Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 01:58 PM

195 posts, read 130,514 times

Advertisements

Hola!*

We are in our late 40s (Californian + Colombian), moving from Central America to South FL with two kids in MS. Kids will go to private school (North Broward Prep) so school zoning is not an issue.*

As we work remotely with a local realtor, we'd love* to hear both your biased and unbiased opinions :-)

We're sociable, well-traveled professionals, looking for a beautiful, safe, calm, tennis/ swim-centric community (we don't play golf). We have seen online the spectacular pictures of the newer communities, but also read about some of the issues (noisy New Yorkers everywhere!). On the other hand, for the older communities, we wonder whether most folks living there will be older, with fewer and older kids, perhaps harder to get to know.

What would you consider in our situation?*

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 06:03 AM

17,298 posts, read 22,023,110 times
Boca Pointe is old (built in the 80s) and their residents are old also. BP is NOT a place I'd want to live with middle school age kids.

If you are commuting to NBP you really should live closer to the school and those other communities you mentioned are on the north side of Boca. Why not just live in Parkland? Remember it isn't just school days but hanging out with friends will be a hassle if you live far away. 10 miles to drop your kid at a friends, 10 miles home, then go 10 miles back to pick up then 10 miles home. You have driven 40 miles!

Old 05-04-2020, 01:41 PM

3,234 posts, read 3,191,046 times
I echo City Guy, based on what you shared. I wouldn’t consider Boca unless either you or your spouse will be working there. Look at Parkland or, if it’s out of your budget, Coral Springs.

Knowing where you all will be working, as well as your budget, will help us help you better.

Old 05-04-2020, 07:17 PM

Thank you both, this is helpful already :-)

Dear City Guy: Great point; BP is out of the race. Parkland is out of the race too, as we'd love to be closer to the ocean, not further from it. Any feedback about Oaks vs Bridges vs. Seven Bridges? Or another great community you'd suggest closer to NBP and the coast?

Dear wizrap: We can work remotely, dropping by Boca once a week. And budget--within reason--is not the main problem as my husband's company will be covering most costs for the first 6 months. Rather, what location and what community may make more sense for us? We'll probably rent for a year, to let us better explore the area and find the best fit.

Thank you again for your ideas...all this is new to us.

Old 05-05-2020, 12:05 PM

40 posts, read 86,337 times
Without a budget it’s hard to give advice. Both the bridges and 7 bridges are beautiful new GL communities, but they are not close to the beaches. The houses there are close to a million dollars, but finding a house to rent in a new development while they are still building is usually difficult even if it’s allowed.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsha7277 View Post
Thank you both, this is helpful already :-)

Dear City Guy: Great point; BP is out of the race. Parkland is out of the race too, as we'd love to be closer to the ocean, not further from it. Any feedback about Oaks vs Bridges vs. Seven Bridges? Or another great community you'd suggest closer to NBP and the coast?

Dear wizrap: We can work remotely, dropping by Boca once a week. And budget--within reason--is not the main problem as my husband's company will be covering most costs for the first 6 months. Rather, what location and what community may make more sense for us? We'll probably rent for a year, to let us better explore the area and find the best fit.

Thank you again for your ideas...all this is new to us.

If it was me? Deerfield Beach or Lighthouse Point for a canal front home. Smaller homes but the real estate will never lose value and since you are doing private schools you don't care about Eastern Broward County schools (they suck).

Old 05-08-2020, 10:22 AM

216 posts, read 327,777 times
Check out Parkland. Nice place to raise a family.

Old 05-08-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
If it was me? Deerfield Beach or Lighthouse Point for a canal front home. Smaller homes but the real estate will never lose value and since you are doing private schools you don't care about Eastern Broward County schools (they suck).

Thank you. That's indeed our dilemma the more we research this, to live in one of the nice communities (Oaks, 7 Bridges) inland, or find a canal-front home in Lighthouse Point.

Is there some nice community in Lighthouse Point with great amenities and a good number of international families? I see the Royal Palm Yacht & Country Club is over there but it sounds like the opposite of our vibe...

Old 05-09-2020, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsha7277 View Post
Thank you. That's indeed our dilemma the more we research this, to live in one of the nice communities (Oaks, 7 Bridges) inland, or find a canal-front home in Lighthouse Point.

Is there some nice community in Lighthouse Point with great amenities and a good number of international families? I see the Royal Palm Yacht & Country Club is over there but it sounds like the opposite of our vibe...
Not sure of your budget but a dry lot teardown in RPYCC is over a million dollars now. RPYCC is nice, some kids in there but certainly not a lot. I can remember 30 years ago a nice house (dry lot) was 300K and you could buy on the water for 750K!

LHP has some nice areas, I was there last Halloween and lots of people decorated, were out trick or treating. Lots of people riding around on golf carts.

Old 05-10-2020, 05:28 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,398,422 times
A comparable house to what you are seeing in the bridges will be double the price on the water.
There are new homes being built in east Delray /boca on old teardown lots that will be higher than out west but not as high as on the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach