Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:59 AM

644 posts, read 1,474,188 times

Advertisements

I've explored all of Palm Beach County and know that the better areas are Jupiter, Wellington, Palm Beach Gardens, etc. Other than the downtown high rises, West Palm Beach is less expensive but not as nice in many areas.

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the gated communities out west in WPB like Baywinds (over 55), Andros Isle, Riverwalk? And if any have good or bad points over the others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 12:21 PM

22 posts, read 25,469 times
Default Gated Communities

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenpearl View Post
I've explored all of Palm Beach County and know that the better areas are Jupiter, Wellington, Palm Beach Gardens, etc. Other than the downtown high rises, West Palm Beach is less expensive but not as nice in many areas.

Has anyone heard anything good or bad about the gated communities out west in WPB like Baywinds (over 55), Andros Isle, Riverwalk? And if any have good or bad points over the others.

From my point of view all of these communities are nice. I am live and work in the Western Communities and really like it out here. I recently listed and sold a townhome in Riverbridge. The HOA fees are somewhat higher but the community offers a lot. Entertainment in the Clubhouse such as plays, musical entertainers, dinner and dancing etc. Very pretty community and well maintained. The HOA was $435 per month. Baywinds is also a nice community. HOA fees are around mid $300's I was just out at Andros Isle showing my clients a Villa. The community is nice and the HOA fees are typically less than $300 for Villas. My clients weren't enamored as all the Villas looked alike. Rows and rows of "pinkish/salmon" buildings.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:42 PM

Yes, I agree, I've seen the villas in Andros Isle but I am looking for a single family home. When you said you recently sold a townhome in Riverbridge, did you mean the community in Greenacres? Or did you mean Riverwalk?

Old 05-05-2018, 11:17 AM

1,708 posts, read 4,379,510 times
Depending on the price range you are looking for Portosol just west of west palm in royal palm has some reasonably priced newer homes.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:31 AM

Thanks. I'm trying to get something within a close driving distance of Palm Beach, no more than 15 years old, and without outlandish fees. It looks like I could get the type of house I want in the low to mid-$300's in WPB, but it would be more in the surrounding towns.

I like the Village Blvd. area location, but have heard mixed reviews on some of the communities in that area.

Old 05-05-2018, 11:58 AM

782 posts, read 753,061 times
Quote:
Thanks. I'm trying to get something within a close driving distance of Palm Beach, no more than 15 years old, and without outlandish fees. It looks like I could get the type of house I want in the low to mid-$300's in WPB, but it would be more in the surrounding towns.

I like the Village Blvd. area location, but have heard mixed reviews on some of the communities in that area.
HOA Fees are hard to avoid in the nicer/newer gated communities. While there is a perceived benefit there is also a negative, we lived in a gated community the HOA fees were $300 when we left, now they went up to $350. I have seen some as high as $500/month. Personally I would never live in another gated community, reason being is the HOA at our place made sure to have the front gate and elaborate clubhouse and pool area nicely maintained, alway's kept the landscaping on par but throughout the community you would see dead grass, weeds growing, tree roots damaging the sidewalks, and would mulch annually, they would only do a partial mulch lay down and would skip areas or lay it down so thin it just washed away.

They also would go out of their way to cite you for saying your pavers on your driveway needed pressure washed when they were fine, yet would totally overlook neighbors who broke the rules, put out gawdy/cheesy/cheap yard decorations that were against the rules. Our neighbor did this all the time, also had potted plants sitting around the back of the house, most were dead and not maintained, then during Xmas she would decorate and wouldn't take the lights down till April, one year the lights stayed wrapped around the Palm Trees well into June.

Also dont' think you are any safer living in a gated community, Palm Beach Polo has recently been experiencing theft and car break-ins. Homes in there are uber expensive.

Also suggest you research property taxes and the cost of insurance, all of which are very expensive.

Old 05-05-2018, 12:19 PM

I agree with all of the above. I've lived in three gated communities and have visited many others for vacation stays. That's why I won't pay outlandish fees, as I know it's a waste unless there is something special there that you are using frequently, like tennis or golf or clubhouse parties. My fee ceiling is probably $360 or so per month max, and I need to be getting something for that, like irrigation and landscaping, possibly internet, clubhouse with gym, etc.

Although there is no guarantee of safety (some criminals always live inside the gates), I think the good things about gated communities are socialization and less serious crime. Crime tends to be the petty variety like thefts from cars vs. murders.

Safety is such an issue that it's hard to find a good neighborhood that's not gated in the WPB area, although I'm sure many of us would love to do that and just handle our maintenance ourselves.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:10 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,379,510 times
Have you been in Saratoga bay? Could fit everything you are looking for.
Homes might be a little dated sub 350k but it's a nicer community.

Old 05-05-2018, 02:26 PM

Agree with your assessment, have seen some online. If it's the place I'm thinking of, they were built late 80's by DiVosta. The ones I have seen in my desired price range look like they would need substantial updating though.

Old 05-06-2018, 12:48 PM

782 posts, read 753,061 times
Quote:
I agree with all of the above. I've lived in three gated communities and have visited many others for vacation stays. That's why I won't pay outlandish fees, as I know it's a waste unless there is something special there that you are using frequently, like tennis or golf or clubhouse parties. My fee ceiling is probably $360 or so per month max, and I need to be getting something for that, like irrigation and landscaping, possibly internet, clubhouse with gym, etc.

Although there is no guarantee of safety (some criminals always live inside the gates), I think the good things about gated communities are socialization and less serious crime. Crime tends to be the petty variety like thefts from cars vs. murders.

Safety is such an issue that it's hard to find a good neighborhood that's not gated in the WPB area, although I'm sure many of us would love to do that and just handle our maintenance ourselves.
If they can get into Palm Beach Polo in Wellington at what it cost to live there, than one has to question gated security.

https://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news...AedJWZ5oFiIzJ/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...?fullpage=true

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...?fullpage=true
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach