Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 12:33 PM

910 posts, read 2,283,588 times

Advertisements

7) Yup, have gotten fliers or cards of at least two (but haven't been to them...).

9) According to the City of WPB Parks and Recreation website (http://www.wpb.org/park/parks.html - broken link) there are quite a few parks in WPB but I never noticed most of them, probably because I didn't see any people. Also parking seemed to be a problem for at least a small one I saw off of Flagler towards downtown. The only one I used to drive to when my kids were teens was also on Flagler but on the opposite side. I believe the name is Brian H. Chappell/Poinsettia Park (http://www.wpb.org/park/bchappell.htm - broken link)
, because parking was free and we could ride our bikes near the water (Intercoastal). A big one that I've been to (for a child's birthday party) is Okeeheelee Park, it has a bit of everything but at least for me it's out of the way. I've also been to Dreher Park (http://www.wpb.org/park/dreherprk.htm - broken link) which is next or across the zoo. There's a big one in Lake Worth (just south of WPB) called John Prince which has beautiful views, I stumbled on it once while kind of lost and the view of a lake with swans and all took my breath away.

12) I used to go to two different Asian grocery stores on Military Trail (WPB) but I believe one closed or moved. The other one which sell fish/seafood and fresh produce was still there the last time I visited a couple of months ago. I also go to a good Indian store on Okeechobee Blvd., which is actually not far from the Asian store, there may be more but I tend to move in the same circles all the time...

13) As for Latin stores, I know two supermarkets: Presidente and El Bodegon, d both are in So. WPB where the greatest concentration of Latins live. Again, there may be others but I don't go any further than to El Bodegon on Forest Hill. There are several smaller stores too, I've visited at least two of those.

15) WPB International Airport is right smack in the city. Whatever airlines don't fly from there you can find at the Ft. Lauderdale International Airport, which is about 1 hr. away (or less depending on traffic). My children and I have also used the MIA to travel to the Dominican Republic, it takes about 75-90 min. to get there from here on I-95.

One thing to consider is that ALL So. FL is like one big city. If you keep driving on certain roads (like Military Trail and Okeechobee Blvd.) you'll eventually end up in another town before you even realize it, so if WPB doesn't have what you need/want chances are you can easily find it nearby. To give you an idea, WPB is surrounded by: Palm Beach Gardens (that has a nice big mall and now has its own "downtown") to the north, Lake Worth to the south (which has a nice beach area and a large Latin population), Royal Palm Beach and Wellington (which also has a big mall and is more "upscale") to the west and the fancy and beautiful Palm Beach to the east (joined to WPB by 3 bridges).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 09:47 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,777,724 times
Well, let's be clear. If "diversity" is code for "African American", West Palm will have it. And plenty of Drive By's too.

The poorer areas of the Palm Beaches are violent, period. Google on it, don't believe me.

If you have $$$ all the other is probably find-able.

That" wierd socia-economic" comment someone else made has some truth to it. But as a native, let me tell you the truth. It's about money, period.

People who have traveled the world tell me they don't feel the pressure to be rich worse, anywhere else in the world that the Palm Beaches.

And given that the striation is basically, "Life is grand if you can afford the good locations, crime ridden if you can't" it strikes me as quite natural that everyone (and especially single gals) are running around trying to find out who the haves and have nots are.

Can't say's I blame then either. But it makes life tough on a single guy that doesn't lie about those things. Lot's of fakers out there. But eventually that hits the fan...

As one poster mentioned, there are redneck parts of the Palm Beaches too. Those folks have sort of a reverse snobbery going. "What would you want a Lexus for???" "Why would anyone want a Land Rover and not take it out in the boonies and screw it up???" etc. I know lots of those. Went to Jupiter High School back in the day. It was a mix of rich kids, rednecks, surfers, druggies, and everything else you can think of, LOL! The local papers once called it, "School of surfers and druggies". But that's only part of it.

As for the comments about AIDS, etc. Probably true. Belle Glade is AIDS central. Likely the same for Delray/Boynton as there's a Haitian presence there.

Bottom line, you gotta be rich to live the life in the Palm Beaches. It's my home, but I'd be hard pressed to go back without a way to afford the better spots.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:56 PM

15 posts, read 49,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post

As for the comments about AIDS, etc. Probably true. Belle Glade is AIDS central. Likely the same for Delray/Boynton as there's a Haitian presence there.
Being Haitian American, I feel that this comment was out of place & out of line. People of all races and ethnicities can carry a virus not just Haitians nor is it more prevalent in Haitians. Lets not be so ignorant in 2009, folks.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:21 PM

72 posts, read 160,457 times
"If you were 26 and single would you move to West Palm?"

No.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:19 PM

590 posts, read 1,008,522 times
I don't think you will have problems meeting young people in WPB, but you can't compare with NY. Being in doubt between WPB and NY is like being in dooubt between taking a nap and running 10 miles.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:44 PM

90 posts, read 225,599 times
buddy you want to move to Miami. Palm Beach is a lot more chill and for people who don't like nightlife but who do like big name stores/shopping. It's easier to live in WPB, but there's less to do. All of South Florida has Catholics, but WPB has a lot more protestants, especially Evangelicals.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:52 PM

90 posts, read 225,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdecapio View Post
I A practicing catholic by definition would abstain from sex before marriage, so unless they were doing drugs and were getting aids through needles, it doesn't matter what the HIV rate is in South Florida, a person who has never had sex or injected drugs into their bloodstream is not going to have hiv/aids.
So...practicing Catholic can shoot heroin, but not have sex? I'm confused...

Anyway, any practicing Christian of any denomination would at least aspire to wait until marriage...but only 5% of Americans do, and that includes the Mormons/Jehova's Witnesses/Evangelicals, all of whom (in that order) are more likely than Catholics to wait. But you're dead set on marrying a Catholic? (not that there's anything wrong with that, just asking).

Old 07-18-2009, 12:03 AM

296 posts, read 641,475 times
Well, I agree with the poster who said South Florida was like one big city, From West Palm to Miami, So yes, there is plenty of diversity, catholics, etc....There are tons of places to hang out , (downtown West Palm, Lake Worth, Delray,) hard rock in broward, and south beach is only about an hour. I lived there for about four years, its not bad to be single there, there are plenty of women around South Florida.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:07 AM

296 posts, read 641,475 times
There is plenty of hustle and bustle, Ive seen a few lating night clubs around west palm with lines backed aroudn the building, cant remember the name, Palm Beach has plenty of celebrities I think, im sure ther are plenty of catholics, citplace is nice and walkable and has horse buggies, im sure there are plenty of ethnic shops, etc... You should be able to find it here.

Old 07-22-2009, 06:54 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,494,960 times
Let's keep this thread centered on answering the original question......and refrain from posting ethnic and religious comments.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach