Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
 [Register]
West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach Palm Beach County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 08:15 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOWOP2020 View Post
Did I just read this correctly? You are asking to mis-report official tax documents, or official documents to be used for that purpose? Pretty sure that's called evasion.

Are you allowed to mis-report actual prices in new jersey or falsify legal documents like that?

Did I mis-read something?
Given the fact that property tax is totally immoral and is on par with direct slavery, I would say it's highly moral to evade such tax. Yes, it's illegal, but yes, it's highly moral.

What one can do when law is wrong and immoral? Unfortunately, nothing...

But if he can evade that tax, my congrats!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 448 times
Question County property tax rates

Hi all, wondering why this thread and others suggest 2% and sometimes 3% for estimating FL prop tax from purchase price? Going to county tax sites, I see a little over 1%. I understand homestead and reappraisal process for new owners, just looking for a reliable way to estimate the tax based on purchase price minus homestead and going to county website. Maybe there’s specific neighborhood tax on property that is not easily seen or disclosed in listings? Thanks!

Old 08-16-2021, 06:31 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachfun99 View Post
Hi all, wondering why this thread and others suggest 2% and sometimes 3% for estimating FL prop tax from purchase price? Going to county tax sites, I see a little over 1%. I understand homestead and reappraisal process for new owners, just looking for a reliable way to estimate the tax based on purchase price minus homestead and going to county website. Maybe there’s specific neighborhood tax on property that is not easily seen or disclosed in listings? Thanks!
2% is a fair number...........the variables can include non-advalorem charges or a higher tax rate for a specific city.

Lets say you live on a street that was dirt for years then the county paved it, it might show up as a non-advalorem surcharge of $250 for the next 10 years (so you pay for your share). Ft Lauderdale has a major sewer issue going on (old pipes, lots of water main/sewer pipes bursting...google it). Some estimates are over 1 billion dollars, that will be charged to the property tax owners as surcharges to whatever they pay now.
I lived in a new construction home that had a $1000 added to the tax bill for 20 years, it paid for the new roads/sewers for that area. After the bond was paid off, the $1000 charge was no longer on the tax bill. So whether I had a 100K empty lot or a 2mm home, it got charged the same $1000.

This is my buddy's old house, it is oceanfront single family. They added sewers to the neighborhood, previously it was septic sewage. So for the next 15 years, the $4357 is paying for that sewer work and street paving. The non-advalorem charge is 3.6% of his already expensive tax bill.

Tax Year 2020
Ad Valorem $124,193
Non Ad Valorem $4,357
Total tax $128,550

This is the house directly across the street (non-oceanfront), significantly smaller/cheaper house.

Tax Year 2020
Ad Valorem $19,726
Non Ad Valorem $4,386
Total tax $24,112

Notice the same $4300 hit for the sewers BUT that is a 23% charge over his regular tax bill! That is a hard hit for the guy that lives in the smaller house.

So figure 2% of value when you buy a house and then keep an eye out for the extras!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > West Palm Beach - Boca Raton - Boynton Beach
View detailed profiles of: