Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 AM

47 posts, read 52,829 times

Advertisements

I got a letter asking if I wanted to sign up for water pipe insurance. (cost is $4/month). It covers the cost of any repairs to the wter line that goes from house to property line at street. Does anyone now anything about this and if it's a reasonable thing to have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 04:57 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splais View Post
I got a letter asking if I wanted to sign up for water pipe insurance. (cost is $4/month). It covers the cost of any repairs to the wter line that goes from house to property line at street. Does anyone now anything about this and if it's a reasonable thing to have?
If your house was built in the last 40 years it probably has plastic PVC water supply pipe. Measure the distance between your water meter and the main feed going into your house. Lets say its 50 ft, then go to Home Depot and price out 50 ft of 1 inch PVC pipe (5 sticks @ 10 ft each should cost about $7 a stick or $35). So $35 in pipe plus an hour or two labor........chances are $4 a month is too much!

Old 02-24-2018, 12:57 AM

530 posts, read 667,153 times
Interestingly, we received one of these letters as well. It is now in the circular file. The first clue that is was a scam was that it was allegedly sent by the electric company. Since when does the electric company try to sell anything that has to do with water?

Old 02-24-2018, 07:50 AM

47 posts, read 52,829 times
Oh, southern star, thanks. I missed that one!

PS: actually I took the time to look up FPL Energy Services. It is an actual company; albeit an "american home shield" type company selling protection insurance for all kinds of crap.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:26 PM

623 posts, read 965,818 times
I have got 2 letters in the last two weeks. I think it's like auto warranty insurance wait to you try to use it and they're no where to be found.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:33 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
If you found a ligit company and your home or water line was built 75 years ago I would say yes.

Sure the guy who said pipes from home depot cost $40 total, but that's the cost. If you home does not have a crawl space that means they have to rip out the previous pipes if they are bad. and any pipe to the street would also have to be dug out and you don't use a toy shovel. If you have a lot of trees in your front and side yard that's a consideration too since the roots can damage and grow into and damage the water lines.

I also a saw a recent commercial for a class action lawsuit for cast iron pipes in Florida. https://www.pipelawsuit.com/

Old 02-27-2018, 05:00 PM

623 posts, read 965,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
If you found a ligit company and your home or water line was built 75 years ago I would say yes.

Sure the guy who said pipes from home depot cost $40 total, but that's the cost. If you home does not have a crawl space that means they have to rip out the previous pipes if they are bad. and any pipe to the street would also have to be dug out and you don't use a toy shovel. If you have a lot of trees in your front and side yard that's a consideration too since the roots can damage and grow into and damage the water lines.

I also a saw a recent commercial for a class action lawsuit for cast iron pipes in Florida. https://www.pipelawsuit.com/
It's only from where the outside shutoff is to the street shutoff which in Florida is on the lawn. My 2 shutoffs are less than 15 feet apart. But you're right the older the pipe the more chance it will fail. Most Florida houses are on a cement pad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach