Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 05:01 AM

18 posts, read 20,153 times

Advertisements

I'm an American who's been living abroad for the last 21 years, with the last 12 of them spent in London. I'm now tired of the weather, so have decided it's time to head for "home" with a return to the US, and am considering locations in Southeastern Florida - basically just the area between Palm Beach and Miami, along the coast. Boca Raton keeps coming up as a great place based on demographics, but... will I be bored???

I'm a very young, soon-to-be 50 year old, active, independent, single female (although I'd prefer to change the single part! ), who is used to living in very metropolitan cities with great choices of excellent restaurants/bars/nightlife/culture, etc. I'd like to be around like-minded individuals... educated, well-travelled, active, etc.... (Obviously I'm not expecting another London here, but...) I work for myself, from my home, so am fortunate in the fact that I can do it from anywhere. I definitely want to be near the coast/beach as well. So... in the opinion of the locals, could I be happy in Boca? Would you recommend any other areas that I should consider, and if so, why? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 08:22 PM

106 posts, read 136,706 times
Boca would be a great option, the area around Mizner would give you much of what you're looking for. Downtown Delray Beach could work too as could WPB by Cityplace or Clematis. For a quieter environment, Jupiter is wonderful.

Old 02-06-2019, 12:38 AM

Thanks so much for your reply - exactly the info I'm looking for! I've heard good things about Jupiter as well but I'm concerned about the small population and 'quiet'. If I was coupled up or had a family it could be good, but as a single person, I definitely need a bigger place with a bit more to do. Thanks again!

Old 02-06-2019, 03:15 AM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkbtraveller View Post
I'm an American who's been living abroad for the last 21 years, with the last 12 of them spent in London. I'm now tired of the weather, so have decided it's time to head for "home" with a return to the US, and am considering locations in Southeastern Florida - basically just the area between Palm Beach and Miami, along the coast. Boca Raton keeps coming up as a great place based on demographics, but... will I be bored???

I'm a very young, soon-to-be 50 year old, active, independent, single female (although I'd prefer to change the single part! ), who is used to living in very metropolitan cities with great choices of excellent restaurants/bars/nightlife/culture, etc. I'd like to be around like-minded individuals... educated, well-travelled, active, etc.... (Obviously I'm not expecting another London here, but...) I work for myself, from my home, so am fortunate in the fact that I can do it from anywhere. I definitely want to be near the coast/beach as well. So... in the opinion of the locals, could I be happy in Boca? Would you recommend any other areas that I should consider, and if so, why? Thanks in advance for any advice!
You're not the only one from the Breakfast Club Generation. I was 15 when that first came out.
I lived in South FL for a year, and Boca Raton sounds very reasonable for your interest. It's a large metro area with a lower cost of living compared to Miami Beach or Key Biscayne. In terms of age diversity, it's far better than the college towns of Florida like Tallahassee (geared towards 18-22 in my opinion). Now, South FL is heavily Latin/Caribbean American the closer you get to Miami. But Boca Raton is somewhat removed from that a little north. I worked in Fort Lauderdale and noticed that a lot of Generation X coworkers bought homes up towards West Palm Beach and Boca Raton then commuted down I-95 or the Turnpike to get to work. The traffic can be harsh once you get into Fort Lauderdale and it swarms towards Miami. But if you stay in Boca and work there it should be ok. As a Generation X guy, I found those Miami Vice car chase scenes from the 80s to be grossly unrealistic in the modern context because Miami is inundated with traffic jams. I know the Dolphin Expressway at 8 AM - it's bad, really bad. But Boca Raton is further north and more friendly to driving if you live there and work in the same area. Those commuting from Boca to Miami would have nightmarish commutes.

I had the impression a lot of people lived in South FL for the beaches and weather. It has mild winters. The summers are hot but not as bad as Tallahassee. If you are a "beach" person and do things like boating, skiing, jogging along the beach, etc. you will probably enjoy it.

As for the dating scene, the odds are much better for you in South FL compared to the "college" towns. In Tallahassee the college cultures puts the undergraduate "FSU hottie" (ages 18-22) on the pedestal which isn't fair to women from Generation X. When I lived in Tallahassee the media frenzy was focused on the "FSU Cowgirls" with a woman noted by Brent Musberger during an FSU-Miami football game - Jenn Sterger (who herself is now middle-aged). But Boca Raton is not hyper-focused on college students for the dating scene like that. It's a great place for Generation X in my opinion.

I left and moved back to my home state of AZ. Despite being almost 50, I have been able to maintain my athletic lifestyle with high-altitude mountain running near Flagstaff, AZ. I still have the ability to play campus rec center basketball. My hair has not receded nor has it gone grey, so I can still casually stroll onto campus and jump into a game with no college student complaining about it. I came back to AZ for the mountains. I came in 2nd in one mountain race and told the event organizer about the Breakfast Club theme - "Don't you forget about me" - lol.

But I think you will enjoy South FL. Best wishes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ueaD22hg8

Old 02-06-2019, 03:41 AM

Thanks for the info @Grad_student200! Yeah, as I mentioned, I'm ONLY considering the small sliver of Florida along the coast from Palm Beach to Miama, so Talahasee or other parts of Florida are not even remotely options for me right now (although I'm sure they're lovely as well...). I appreciate your reply - thanks!

Old 02-07-2019, 04:23 PM

376 posts, read 1,866,463 times
I can probably give you a good idea of Boca & South Fl in general. I have lived in Boca for over 20 years. We (gay couple, late 40’swell traveled) live in East Boca. East Boca is the growing downtown area that hugs the coast. East Boca has had a significant amount of growth (buildings and younger people) over the past 10 years. Long time retirees tend to live out in more western parts of Boca. In fact most coastal cities have seen similar growth. People want to live nearer to the coast, less commuting etc. we now have a higher speed train with stops only in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale & West Palm.

Boca is a fairly affluent community. You will see a lot of flashy cars and wealthy. However, Boca has a very strong middle class community so it balances out.

Boca has a great green market on saturdays as well as lots of cultural events throughout the year. Our weather is gorgeous this time of the year. I mean gorgeous!!! But super hot in the summer.

Delray Beach to the north is another great option. A bit more touristy, and buzzy in its downtown area. Many people from Boca and other cities will go to Delray to dine and party. Tbe population is probably a bit younger too.

Ft. Lauderdale is a fun place but a bit too big and congested for my tastes. It also attracts all sorts of transients.

And yes I do get bored here at times. When I do I try to travel.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:05 AM

Thank you so much for your reply, @urbandeco! I really appreciate it!

Old 02-09-2019, 05:48 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Boca is very, very congested, especially during season. Crowds, hard to get parking at the beaches, 2-hr waits for restaurants, etc. It is not small town and it is not a big city either. Boca stretches from the ocean to the everglades. It's a very big town. SoFL is not the 'small, sleepy town' lifestyle portrayed on tv.

Go visit and drive around so you can see what you like.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:55 PM

6 posts, read 9,540 times
I love living here in East Boca. So many great outdoor activities, along with having an amazing Department of Recreation that offers so much to do for people of all ages. If you want to keep busy there is lots to do! Great offering of restaurants and bars can make for a fun nightlife.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:48 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Boca is very, very congested, especially during season. Crowds, hard to get parking at the beaches, 2-hr waits for restaurants, etc. It is not small town and it is not a big city either. Boca stretches from the ocean to the everglades. It's a very big town. SoFL is not the 'small, sleepy town' lifestyle portrayed on tv.

Go visit and drive around so you can see what you like.
Great post

OP I hope you're aware of the South Florida "Gold Digger" thing, since you mentioned your age and being single: You will find it hard to find age appropriate men, as they chase the 20-somethings down here. (If you're somewhat wealthy - you'll attract guys seeking a free ride...I'm painting with a broad brush...but it is a thing here.)

I'm sure you're already aware that culture is extremely limited in South Florida.
Miami would be your best bet for that.

Last edited by cfbs2691; 02-11-2019 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach