Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 06:46 PM

8 posts, read 11,846 times

Advertisements

I'm in my 30s and have lived in Boca nearly my entire life. Over the last few years I've finally seen the downtown begin to develop. We've also been fortunate to get a medical school at FAU and to have several large companies move to Boca.

I think it's great. I'm excited that a real walkable downtown is beginning to form and I'm excited to see my city grow.

When I see Facebook posts touting new development, the comments are almost always exclusively negative -- "too much development!" or "too much traffic!" or, of course, the ultimate exaggeration "Boca is becoming the next Miami!" They also assert that development "ruined downtown." What?!

Why does it seem like everyone except me is against growth? Why doesn't anyone else seem to want a real, vibrant downtown and a growing economy? I've even seen people complain about the medical school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 04:23 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
You answered your question in your own post.

Old 03-06-2018, 04:51 AM

8 posts, read 11,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
You answered your question in your own post.
Not really -- those assertions make no sense. Putting a few 8-10 story mixed use buildings downtown doesn't make it brickell. It makes it a real downtown.

Would most people in Boca really prefer to forego good jobs, the benefits of a medical school, and the development of amenities that attract young families and professionals so they can have slightly less cars on the road? I just don't understand it.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:39 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Boca was a sleepy town 30 years ago (I moved there in 1984). What it has morphed into is gross. Sure expanding FAU is fine, football stadium great but the downtown high rises and 47 Italian restaurants is overkill. The fact that one guy essentially owns all of downtown (Investments Limited, black/yellow signs) is going to push development towards the biggest buildings per square ft he can get away with. As far as traffic, if you add more sq footage of offices/residences and Palmetto Park is still 4 lanes total from the beach to just about I-95 then you are going to have a major traffic headache. US1 is still 4 lanes from Camino to Glades and is going to have the same problem. The brightline trains will hurt the traffic flow even more.

That "glut" of development will eventually cause the prices of retail rents to levels of $200 mens haircuts and $85 chicken parmigian! Once that happens, the vacancy signs will soon help reduce traffic.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:53 AM

5,021 posts, read 7,449,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Boca was a sleepy town 30 years ago (I moved there in 1984). What it has morphed into is gross. Sure expanding FAU is fine, football stadium great but the downtown high rises and 47 Italian restaurants is overkill. The fact that one guy essentially owns all of downtown (Investments Limited, black/yellow signs) is going to push development towards the biggest buildings per square ft he can get away with. As far as traffic, if you add more sq footage of offices/residences and Palmetto Park is still 4 lanes total from the beach to just about I-95 then you are going to have a major traffic headache. US1 is still 4 lanes from Camino to Glades and is going to have the same problem. The brightline trains will hurt the traffic flow even more.

That "glut" of development will eventually cause the prices of retail rents to levels of $200 mens haircuts and $85 chicken parmigian! Once that happens, the vacancy signs will soon help reduce traffic.
Great post!

Old 03-06-2018, 07:00 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
This will sound like a stupid question, but where is this new walkable downtown? I don't know Boca very well and would like to check it out. Is it near the beach or near Military Road?

Old 03-06-2018, 07:13 AM

4 posts, read 4,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
This will sound like a stupid question, but where is this new walkable downtown? I don't know Boca very well and would like to check it out. Is it near the beach or near Military Road?
The area is centered around Mizner Park. Basically, the area around Federal Highway starting just south of Glades and running to Camino.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:37 AM

4,607 posts, read 3,300,134 times
Thanks!

Old 03-08-2018, 11:28 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,419,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

I love your “47 Italian restaurants “ comment.

It’s like Delray- fine if you want to go out to eat.

This area is kind of odd. If it were crowded in a different way, it would be fine.

It’s great to have a medical school, etc. I guess what I don’t understand is the hype that places like Delray and Boca have about being hotbeds of creativity and uniqueness.

It’s okay for spectating, but unless you’re retired and take classes at Old School Square or the Boca Museum.
I’ll probably get flack for whatever I say, so...

Tampa, St Pete, Sarasota, and many other Florida cities have so much more to offer in terms of a creative community.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:16 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
I love your “47 Italian restaurants “ comment.

It’s like Delray- fine if you want to go out to eat.

This area is kind of odd. If it were crowded in a different way, it would be fine.

It’s great to have a medical school, etc. I guess what I don’t understand is the hype that places like Delray and Boca have about being hotbeds of creativity and uniqueness.

It’s okay for spectating, but unless you’re retired and take classes at Old School Square or the Boca Museum.
I’ll probably get flack for whatever I say, so...

Tampa, St Pete, Sarasota, and many other Florida cities have so much more to offer in terms of a creative community.
Boca runs through restaurants like Trump runs through White House staffers! Its not because they aren't good chefs but the costs are simply too high to operate successfully over a long period of time. Rents on Palmetto Park road have to be 10,000-20,000 a month, in Mizner a good sized restaurant has to be $30,000+ a month. If you need $1000 a day just to cover rent, how can you make any money on $10 pizzas or even $20 entrees?

Delray has the same issue. One of my favorite restaurants is closing this year (32 East). Guy sold his building for millions, so why work if you can cash out on the real estate! An Italian chain restaurant is moving into that location.

Lake Worth might be your creative, inexpensive spot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach