy a 40K condo in west Boca and brag to all your friends "you gotta condo in Bocur!" Parkland also doesn't have trailer parks (yes west Boca does).

Old 10-28-2017, 09:54 AM

What’s the resident beach permit? I saw that on the Boca website. Is it for parking? Is it for being able to go to the beach? Does that mean higher taxes within the city?

I’m also not familiar with the concept of unincorporated areas, do they incorporate later? What kind of address do they have?

From comparing demographics I was under the impression that they were similar in Parkland and Boca, but it’s been a couple of years since I’ve looked into that, our plans became a lot more concrete since that point.

Old 10-28-2017, 12:20 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcanuck View Post
What’s the resident beach permit? I saw that on the Boca website. Is it for parking? Is it for being able to go to the beach? Does that mean higher taxes within the city?

I’m also not familiar with the concept of unincorporated areas, do they incorporate later? What kind of address do they have?

From comparing demographics I was under the impression that they were similar in Parkland and Boca, but it’s been a couple of years since I’ve looked into that, our plans became a lot more concrete since that point.
"Actual in the city of Boca Raton residents" get perks like the golf courses, beaches, libraries, tennis courts/pool facilities for a discounted rate. Non-residents pay more for the same benefits. The actual city has different code rules also. For example, City of Boca says no boats in your yard that can be seen from the street. West Boca (unincorporated PBC) may allow that.

Address will still say Boca Raton but in reality it is unincorporated Palm Beach County. City limits stops east of the Jog road in most cases (Woodfield Country Club would be an exception). In Southern Boca the city limits stops at about Military Trail. Nothing off the 441 corridor is in the city limits for sure.

Look up any property on the county appraisers site, 3rd line down shows municipality:
Property Appraiser, Palm Beach County, Florida, USA

Owners Name
Address
Municipality BOCA RATON

Old 10-28-2017, 01:33 PM

Thank you. Will go take a look.

Old 10-30-2017, 07:22 PM

39 posts, read 62,232 times
Default Parkland vs. Boca Raton

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJcanuck View Post
I've been comparing Parkland vs. the more western areas of Boca (so looking at homes in a similar price range btw about 700 & 950). I see that Parkland schools are better rated, and the towns are in different counties. Is there any other difference I should be aware of?

Which city of the two would you prefer and why (for a family with 3 tween-aged kids)? Work is home-based, so there's no location preference, and at present the children are homeschooled, so the schools might be used later or just as a selling point for the house at some point.

Thanks.
Hi There! I had the same exact question as you over 3 years ago....we moved to Parkland from NJ. I see you once lived in NJ. My thread is still on the Ft. Lauderdale forum and I still get messages from my post regarding this same exact question. It's a big decision to make and that's why I posted here as well. People on this forum were a great help as I was trying to make a decision.

I have two boys and we were deciding between West Boca and Parkland as well. My boys were middle school and high school age. You really can't go wrong with either town. Boca is much larger and spread out with more traffic and shopping. We chose Parkland because we immediately fell in love with the smaller, much more intimate feel. It has beautiful tree lined streets with plenty of walking paths and parks, thus the name "Parkland." It even has a dog park named "Barkland." We have our own library with plenty of community events and the town itself has continuous community events such as concerts in the park, fishing derbies, farmer's market, movies in the park, etc...

We have been very impressed and happy with the schools here. My older son just started UCF and my younger son went through the middle school and is a sophomore at Stoneman Douglas High School. West Boca schools are also well rated and I hear great things about the schools there as well.

Parkland is conveniently located off the Sawgrass Expressway which makes it convenient to get places quickly whereas West Boca is a bit further away from a major highway. Typically you do get more house for your money in West Boca.

Hopefully this helps....if you have any further questions, feel free to private message me

Old 12-13-2017, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 5,874 times
Hi There--

I just came across your post and would love to get more insight. My husband just accepted a job offer down in Boca. I'm originally from NY and have lived in NJ past 7 years. My husband is from Miami. I've heard things about Parkland and west boca and any help or advice would be great. This is such an emotional time too, as all of my family is up here. I have 2 boys (5 and 2). Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach